Proofreading Gotchas

Cannot get lose and loose straight. Have to google which is which every single time.

I think my brain links my pronunciation of lose with spelling loose and pronunciation of loose with spelling lose or something. I know how to say them and which means which in conversation, just not what spelling matches which word.

Oh and here's another for me. For reasons unknown, possibly typing style (none), possibly some mental glitch (several), in order to type 'breasts' I need to do it one finger at a time or I end up with 'breatss'.

Oh and here's another for me. For reasons unknown, possibly typing style (none), possibly some mental glitch (several), in order to type 'breasts' I need to do it one finger at a time or I end up with 'breatss'.
I've found in editing that I have typed "breasts" as "beasts". I think I have corrected all of those, um, little beasts.

I have plenty of such mistakes in my writing and typing, sometimes even missing the space bar between words. And regardless of how many times I proof read, many of those mistakes go unnoticed.

This is why I began using the text to speech programs, to listen to the machine TELLING me what I have written. When I hear the words read by that impartial, and exact reading by the machine, the mistakes jump out at me.

I listen to my work-in-progress after I get to about a 70% completion, and listening to the story helps me with new ideas to change the story flow or insert additional details long before finishing.

But even after listening to the story when I consider it 99.9% complete, after I click "Publish", I'll re-read the online version and find yet another mistake.

"Perfect is the enemy of 'Good enough'"!

I always encouraged my students to read aloud for the final proofing; the eye tends to gloss over many errors and typos when scanning, but the tongue and ear (and mind) tend to catch 95% of them.

/This sentence no verb./
/This sentence has contains two verbs./
/This sentence has sofa six words./
and even logical errors and omissions
/This sentence would have been in Hungarian, but my grandfather died on Tuesday,/

(and now, if any more of my students are Litsters, they'll know who Tio Narratore is).

I always encouraged my students to read aloud for the final proofing; the eye tends to gloss over many errors and typos when scanning, but the tongue and ear (and mind) tend to catch 95% of them.

/This sentence no verb./
/This sentence has contains two verbs./
/This sentence has sofa six words./
and even logical errors and omissions
/This sentence would have been in Hungarian, but my grandfather died on Tuesday,/

(and now, if any more of my students are Litsters, they'll know who Tio Narratore is).
The problem with me reading my own story aloud is that it's still MY EYE picking up what I think I've written.

It's that third party reading my story which finds my mistakes. And technology has given me a machine perfect reader to read my text exactly as written.

The problem with me reading my own story aloud is that it's still MY EYE picking up what I think I've written.

It's that third party reading my story which finds my mistakes. And technology has given me a machine perfect reader to read my text exactly as written.
I find it better to read it aloud myself (same for my students). You just have to discipline yourself to read what's there, not what's in your mind. When you read it, then, it's not just a matter of 'seeing' what's wrong; you actually feel the problem as you speak it. I can hear things a person or machine reads aloud to me, but when I do it myself, I feel it as well as hear it.

I just submitted a story with sisters named Keily and Kelly. I went over it with a fine tooth comb. We'll see once it's published how many times I got them backwards... :)

I previously had great faith in Word and (free) Grammarly, but I recently did a final read through after both, and saw a number of simple things they missed. It makes me think this AI hype is overdone. AI still can't drive a car nor fully proofread up my messy writing!

Back