The Tristesse2 Tapes

which is exactly why that line works so well and, i feel, the last line superfluous.

there are a couple of other places where tess could drop a few words (imo) but this isn't the place to discuss them unless tess wishes to here.

That line does work well, but the last line has nothing to do with the sound or feel of the water. We simply disagree about its value to the poem, it appears.

That line does work well, but the last line has nothing to do with the sound or feel of the water. We simply disagree about its value to the poem, it appears.

..It could possibly be moved up two lines and gain a small sonics ...ah, thing, but I think it may be perfect in imperfection, if any. shutting up now.

..It could possibly be moved up two lines and gain a small sonics ...ah, thing, but I think it may be perfect in imperfection, if any. shutting up now.

I was just smiling to myself that I'm usually with the 'less is more' crowd, so I understand that side of the argument very well. Ah, poetry. Nothing like it.

I'm very grateful to all of you for your in-put. I've tried pruning it, reorganizing the 3rd stanza and clipping the last line. I think, whether through documentaries or life experience, the sound a whale makes when surfacing is familiar so ... off with the line!

This is an unhappy place,
specters from a brutal time
stalk the stony shores.
Nature has tried to heal the wounds
with sapling and vine while the Sitka spruce
stride away from the memories
into damp darkness.

Only stone stands firm,
a flight of mossy steps to nowhere,
sea-weedy pillars supporting nothing
more than birds where slip-way
or haul-up once waited
for flenchers and the lacerated giants.

Bunkhouse, rendering shed and bone crusher
are mapped in foundations, broken walls.
Wood has rotted to a feeling,
ghostly broken shapes worn to the core
by weather and time.
Iron hulks lie here too, rusted red,
memories of blood spilt. On my hands
it smells of death, geologic,
ancient.

I long to leave this haunted place
and yet it holds me here
in the sun and seabird cries.
Out to the placid sea, away from the sadness
a smooth, dark back arches
out of the dappled swell.

My thanks to butters, theo and HH for your valued offerings. :rose::rose::rose:

Someone must be feeling left out ...

My World Famous Questionaire

• If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

• What is the best gift you’ve received?

• Which hobby would you pursue if you had more time?

• If you could have any super power what would it be?

• What is the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?

• What was your most epic road trip?

• What food brings back childhood memories?

• Which book most influenced your life?

• What is the most valuable piece of advise you ever received?

• If you could go back and relive one day in your life. Which one
would it be and why?

• What advice would you give your ten year old self today?

• What do you most admire in a man?

• What do you most admire in a woman?

• What word or phrase do you most over-use?

• Who are your favourite writers?

• Which artists do you most admire?

::

My World Famous Questionaire

• If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Right here in this little fishing village on Vancouver Island. The big city's a ferry ride away if I yearn for the traffic jams. I used to think New England would be nice but this place even beats Hermit Island.

• What is the best gift you’ve received?

A gizmo called a Gimble Book Holder from U.K. which allows me to read using my right hand only now that I'm virtually one handed.

Which hobby would you pursue if you had more time?

Time is not a problem for me but, if I could I'd try to perfect my painting.

• If you could have any super power what would it be?

A healing power would be nice, failing that the ability to fly.

• What is the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?

Skinny dipping in Fiji.

• What was your most epic road trip?

Driving non-stop from Ottawa to New Orleans with one other person, sleeping and driving alternately.

• What food brings back childhood memories?

Potatoes baked in their skins, aniseed balls and chocolate-mint ice cream

• Which book most influenced your life?

As a child "Swallows and Amazons" gave me a love of reading and a taste for adventure.

• What is the most valuable piece of advise you ever received?

I had a parent who quoted proverbs ad nauseam. "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" was the one that stuck.

• If you could go back and relive one day in your life. Which one
would it be and why?

My wedding because it was hilarious and the beginning of the best of my life.

• What advice would you give your ten year old self today?

Realise you're really not so plain and just as accomplished as your sister.

• What do you most admire in a man?

Integrity and a sense of humour.

• What do you most admire in a woman?

The same as in a man.

• What word or phrase do you most over-use?

Amazing.

• Who are your favourite writers?

Ian McEwen, Julian Barnes, Cormack McCarthy, Patrick O'Brian, Barbara Kingsolver, Margaret Atwood.

• Which artists do you most admire?

Andrew Wyeth, Philip Ciolina, van Gogh, The Dutch masters

These are very lovely, Tessie. I like them all, but am particularly attracted to the fish.

Thank you. :):heart:

Have you sold your work, or is it simply something you've done for personal enrichment? Do you have a personal chop mark? I did not see one in the images.

I have given my art away as gifts but not my Chinese stuff, pencil sketches and pastels. I'm not nearly good enough to expect payment or for a personal chop. I can no longer do this painting to my satisfaction but it was just a hobby.

More fish just for you.
Nice. I especially like the catfish.

I don't know a lot about sumi painting. I do know that several Seattle artists were interested in it. George Tsutakawa, for example, who is probably better known for his fountains. Mark Tobey did some abstract work in sumi. As, I think, did Morris Graves. Sumi painting, of course, not abstract.

I know you consider yourself amateur, but I think your work is quite good.

Paintings and poems, of course.

I love that Tobey piece! It looks so simple...."a child could do it" but it's not so easy. The movement and texture, the vitality, I could look at it for hours.

I love that Tobey piece! It looks so simple...."a child could do it" but it's not so easy. The movement and texture, the vitality, I could look at it for hours.
Tobey was an interesting guy. He was the second American (after Whistler) to win the Grand Prize at the Venice Biennale. (There's been a slew of them since.) He was one of the first, if not the first, painters working in that kind of "all over" abstraction that is probably most prominently exemplified by Jackson Pollock. Tobey's works tended to be rather small, during a period where Abstract Expressionism was getting really big, so that, and with his residence outside of New York he never quite graduated to the Big Time.

Or so a Seattle Art Museum curator told us at a lecture last year.

They are, of course, not biased by having significant Tobey holdings. ;)

Anyway, interesting artist.

Back