Statistical analysis of voting

Three words that will always get you laid...

MG-

You are right.

Very nice.

I feel better now.

:rose: b

Welcome back

Welcome back, Bridget. We missed you. I'm always glad to see someone who agrees with me.
MG

KillerMuffin said:
I think this is perfectly natural for her. She is the math girl.

Sometimes I think she can read the stories in their base binary form. That would be so cool.

lol

I'm not sure about the spelling, but...

1111110 00 0010001 11101 000 1 101010 100011 1111 0001010 1010 011 000 1010100 011 11010011010 0101010 1011 11000 011 110001001 0101 010011101 010010 1010111 000 000 001011 101 0010 0011101 000 110100011 01 01 01 011 000 10 101010 1000 001 101 10.

What do you think, MG? Poetic, isn't it?

Naughty!

Dear Svenska,
This is a public place! How can you use such language?
MG

Re: You brought this on yourself...

Svenskaflicka said:
...and now I have no other option than to say:

2!

Ohmigod! I was afraid you were going to say that.
MG

Re: Re: You brought this on yourself...

MathGirl said:
Ohmigod! I was afraid you were going to say that.
MG

A-ha! That will teach you not to mess around with ME!

*strutting away with a stuck-up expression on face*

Re: Re: Re: You brought this on yourself...

Svenskaflicka said:
A-ha! That will teach you not to mess around with ME!

*strutting away with a stuck-up expression on face*

You're such a gracious winner, Sevnska dear. I've always admired that about you.
MG

Hmmmmmmmm

Love it when girls talk dirty to each other.

TheEarl said:
Dunno. It's got nothing to do with binary that's for sure (says he who's just worked through the binary of 31/10 and 25/12). Put us out of our misery.

The Earl

Because 25 Dec is 31 Oct.

Hey, I wasn't pissing and moaning I was just stating a fact. Besides I don't put a lot of weight in scores anymore. I am much more appreciative of feedback. :p

Besides in the long run none of it matters. If I really cared I would find a way to make all My friends vote too. And you know friends all give 5's.

Geesh make a simple little statement and everyone thinks you're whining. I whimper dammit get it straight.

:p Well MG, it may have sounded like a whine but it wasn't. It was probably more venting. LOL.

Master_Vassago said:
I whimper dammit get it straight
Originally posted by MathGirl
Sure sounded like a whine to me
Originally posted by Master_Vassago
It was probably more venting
Is the collective verb for this lot "bickering"?

I don't think you can calculate the significance when you don't
know the scatter.
(BTW: Generally speaking, statistical discussion avoids
the idea of [countable] infinity. That's because two
infinities are equal. The number of integers evenly divisible by
123,456,789 is the same as the number of integers evenly
divisible by 2. What staisticians use instead are samples
which allow repetiton.]
:
I used a slighly different approach. I have five stories
on Lit which are also on Stories on Line. I compared the
relative votes in both places. The correlation was
abysmal (not that I took an actual correlation coefficient
-- that would be too much like work.)
The highest scoring story (among those five) on one site
was the lowest scoring story on the other. Numbers four
and five (lowest) on one site were numbers two and one on
the other.

Correction!

Uther_Pendragon said:
I don't think you can calculate the significance when you don't
know the scatter. (BTW: Generally speaking, statistical discussion avoids the idea of [countable] infinity.

Dear UP,
I was merely trying to make the discussion relevant for the mathematically challenged (which most people are, and have no reason to be otherwise.)

Of course, you know that I really meant "as the number of data points approaches infinity."

Also, I did not try to "calculate the signifigance" because of that very fact.

If you will read my conclusion, I think you will agree that it is valid. Of course you will, dear.

MG

Last edited:
Here's a thought, following up on UP.

Perhaps only the 'reads' numbers are indices of anything related to 'quality'. I realize that probably they are inflated in that they don't require reading a whole story, but if that's true of all authors equally...

Another index is the ratio of reads to votes, or that of votes to substantive pieces of feedback.

The whole issue of 'quality' is quite dicey. iirc correctly, hardly anyone appreciated the quality of Bach's music for a couple hundred years after. and surely even now he doesn't match Britney.

Further if you look back at such things as Academy Awards of 20 years ago and more; or 'bestsellers' of 10 or 50 or 100 years ago, most are totally forgotten.

As someone else said, maybe the only good qualitative 'index' is substantive and positive feedback--or at least intelligent feedback--from people who've got a brain in their head.

Pure said:
As someone else said, maybe the only good qualitative 'index' is substantive and positive feedback--or at least intelligent feedback--from people who've got a brain in their head.

But that sort of feedback is so rare as to make construction of any sort of index impossible. You can't plot a trend from a single datum.

Og

No shit

oggbashan said:
But that sort of feedback is so rare as to make construction of any sort of index impossible.

Ya shore got that right, podnah.
MG

Back