The 50 Plus Cafe, Pub, All-Nite Greasy Spoon and Dive Bar

I am from near Cologne in the Western part of Germany. I have relatives in Ostfriesland (Aurich), too.
Wow! That’s close. My people are from Großefehn/Spetzerfehn.

The old man, still speaks Plattdeutsch. It’s more like old English than German.

I know several people who are from
Koln.

Just so you know, my German is really bad!

as my English is ...

The real Ostfriesisch is more or less not spoken anymore. You are right, what is now partially spoken by older people is a Frisian version of "Plattdeutsch". You are right, that is very much influenced by English.

I have relatives from the lower Rhine region, too. There was a "Plattdeutsch" variant spoken with many connections with Dutch. I like that very much. I can understand that but i cannot speak it.

Example:

"Dumm Tüch!" in plain German "Dummes Zeug" literally "dumb things" means "Nonsense"

as my English is ...

The real Ostfriesisch is more or less not spoken anymore. You are right, what is now partially spoken by older people is a Frisian version of "Plattdeutsch". You are right, that is very much influenced by English.

I have relatives from the lower Rhine region, too. There was a "Plattdeutsch" variant spoken with many connections with Dutch. I like that very much. I can understand that but i cannot speak it.

Example:

"Dumm Tüch!" in plain German "Dummes Zeug" literally "dumb things" means "Nonsense"
I feel like a mom... I have no idea what you kids are learning...lol

I do not like Berlin and the Berliner (the inhabitants). Too large, too loud,, too dirty ... I know that Germans have the reputation to be unfriendly ... but Berliner are even from German perspective very unfriendly.

A famous joke about that is:

A Berliner in Vienna asks an Austrian how to go to the Stephansdom:

"Ey , Männeken, wie komm ick zum Stephansdom?! (Hey, midget,can you show me the way to the Stephansdom?!"

Der Österreicher:
"Hören Sie, könnten Sie etwas freundlicher fragen?" The Austrian: "Please, could you ask a bit more friendly?"

Der Berliner
"Neee, da verloof ick mir lieber!" (Der Berliner: "No, then I prefer to get lost!"

Back