September Film Challenge 🎬

Day 19: A movie with your favorite character

I like not knowing what the day's prompt is, so I don't read ahead. If I did, I would have saved Evy Carnahan from "Favorite movie from a franchise" as my choice was based on her. Oh well, there are so many other good characters to chooes.

The Prophecy (1995) is an odd piece of religious horror, not a genre often seen. It has Christopher Walken as the Archangel Gabriel, who is a leader in the Second War in Heaven between loyalist angels and angels angry God gave humans salvation. The rebels want to put it back "the way it was before," before us talking monkeys. He is on Earth searching for the hidden soul of a deceased war criminal, which he thinks will win the war for him. It is an weird little film, with odd theology, but the dialog is excellent and, on the whole, is worth watching. I mean, you have Christopher Walken as an Archangel. How do you top that?

Two words: Viggo Mortensen.

No, sorry, four words: Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer.

Lucifer is a big character, one of the biggest, and most actors play him not just big but huge, over the top. Mortensen takes it in a different direction. His Lucifer is quiet, smooth, charming and disgusting in turns. And frightening. Very frightening. It isn't a huge role - he is in the last third of the movie. But he owns it, and taking it back from Walken is impressive.

The Prophecy (1995)
One of the best portrayals of Lucifer ever.

tenor.gif

Putting this on my watchlist immediately.
I second this recommendation. You can skip all the sequels though.

Day 20: A great movie you will never watch again

I’m not sure I’d classify this as a great movie anymore. I did like it a lot back in the day. And normally that’s the sort of thing I’d revisit periodically to evaluate how well it holds up with me. But you know, monster.

I think every movie I will never watch again has more to do with the people involved with it than anything about the movie itself.

Day 20: A great movie you will never watch again.

Irréversible is a 2002 French art-house horror film. There are technical reasons it was made to be uncomfortable, including using the jerky camera method as well as subsonics added to the soundtrack for the first hour. Ultra low sounds that physically affect the audience, causing low level nausea, were pumped through the speakers (and I saw it in a theater with a really good sound system). But mostly, because it embraces it's theme: "Le temps detruit tout" -- "Time destroys everything." And it shows that, brutally.

Irréversible has 13 scenes, shown in reverse order, from the end of the night to the morning. They are all single shots, with superb edits in places to keep that illusion going. It opens with a horrific murder and the aftermath, and spirals out from there. The film is infamous for its rape scene, which is utterly brutal. Nine unflinching minutes, with no fetishization or sexualization, just the agony and degradation of what Monica Bellucci's Alex endure. And you understand the reason for the murder at the beginning, and the futility of it hollows you out. It is like having Cassandra Tears -- you see the vengeance play out, and the cause, and you know that even that cathartic act is destructive and pointless, but you can't do anything about it. And time flows backward, from violence and horror to a quiet revelation. And that quietness is gutting.

It isn't a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the characters are unlikeable, and the jittery camera grates. But the structure, putting the violence and terror at the start and working backwards makes you confront that through the rest of the movie. I can't say I liked it-- this isn't a movie made to be liked. But it stayed with me, though I only watched it once.

Irréversible (2002)

Irreversible_ver2.jpg

Back