The murder of a good story

oh I do agree!

It's the story that counts

Whether it grabs you and you want to read on!

I have read published books, some are 'perfectly written', but plowing through 2 chapters of descriptions of the settings, well written, but hardly any story, I battled on, then gave up!
"Yawns"
These were well know authors with wonderful words, but I really don't care about all the setting!
Who cares how emerald green and lush the meadow is?

Others badly written, but published and I read them, even gritting my teeth at all the errors I noticed, but the story was great.

So, rules are rules, but it's the story!

Well, my 2 cents worth!

:rolleyes:

If you want to see some modern literature that breaks rules on occasion, read anything by Bret Easton Ellis or Chuck Palanhuik. Some of it may be inspirational, it certainly inspired me.

Dragonette -- The story is most, but not all, of the definition of a good read. I continue to stress balance, moderation, and plain old 'keep the plot moving'. Description is wonderful, within reason. Mixing action in with description gives vision during the action. Pure description has always been boring to most people. The trouble with amatuer (and some professional) writing is that a writer will 'set' the scene, and then tell the action, instead of setting the scene as the action flows on. Finding the balance is difficult, but it makes the story more palatable.

Mickie

Agreed

Balance is right

I also enjoy Terry Pratchett, very amusing writing, like Anthony Piers

Back