What are your guilty writing habits?

My guilty habit is that anyone close to me thinks I'm editing someone else's work or writing for the mainstream when I'm writing erotica.

I use “all” too often. For example: “She took off all her clothes” instead of just “She took off her clothes”.

Also, I often have characters “start” to do something instead of just doing it. For example: “She started sucking his cock” instead of just “She sucked his cock.”

Also also, I use “just” too much. For example: See above.

Fuck your punctuation and grammar rules if they don't fit. "Oh, my God?" No, there's no fucking pause there. "Oh my God!" The only reason I'd even qualify this as "guilty" is because of all the squiggly lines that Word, Docs, Grammerly, or whoever puts under my "errors."
From the moment I open a speech or thought quotation until the moment I close it there is no such thing as either grammar or spelling.

I do try for consistency based on the character. But I will purposefully throw out proper grammar and spelling.

One of my guilty writing habits...

might be...

that I have this annoying trend of...

using '...' to end a statement way too often...

it just... keeps happening...

I've been trying to get myself to go back and remove them, because outside of a speaking moment for a very specific style of speaker they just don't belong. But I keep using them.

I also like short paragraphs.

Sometimes I have to really struggle to have more than a single sentence in a "paragraph".

But that also combines itself with a frustrating habit of writing extremely long sentences, where I will ramble on with a million angles for a point, going this way and that, all withing that same sentence; rather than more properly breaking it apart into something smaller and more digestible because I just keep writing stream of thought like without ever seeming to end.

Hard Rock Candy was my guilty pleasure while writing. Sucking on licorice, horehound, and cinnamon most often while I type away and new layers to my ass, I mean story.

Interrobangs? Licorice? Is that the guiltiest you can get? Am I surrounded by nuns and ascetics?

Wait! I need to check the site I'm on. Okay, erotica. Sex of all kinds, much of it transgressive and perverted.

Phew. Okay, Let's talk real guilty habits.

My guilty writing habit is to write chemically enhanced: caffeine, alcohol, cannabis (all legal in my state). But I'm a sophisticated connoisseur of them:

Coffee: I pour filtered water from a national park, at a precise temperature, over burr-ground estate-grown beans.

Alcohol: a master sommeliere at my local wine shop curates dark reds for me.

Cannabis: only flowers of sativa, high in THC, in a special sous vide system.

Hemingway said, "Write drunk, edit sober." That's how you do a guilty writing habit.

I write on my phone while nude sunbathing...wait a minute, I think you might be asking about a different kind of guilty writing habit...😲

Everything I write here is entirely made up. Lies, dreams and fantasies. Or at least imagination. If I had to "write what I know", it would cover less than half a Lit page, and I'd have to tag it "bland".

Hi everyone! I'm Kasumi Lee. StealthBreeder is a penname I used to use years ago and now I can't change it.

A couple of months ago, I published my first ever Incest/Taboo story under the title A Mother's Lust. It's a first-person POV story told entirely from the perspective of (no prizes for guessing) the mother. The reception to my first foray into Incest/Taboo was shockingly positive (to me, at least), but there's one comment from a certain @doorknob22 that got me thinking:

If Literotica's comments section had a reply function (petition to add this feature?), I would have explained to doorknob22 that his full legal name is in fact "My Son and Firstborn Fruit of My Feminine Loins Smith Jr.", but the rest of the family just calls him "My Son" for short.

In all seriousness, however, the truth is I just couldn't be bothered to give the characters names. Why should I? They're all family members of the MC/narrator, so from her perspective, they really are "my son", "my husband", "my older daughter", "my younger daughter", etc., and that's all the reader needs to know.

This example technically doesn't count under the title of this thread because I don't actually feel guilty about it, and it's also not something I habitually do when I write, but it is something that will get mixed responses from readers, and it's also something I'll be tempted to do again with future stories for the same reason.

I don't want to set this up as a discussion about the relative merits of naming or not naming characters (not that I'll be able to stop it if that happens), but what are your guilty or not-so-guilty habits when you craft your own stories?

Best,

Kasumi Lee
What is my guilty writing habit????
Wine, and lots of it....
A nice chardonnay, A sweet shiraz, A merlot...
A glass is never enough...

Cagivagurl

I'm not sure if you're talking about habits in writing, or habits that you do while writing. I tend to get really worked up while I'm writing, trying to feel what my character is feeling, so I tend to take lots of... research breaks?
I meant guilty habit the writing itself. No need to feel guilty about getting wet from reading your own story, that's a sign of a quality sex scene! 😜

I have 5 YouTube accounts because at any given time I am banned on 4/5 of them...or 5/5 of them. 50% of my comments are valid, the other 50% pure shit-posts.

Back