Rant about poets

Sabina_Tolchovsky said:
and how is this applicable to the converstation at hand other than just being a quote?

My recap:

Conversation begins with someone saying poetry isn't relevant. I say it is relevant because poetry and people are always relevant. People say it isn't because everybody isn't reading it. I say everybody doesn't have to read it. People say if everybody doesn't read it, they're stupid and should be told they're stupid until they read it. I say no. Leave them alone and read poetry and be happy.

No, stupid lady! You have low standards.

At this point I just giggle and start doing my own thing.

What did I miss?

that still does not answer the question of how Dennis Hoppers quote about armed forces is applicable to the converstaion at hand...if you can't swim in the big water I will just have to leave you on the shore....bye.

Sabina_Tolchovsky said:
that still does not answer the question of how Dennis Hoppers quote about armed forces is applicable to the converstaion at hand...if you can't swim in the big water I will just have to leave you on the shore....bye.

No! Wait! COME BACK! I'm so lonely!

I'm going to go write a poem.

And make you read it.

Until you come back and see things my way.

I'm going to write to my congressman and make them fix it.

And get a written apology from God.

My feelings are hurt.

Someone else make it right.

Sabina_Tolchovsky said:
No, stupidity is something that is not a choice...ignorance is and it does make you blind...
"You see, without the truth of the eyes
the happy folk were blind"
~Dennis Hopper.

Just for the record, this wasn't his quote. It's from a song by the Gorillaz, entitled "Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head". Dennis Hopper just read it.

duckiesmut said:
Just for the record, this wasn't his quote. It's from a song by the Gorillaz, entitled "Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head". Dennis Hopper just read it.

Does Tath know about this song? Inquiring minds....

Recidiva said:
My recap:

Conversation begins with someone saying poetry isn't relevant. I say it is relevant because poetry and people are always relevant. People say it isn't because everybody isn't reading it. I say everybody doesn't have to read it. People say if everybody doesn't read it, they're stupid and should be told they're stupid until they read it. I say no. Leave them alone and read poetry and be happy.

No, stupid lady! You have low standards.

At this point I just giggle and start doing my own thing.

What did I miss?

Show me where someone said, "...if everyone doesn't read it, they're stupid."

I don't think I said that and in reading back I don't think anyone else said that.
Some people have wished that poetry was more widely read but I don't think anyone said that people who don't read poetry are stupid.

The only position that has been labelled negatively is the idea that mediocrity is something that should be rewarded and lauded. I think too, that some of us are wondering why people striving to better themselves or who want to improve instead of hanging out in the same spot for the rest of their lives is such a bad thing? Just because you want to improve, that does not mean you don't appreciate where you are in the present moment. It just means you don't want to spend your whole life in that same space.

What I was trying to say was that if you reward mediocrity then people are left with the impression that that's all they should/need to strive for and you end with more mediocrity. If you encourage people to explore, to reach higher in every way, to be courageous in their choices and their efforts then you will see people do great things. I think that's true in poetry and pretty much every aspect of life.

*Catbabe* said:
Show me where someone said, "...if everyone doesn't read it, they're stupid."

I don't think I said that and in reading back I don't think anyone else said that.
Some people have wished that poetry was more widely read but I don't think anyone said that people who don't read poetry are stupid.

The only position that has been labelled negatively is the idea that mediocrity is something that should be rewarded and lauded. I think too, that some of us are wondering why people striving to better themselves or who want to improve instead of hanging out in the same spot for the rest of their lives is such a bad thing? Just because you want to improve, that does not mean you don't appreciate where you are in the present moment. It just means you don't want to spend your whole life in that same space.

What I was trying to say was that if you reward mediocrity then people are left with the impression that that's all they should/need to strive for and you end with more mediocrity. If you encourage people to explore, to reach higher in every way, to be courageous in their choices and their efforts then you will see people do great things. I think that's true in poetry and pretty much every aspect of life.

I made the point that there is no end to mediocrity. Mediocrity is the middle. Mediocrity is math. Extraordinary is having an original thought, not just telling people they're not having enough original thoughts. If you like original thoughts, have one.

Humanity has progressed. You can't judge the leading edge if you're in it. History just keeps on happening. People are critical all the time. There are always people busy doing things though, and not listening to what anybody has to say about it. Those are the ones I pay attention to. Actions, not words. Words are great, but actions are what matters. Words are entertainment. This is entertainment.

I am only pointing to the moon. If you can't see the moon, and say "That's just your finger" and I say "Fine, pull my finger" that's because I think you are dense and didn't listen the first time I said "Look. Moon. Pointing to it." And you weren't listening so I'm going to mess with you now.

Recidiva said:
I made the point that there is no end to mediocrity. Mediocrity is the middle. Mediocrity is math. Extraordinary is having an original thought, not just telling people they're not having enough original thoughts. If you like original thoughts, have one.

Humanity has progressed. You can't judge the leading edge if you're in it. History just keeps on happening. People are critical all the time. There are always people busy doing things though, and not listening to what anybody has to say about it. Those are the ones I pay attention to. Actions, not words. Words are great, but actions are what matters. Words are entertainment. This is entertainment.

I am only pointing to the moon. If you can't see the moon, and say "That's just your finger" and I say "Fine, pull my finger" that's because I think you are dense and didn't listen the first time I said "Look. Moon. Pointing to it." And you weren't listening so I'm going to mess with you now.

You have a knack for hearing what you want to hear or I guess in this case, reading what you want to read and therefore, discussion with you is a waste of my time to be blunt. Most of what you just said has nothing to do with anything I have said.

Have fun playing with your fingers and staring at the moon.

Last edited:
Recidiva said:
And you weren't listening so I'm going to mess with you now.

I so love a well reasoned argument while my morning coffee settles and I contemplate the choice that luncheon brings.

You go girl!

darkmaas said:
Recidiva said:

I so love a well reasoned argument while my morning coffee settles and I contemplate the choice that luncheon brings.

You go girl!

I love the neener neener neener Zen defense offense.

Recidiva said:
All I see are balls of gas, burning...

:)

I loved recidiva's synopsis-- it saves me a great deal of time and heartache!

So, we agree that poetry is a good thing, and that we should all try to write it better?

flyguy69 said:
All I see are balls of gas, burning...

:)

I loved recidiva's synopsis-- it saves me a great deal of time and heartache!

So, we agree that poetry is a good thing, and that we should all try to write it better?

I agree that poetry is a good thing, I occasionally write it. I leave comments and feedback turned on because I like a good giggle and a good compliment.

Recidiva said:
I agree that poetry is a good thing, I occasionally write it. I leave comments and feedback turned on because I like a good giggle and a good compliment.
Good reasons for reading, too!

I am just now reading this thread, but it seems there is more agreement than disagreement. The disagreement seems to be poorly focused on the role of wider audiences for poetry and the value of pushing for "improvement." I'm not going to put words in anyone's mouth, but these strike me as two rather different points.

I don't think Recidiva was arguing that mediocrity should be rewarded, but rather that it should not be lamented. It simply is.

And *catbabe*'s argument for more pressure on the middle legitimately moves the mean toward subjective "improvement."

Those don't seem conflicting views, to me.

Back