Svenskaflicka, if you intend to PM people

Zebaroo

Svenskaflicka said:
Ah, the mating call of the zebaroos!

No, dear, there's only one zebaroo. That being the case, it would seem that the evolutionary development of that species is going to come to a rather abrupt halt.

It's a bone-chilling 55 degrees F here today. How is the weather over there? How many hours of daylight are there these days?
Minutes of daylight?

Diane the Geographically Challenged but Still Sesquiligual

Last edited:
Wouldn't that thing be a "Zebramroo" or something to that effect?

It's a toasty 13°F here ... My only regret is that these months of deep winter (i.e., Jan & Feb) aren't longer.

Re: Zebaroo

MathGirl said:
No, dear, there's only one zebaroo. That being the case, it would seem that the evolutionary development of that species is going to come to a rather abrupt halt.

It's a bone-chilling 55 degrees F here today. How is the weather over there? How many hours of daylight are there these days?
Minutes of daylight?

Diane the Geographically Challenged but Still Sesquiligual

I'm great at languages but bad at math...:(

How many centigrades are 55 F? We have a short break in between the chill attacks, the sun is up and I think it's no colder than inside a fridge. I'm eagerly awaiting February, when it will get warmer and sunnier and one can wear nylon stockings outside without freezing one's legs off.

That's the weird part about winter in Sweden. It's meat-storage-temperature all through January, then the snow melts away in February, and girls in short skirts sit on the dry, warm streets to catch a little sun, before April comes and seaps us into its snowstorms and chill again. The real spring isn't setting in until May.

Converting F to C...

First subtract 32 from the 55F, then divide by 1.8=12.78C
To convert C to F multiply 12.78C by 1.8, and add 32

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

Last edited:
It's meat-storage-temperature all through January, then the snow melts away in February, and girls in short skirts sit on the dry, warm streets to catch a little sun, before April comes and seaps us into its snowstorms and chill again. The real spring isn't setting in until May

It's probably put there to make winter bearable. I mean, five months or so is just too damn long. Especially if you're not expecting it. Sometimes even if you are expecting it.

One of the enduring works of young people's literature in my country is Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter, which was about this record long winter they had in the plains states, including North Dakota where the family was living at the time. From about November until May, they would get blizzards every three days, true white-out conditions where the wind used the snow to scour your skin off, except you'd have frozen first, and no one went out; you did not want to be caught outside your house, not even within sight of it, when the next storm blew up. People suffered greatly, and some of them died. Trains sent to bring supplies to the beleagured people failed to get through; they got mired in great drifts of snow and could not even be dug out until May, when the winter finally withdrew.

The Ingalls family stayed in North Dakota for several years after that. I wouldn't have. 'Course, I wouldn't have gone there in the first place. In my family we have three criteria for whether a place is fit to live in: (1) There must be an ocean; (2) There must be no snow; and (3) They must know how to season their food. It is a known fact that N. Dakota signally fails on the first two points; as for (3), I once had some chili made by a Minnesotan, and Minnesota has much in common, culturally, with North Dakota, so I'd say I was on solid ground there, too.

Logica thermalus

Svenskaflicka said:
Thank you, Dirt Man! I'm keeping this formula, it will help me a lot in the future.

I don't see why that would help. Isn't the amount of ambient heat the same, no matter what scale you use? I mean, it's just as cold at 32F as it is at 0C, isn't it? I don't worry about it, though, because it never freezes here.

Re: Re: Zebaroo

Svenskaflicka said:
I'm great at languages but bad at math...:(

How many centigrades are 55 F? ... The real spring isn't setting in until May.

I hadn't up until this point really believed that flicka was Swedish, her English was just a little TOO good.

NOW I believe.:p

Me being

Gauche

I don't see why that would help. Isn't the amount of ambient heat the same, no matter what scale you use?

Of course it helps. Your perception of temperature tends to be bound up in what scale you're used to using. If you're faced with an unfamiliar scale, it's hard to know.

Being an American I am used to the temperature measured in Fahrenheit. If I haven't stuck my head out the door in the morning and the weather guy comes on televsion saying that it's a certain temperature, I have some idea of what's out there before I go out there. If he says it's in the 60s but I can see it's sunny, I'll know it'll be practically balmy in the sun but quite cool in the shade. If he says it's going to get down into the 30s as opposed to the 20s, I'll know whether or not to drip the pipes and bring in the plants. If I hear it's going to be in the 90s, I know it's going to be a scorcher out there--unless, of course, the temperature is accompanied by high humidity, and then I know that as soon as I go out, this temperature+humidity is going to descend on me like a big, wet blanket.

Going to that other problematic scale, if someone says he or she is 5'8" tall, I know how tall they are (actually, my height). If they say it in centimeters, I didn't come up with centimeters; therefore, I have a hard time envisioning how tall he is.

I'm glad that Dirt Man put the guide out there, because I never can remember it--I'm always getting mixed up as to what to subtract 32 from, and stuff like that. They've been telling us for lo these many years that one of these days America is going to have to suck it up and go metric. I've been hearing this since I was a kid and it hasn't happened yet.

Re: Re: Re: Zebaroo

gauchecritic said:
I hadn't up until this point really believed that flicka was Swedish, her English was just a little TOO good.

NOW I believe.:p

Me being

Gauche

Why, how nice of you to say that! Thank you!:) :eek: :kiss:

Still, you'd have thought that the ability to translate stuff into Swedish would be a clue.;)

Re: Logica thermalus

MathGirl said:
I don't see why that would help. Isn't the amount of ambient heat the same, no matter what scale you use? I mean, it's just as cold at 32F as it is at 0C, isn't it? I don't worry about it, though, because it never freezes here.

The big difference is when we have -28C, you have 4F, which SOUNDS much warmer, since it doesn't have a minus in front of it!:)

Hi

Of course svenska is Swedish her English is better than mine, Skandinavians pride themselves in learning proper English as a second language.
I was courting a Norwegian girl back in the 70's when I visited her in Norway her younger brother had to keep correcting my speech whenever I lapsed into slang.

pops................:D

Joke

pop_54 said:
Of course svenska is Swedish her English is better than mine, Skandinavians pride themselves in learning proper English as a second language.
I was courting a Norwegian girl back in the 70's when I visited her in Norway her younger brother had to keep correcting my speech whenever I lapsed into slang.

pops................:D

Father: How was school today, son?
Son: Great! We had English class, and we learned how to say "please" and "thank you".
Father: Then we should start speaking English at home, because yoou don't seem to know those words in Swedish!

On the subject of heat, nothing upsets me more than when authors write about spunk (cum, jizz, etc) coming out in hot spurts. It doesn't. Men have evolved a sophistacted heat-exchange system in our goolies (gonads, bollocks, balls) that maintains our sperm at slightly below body temperature.
It feels nice and cool. Ahhhh. Yes, I'm right: 34 degrees celcius.

Heat is transferred AWAY from knuckles TOWARDS cum until thermal equilibrium is reached.

Consider a black body for a moment. Ok, you can stop now.

-50 Farenheit = -50 Celcius.

Did you know that airforcemen are told to piss on their hand to release it if it gets stuck to the metal hull of an airplace in sub-zero temparatures? Of course if BOTH hands get stuck you need assistance.

The inside of our bodies have a temperature of 37C, but the outside is a lot cooler. That's why the sperm feels hot, because it has a temperature that is warmer than the skin.

Svenskaflicka
The Scientist

Re: Joke

Svenskaflicka said:
Father: How was school today, son?
Son: Great! We had English class, and we learned how to say "please" and "thank you".
Father: Then we should start speaking English at home, because yoou don't seem to know those words in Swedish!

Giggle, sort of thing I say to my kids:D

Urinary antifreeze

Sub Joe said:

Did you know that airforcemen are told to piss on their hand to release it if it gets stuck to the metal hull of an airplace in sub-zero temparatures? Of course if BOTH hands get stuck you need assistance.

The airman would be in big trouble if his hand got frozen behind him. I guess that's when you find out who your real friends are.

What if the airforceman is an airforcewoman?

Last edited:
Svenskaflicka said:
What an argument for not licking on frozen lampposts... *feeling queezy*

Who would argue that licking frozen lampposts is a good thing?

Gauche

Licking frozen metallic objects

gauchecritic said:
Who would argue that licking frozen lampposts is a good thing?

Gauche

Those who like to lick frozen doorknobs or the bottom of metal ice cube trays, I suppose.

The whole thing is an excellent argument for a). wooden lamp posts and/or b). living in a temperate climate.

I don't think I even saw a wooden lamppost when I was a kid, and it's been longer since I was a kid than it's been for a lot of y'all. And the temperate climate, I'm completely behind--this morning, there was Nasty White Stuff all over the cars and houses. We've had it for the last three days. I always think, "Sheesh--and this is supposed to be the south."

Just got off the phone with my bro in L.A. He told me it's 80 degrees over thre right now. I guess there has to be SOME reason to live in California...

Back