This thread is about me.

WhiteWave48 said:
I know this offering is late in the discussion about how to submit a poem, but I recently discovered the power of the blue 'pending' link on the story submission page. If you submit and realize you've made a mistake, you can check to see if the 'pending' sign is still up. If you click on it, you can open up your poem and edit as many times as you like until the Lit editors finally post it.

When I paste my text in the box, I like to include a 'line for nothing' at the end of each submission. That way the effect of the final line of the piece is not lost in the voting bumpf at the bottom of the Lit page. So many poems leave no space between the poem and the voting/feedback instructions.[/QUOTE]

now THAT is worth knowing. i have seen this a lot, including on my own sub and it ruins the visuals imo. thanks!

UnderYourSpell said:
OK I will now be very blonde and ask ... how?

Maybe an instruction in the "notes" section? We'll see what WhiteWave says. I never thought to do it. It's very clever isn't it? :)

Well I had wondered before and had tried to leave a gap when I submitted but it was never there on arrival !!!

WhiteWave48 said:
The way I do it is to put a return (by pressing 'enter') at the end of the final line, and I check the hidden text (that backwards 'P' sign on the toolbar) to make sure just a single return is there as a symbol, bottom left, below the final line. To submit, I always paste my text in the box. When I highlight the text, I always check to see if it that return is showing up. After I paste the text in the box, I'll highlight it there as well, just to make sure the return didn't vanish somewhere along the way. To me it's worth the extra fuss.

I notice this problem occurs with stories too. That space is so important that it probably should be part of what happens to a submission when it's accepted by the Lit team and posted by them - part of their format.

There are other things I target too, like double dashes and double line spaces, now that I've found out how.
If you paste your code into the box, you can add some limited HTML codes to force blank lines at the end of the poem. I have inserted <br/> (line break tag) to do this and I know others have used the   (non-breaking space) character.

The latter is also useful if you are trying to indent lines in your poem.

WhiteWave48 said:
Thank you, thank you... I could only guess at how poets managed their layout on Lit, as I only know a few HTML codes. Now I have stored this valuable piece of information.
You're very welcome. :)

The italic (<i></i>) and bold (<b></b>) tags work as well. I am not sure what others. I don't think you can change fonts or sizes.

This looks like an excellent thread to jack.

Just found this one

Slow day at the shop so I confess to having spent the last HOUR in icanhazcheezburger, laughing my ass off.

bj

Tzara said:
If you paste your code into the box, you can add some limited HTML codes to force blank lines at the end of the poem. I have inserted <br/> (line break tag) to do this and I know others have used the   (non-breaking space) character.

The latter is also useful if you are trying to indent lines in your poem.

all I ever had to do was hit enter a few times and would get all the blankness I needed. computers are weird, aren't they ;)

Tzara said:
You're very welcome. :)

The italic (<i></i>) and bold (<b></b>) tags work as well. I am not sure what others. I don't think you can change fonts or sizes.
If you right click on any web page in an explorer window you can select "View Source" and that will reveal all embedded codes on the page. Sometimes it's a case of TMI but if you apply your UFI filter, it's all good.

TMI= Too Much Information and UFI= Useless F'in' Information.

ok, so, I'm playing around with an image for an avatar. (For the fateful day when i hit 100 posts, of course.) I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, I like the colors. On the other, i can't help looking at it without thinking of Rocky Horror. Any comments? Suggestions?

Attachments

• lips3.jpg
    lips3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 8
unpredictablebijou said:
This looks like an excellent thread to jack.

Just found this one

Slow day at the shop so I confess to having spent the last HOUR in icanhazcheezburger, laughing my ass off.

bj

Mission accomplished! I just laughed myself sick.

SweetMerry said:
ok, so, I'm playing around with an image for an avatar. (For the fateful day when i hit 100 posts, of course.) I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, I like the colors. On the other, i can't help looking at it without thinking of Rocky Horror. Any comments? Suggestions?

suggestion .... the IS a case of size is everything ...

Since this thread is about me, I'm taking space here to explain some common local slang: Fu.

The origin point of the term is the movie reviewer whose alias is Joe Bob Briggs . Here's a sample review of the 2002 movie Cheerleader Ninjas. I am a huge fan. He's the only movie reviewer I trust.

Many readers picked up the term "Fu" which Joe Bob used to mean, vaguely, "an event which happens involving," however in my world it now often means specifically that event which occurs when one is ingesting a substance while reading something on line and laughs suddenly. Sinuses are often involved, as well as the necessary cleaning of liquids or, gods forbid, solids, off of one's keyboard and screen.

Example: just now, following Tzara's link on "Poem Beginning Pee" in the "Seriously" thread, I was tempted to post the phrase "Cheap Gas Station Cappucino Fu!" but I didn't want to distract everyone from being serious.

So it's in here. I suspect Tz won't mind too much.

bj

Thankyou for clearing that up as I was for a moment distracted as to why you were discussing EffU which it turns out is another kettle of fish entirely!

Back