Where are the New England Peeps?

So... it looks like this New England girl will be going "home" of sorts. I'm from CT, but I might be moving to Roslindale, Mass, within the next six months (depends on my divorce, and whether or not he can get housing separate from me.) Tell me about the area, if you're a Bostonian. I grew up in West Haven, CT, but I've never been to Boston. This will be a culture shock, but I'll have my best friend nearby.

Wish me luck!

So... it looks like this New England girl will be going "home" of sorts. I'm from CT, but I might be moving to Roslindale, Mass, within the next six months (depends on my divorce, and whether or not he can get housing separate from me.) Tell me about the area, if you're a Bostonian. I grew up in West Haven, CT, but I've never been to Boston. This will be a culture shock, but I'll have my best friend nearby.

Wish me luck!

Hi there.

Roslindale... Nice area, skinny streets, parking's a bitch, apartments are typical three-deckers. Not a lot of crime. If you're on the west side, near the Arboretum, it's like you're living in Newton. But most of the neighborhood is a lot more urban. It's a good place to live, as Boston neighborhoods go. Not nearly as trendy as JP, nowhere near the crime of Dorchester or Mattapan.

TL;DR: if you're looking at the southern neighborhoods of Boston, Roslindale's probably your best bet.

PM me if you need more specific info. I used to know the area quite well.

Wish me luck!
Dubinsky gave you much more detail than I can, but I think the10,000 foot view is also useful. Boston (which includes Roslindale) is a geographically small big city, and except for the downtown isn't super tall. It all tends to be human scale and for a city quite a lot of trees and green space. Actually parking is a bitch during her period, really not fun. OTOH the public transportation is pretty good, though mostly buses in Roslindale. The thing about Boston is how incredibly walkable it is.

Boston itself has pretty much everything you would expect from a big city in terms of restaurants, shopping, and museums. the weird thing about Boston (and mostly good) is ithas the largest concentration of universities in the world. There are about a quarter of a million students.

I can't imagine living anywhere else, but I grew up here.

The good thing about New England, and the Boston area, Aspiring, is that you have a LOT of stuff nearby. Sports! big cities! ocean! mountains! each state has their own quirky vibe, which is nice, and everything is pretty quick to get to by car. Food, music... the total package is why I moved back from SC. Now, being that this an be a very old part of the country, our cities can be... quirky in how they are put together and maintained. But overall, you're coming to a great area. Welcome, and hopefully we'll see you around these parts...

Back