Stupid Place Names

In Louisiana, there's a small town named Cutoff, and then there's my favorite, Dry Prong, which I defy anyone to say with a straight face.

If you drive eastward on I-10, you'll notice that some of the signs denoting exits to certain towns off I-10 form names. When we used to drive on I-10 going through Louisiana, or from one part of Louisiana to the other, we used to laugh about them, referring to them as our disreputable Cajun cousins. I can only think of a couple of them now, since it's been such a long time since we were on that part of I-10: Toomey Starks and Elton Jennings. And then there was Daphne Fairhope, but she was in Alabama.

SlickTony, don't forget...

the Scott Cankton exit.

One of my favorites is a town in Texas called Cut N Shoot. It must have been a wild place back in the day.

Here's a list of a few strange place namesin my region. Newfoundland is probably the best for strange place names.

Newfoundland Names:

Halfway Point
Cape Bauld
Placentia
Conception Bay/Conception
Witless Bay
Heart's Content
Come by Chance

Nova Scotia Names:

Ecum Secum
Shag Harbour

Oil wells out west are known to have interesting names, as I found out when I was working for Dailey Oil Tools back in the late 70s/early 80s. "Drunkard's Wash" and "Little Blue Sheep" are the only two names I can think of.

Rubber Band on the Subject ;)

If I may bump...

snooper said:
It named after the English gardener Thomas Hoy and is defined as:
Any of various chiefly climbing or twining plants of the genus Hoya (family Asclepiadaceae), natives of the Far East, bearing dense umbels of fleshy or waxy pink, white, or yellow flowers. Also called wax flower, wax plant.

PS Sorry to inject reality into an interesting set of conjectures.

OH, not at all, my dearest Snooper. You've just mentioned shiny pink petals, and I know I'm not the only one who noticed. Come now, you could quote Sesame Street and we'd find humor in the raunchiness of it all. So, Hoya! to you.

Teehee.
:catroar:

P.S. Next time you see me, I shall have LOST my virginity!! Well, not physically, sillies. Just remember: if the post is rockin'...

Re: Rubber Band on the Subject ;)

Otus de la Nuit said:
Next time you see me, I shall have LOST my virginity!! Well, not physically, sillies.
Are you having trouble getting rid of your physical virginity then? Do tell all .... perhaps on Story Ideas.

*giggles* hmm...nope, unless I'm horribly delusional, I'm all taked care of in that area. Thank you for asking, though.

With care,
Otus the Corrupted

Back