What does the poet community do for Lit?

lickmyboot
Experienced

LOL

I like your style. ;)

MUFFIN,

YOU remain strangely silent during this feast of reason.

Judo stuns with elegant eloquence about what poetry IS, dog delights in a range of playfully germane observations, tigerjen's picture makes it hard to concentrate on her wise words, but wise they are. People say great things

Of course THE key question is where did eve get that amazing picture.

Eeerrrr - anyway - , having dipped your stick into the hornets nest & given it a twirl, why so silent?

In ancient china getting a plum job in the civil service was, astonishingly, not decided by nepotism but an equal ops exam marathon - the only exam you could not afford to fail if you were to be accepted was the writing of a satisfactory poem.

Poetry is different & litrockers should delight in difference.
I like poetry because it can do different things to prose, slowing things down till the details of experience take on different meanings and unexpected recognitions arise. As judo says it can employ different kinds of logic connecting ideas, it invites a more intense degree of stilled focus than narrative onrush of prose often gets.
And its short. (unlike this message . . . . )
So, dear muffin, when do we hear from you?

Pale interesting and in black

i know what the poet's have given me.

I first came here because a friend mentioned i could find a very supportative place to show my writing; poetry and otherwise.

i have stayed because what i found was exactly that.

the poet's forum is full of creative artists who are very supportative and friendly. they are also willing to give you help when you ask for it.
being a writer who has hidden most of her writing for years this is like mana from heaven.

i may not post often, i may flirt more than write complex and interesting arguments. but i have found something here i can find worth in that helps me to become better at something that is very much a part of who i am.

i can't say what it does for Lit but this is what it does for me.
not to sound selfish- i think that's more important.

The poetry community at Lit transforms the banality of daily existence into a celebration of life, just as it does throughout the world. Perhaps we share our work with a less appreciative audience than some of our colleagues, but, since this site is a celebration of sensuality, where better to share views on those aspects of the human condition which make life the joyful experience that it is?

I am meandering a bit here, but please believe me, my friends, when I tell you that I celebrate each of your contributions to this site and am very proud that Laurel is wise enough to include our small community here regardless of the audience size.:heart: :heart:

I know what poets do for Lit. One must wonder at times if poets know what they do for Lit.

They're largely not good for revenue, hits ratios are absolutely atrocious stories to poems. On average for every hit one of my poems gets the stories get 500. There are probably hundreds of poems in archives that haven't been read in over a year. This costs money. I don't think Lit's poetry is self-supporting.

So this begs the questions, what do poets do for Lit?

A lot. A world without poetry is like an orchestra without the strings section. I could go on, but why? A lot of people who have taken this is an opportunity for introspection have more than adequately explained what poetry does for Lit and everyone here. I hope it boosted confidence and made someone think about why we all need poetry. I already knew it, but I didn't think a lot of people in this forum did.

If you chose to be offended by my question you can go ahead and explain to me why this is my problem. I can be reasonable, but I'll probably just laugh at you. I'm short on tact, always have been, always will be. I don't have time to pander to ego.

KillerMuffin said:
I know what poets do for Lit. One must wonder at times if poets know what they do for Lit.

They're largely not good for revenue, hits ratios are absolutely atrocious stories to poems. On average for every hit one of my poems gets the stories get 500. There are probably hundreds of poems in archives that haven't been read in over a year. This costs money. I don't think Lit's poetry is self-supporting.

So this begs the questions, what do poets do for Lit?

A lot. A world without poetry is like an orchestra without the strings section. I could go on, but why? A lot of people who have taken this is an opportunity for introspection have more than adequately explained what poetry does for Lit and everyone here. I hope it boosted confidence and made someone think about why we all need poetry. I already knew it, but I didn't think a lot of people in this forum did.

Great post KM. I can't follow that, but I will offer a quote from Erica Jong that I like:

"Poetry, however, is not easy to midwife into the world. Most publishers don't want it, and most bookstores and review media ignore it. Nevertheless, at the climactic moments of our lives-death of loved one, heartbreak, new love, the birth of a baby-we turn to poetry, and nothing else will do.

'Poetry is the honey of all flowers; the quintessence of all sciences ... the marrow of wit ... the very phrase of angels,' said Thomas Nashe, Shakespeare's contemporary, in 1592. And so it still remains. Every funeral, every wedding, every honeymoon (married or not) every bris or christening is an occasion for poetry-and even in this epoch of sound bytes and MTV, people dig through tattered anthologies to find the fitting words.

Why is this? Because poetry comforts as nothing else can and because, apparently, we are still a race for whom magic is a word. The incantation both propitiates and validates the event. Since flesh can't stay, we pass the words along. "
Erica Jong

Nice Post Writer Dom

When it works, there is a trancendent quality to poetry--and it doesn't matter whether the subject is mundane, thrilling, tragic, whatever. When the words are fitting, it does have the power of incantation. I think Jong is right: we humans have a primal need for words to act on us in that way.

And on a more practical note there is a community, however small, of Literotica users who are here mainly for the poetry. If that increases the use of this site--even if the increase is proportionately small compared to other reasons people are drawn here--it can't be a bad thing.

Nice to meet you Writer Dom! I've enjoyed reading the work you have posted here.

we as poets. do we profit lit... who cares, there are enough of us, and apparently enough of an interest , that we have our own forum, and that for me , at this point, is all i care for ..

i write tons more poetry than prose..
why.. poetry conveys emotion...
prose conveys an entire adventure.

but....
poetry, in my estimation is much more erotic..

how can i convey my emotions to you ?
with a cleverly turned phrase, a homily to pleasure or pain .a small stanza or couplet can convey such depth of emotion influencing subtly your feelings,
opening you to them and making you aware
where the paragraph, that enormous beast of literature, it doesnt guide you like a poem does, it blatently orders you to read and think this.like a seargent barking orders at raw recruits...

if prose is the sermon, then poetry is the hymnal ...

theres my 2 cents... and like anything i write, i solemnly hope it makes sense...

Back