Why are many Literotica poems so vague?

Re: Tathagata's Five Corners: An Analysis

sack said:
Someone asked me to talk about Hynde's Berlin-Los Angeles. That would take hours! I prefer to go over what I consider to be a mini-masterpiece, Tathagata's Five Corners. My observations are in parentheses:

Five Corners

Crossroads.

Always crossroads.

That's where you go,
at midnight..

You know the story...

(The author could have single spaced these lines, as the astute Wicked Eve suggested, but that gives a different rhythm. Using blank lines in between gives a certain emphasis and heaviness to the writing. Crossroads (breath)...Always crossroads (breath). Can't you just feel the author's halting, the initial indecision? Personally, I think it was sheer brilliance to begin the poem this way!)

Ebb and pull
of culture and language,
dreams left melting on sidewalks,
rainbow sherbet puddle,
oil slick water,
bubble gum sticky,
hopscotch avoidance.

(There are some incredible lines here. "Dreams left melting on sidewalks", "Hopscotch avoidance". Notice the expert manipulation of syllables for each line.....3-6-7-5-4, which gives a natural rhythm to the entire paragraph!)

Home to daddy.

He who breathes you.

Who spreads the world out.

He has the gift, the words,

"Open sesame"

(Again, the double spaces lends emphasis here. Home to daddy...breath....He who breathes you...breath. Absolutely necessary and continues the pattern of the opening stanza.)

and Ali Baba's cave opens...
Riches undreamed of,
all yours for the taking.

(This is all one thought, thus the return to single spacing.)

He preens your wings and nudges you
from the nest.

The urge to fly greater
than the ego of comfort.

(See how masterful this is. Tathagata is tightening the screws a little at a time. Most people have felt this way at some period in their life. Change always takes a certain amount of risk and that is what the poet is tapping into here....)

Pop up wonder of candy stores
and meat markets ,smells of imported coffee,
smoked sausage and liquor,
rich tobacco ,and the scent
of lives lived,and stories told.

(a lovely imagery with the cool "pop up line" to take the description out of the ordinary.)

Snow globe reality,cocooned,
swaddled in love
and hugs.
The familiarity of pipe smoke,
and polished wood.

(here again Tath expertly evokes the comfortable feeling of the familiar. Remember how satisfying it was to know the snow in the globe would always settle to the bottom? Yes, our comfort is always "cocooned" and swaddled, this is a believable comparison.)

Life hangs in the air.

(the pause here leaves us hanging.)

Humid and real...
Each breath draws in
that miasma of perfume and sex and death.

(God that's powerful! Perfume, sex, and death go together so well, and define our five corners even more.)

Wrung out of blind alley romance,
and 4 am newsstands.
Blackened hearts
and blackened fingers.

(a fabulous structure here...the third line is a consequence of the first and the fourth line is a consequence of the second!)

Monoliths keep watch
over Mom and Pop groceria's.
Where the hand of kindness
smoothes a hair ribbon,
and slips a candy into
your princess purse.

(An interesting message. The "Big guys" (Monoliths) are keeping watch over the "Little guys" (Mom and Pop). I like the idea of a "hand of kindness" doing all those nice things. It reveals to me the heart of this poet.)

Memories pool at crossroads
slow syrup tar,cooled lava.

(I can visualize the lava and tar slowly harding as the individual wrestles with competing memories.)

Unable to make the leap to modern day.

(in other words, the actual action of change is always extremely difficult, since one needs to leap from the past.)

They wait
loyal dogs sad eyed and confused
for your return,
to 5 corners.

(This ending is both a surprise and a satisfying conclusion. Memories can always be "brought back" for further consideration. Moreover, the author suggests change is an ongoing process!)

That, to me is an absolutely expert poem, virtually beyond criticism. (which is why I NEVER public comment on Tath's poems....why should my drivel sully the pristine waters?)

Now, go back and read the original poem I brought up here and tell me there isn't a difference. Who was it that said "the difference between good and great.........." Both poems have potential, but this one really expresses its potential to the fullest. Thanks, Tath, for sharing your seemingly endless talent with us. I am overwhelmed....

Sack (weak in the knees after that poem!):)

And Now..can I tell you that much of that was not conscious?
:D

In reply to Tath...

it seems to me you are a tad too argumentative and " wont empty your cup" to taste anyone else's tea.

I will say this...using your " method" you won't find much poetry here you are going to enjoy.

namaste' and good luck

Well, I enjoyed your "five corners" ...LOL! Actually, I do enjoy more stories than poems at Lit., but I do want to mention a few poets I look forward to reading and to thank them here, since I don't have time to PC on their every effort...

Lauren Hynde, Angeline, Tristesse, Wicked Eve, Du Lac, Steve Porter, Uncle Pervey, neonurotic, Homarpindar.

Sack :)

About Five Corners: I'd like to take back my ridiculous line break comment.
About Tath: He is an argumentative ass monkey.

WickedEve said:
About Five Corners: I'd like to take back my ridiculous line break comment.
About Tath: He is an argumentative ass monkey.

but i'm your favorite ass monkey

The Tath-chimp connection...

I never "got" this and it probably goes back 11,000 posts! Is that chimp owned by Tath?

Sack:confused:

Re: The Tath-chimp connection...

sack said:
I never "got" this and it probably goes back 11,000 posts! Is that chimp owned by Tath?

Sack:confused:
Yes. And he loves to play with it.

Re: Re: Re: The Tath-chimp connection...

Tathagata said:
i sense you've lost your christmas spirit.....
No. I din't lose him. I scared him off. He was wearing my thong (not by choice) and running out the door when I last saw him.

Come back!

You folks are silly :D

From Sack:
"Hi Maria, I'm sure every theory of determining artistic worth is intrinsically flawed.....although I wouldn't go so far as Homar Pindar....that kind of thinking is just an excuse not to evaluate poetry and absolves artists of personal responsibility."

bzzzzzz, wrong, thanks for playing, please play again. :D :p

My reasoning says just the opposite to me, a social object invites and welcomes change.

The purpose of examination then becomes pointing that change in a direction best exemplifying (ok excuse me I'm at work and not near my dictionarys) the social concensus at the time. It welcomes evaluations, even demands them. If no one reacts to a social object it no longer stands as a social object - society has rejected it. But, if you react in a negative manner to a poem it remains a social object, it has illicit a response which further points society in a given direction, if only in a small way (ie, just the society of Lit poets and readers).

Hence, the concept of "right" and "wrong" in poetry remains flawed, yet "good" and "bad" remain as social pointers demonstrating how a society sees itself and its surroundings.

The poems here at Lit that are "bad" are not the ones that have illicit negative responses (even the poem you choose to start this thread for example) because you can trace where society is moving away from. "Good" poems are the direction society moves towards, we accept these and wish to see more of this "quality," "skill" or whatever it is that society has latched onto at the time.

No, the truely lacking poetry are those that garner no responses from the readers (and I mean more than the public response, the act of responding is more than a post or a vote - but it's is a way we have of noting such responses at least).

Think about it, you can remember really horrible, lousy, oh-my-gawd-that's-bad poetry - but can you remember apathy?

---
Oh, and where does the "a" come from? It's gotten into my name and I'm wondering why...:confused:

Homer"as-in-the-long-dead-poet-dude"Pindar :rolleyes: :p :p

HomerPindar said:
Think about it, you can remember really horrible, lousy, oh-my-gawd-that's-bad poetry - but can you remember apathy?
Those are the "vague" poems that I had assumed this thread was going to be about when I saw the title: the "woe is me, so much love and so much angst" type of pieces. :confused:

Lauren Hynde said:
Those are the "vague" poems that I had assumed this thread was going to be about when I saw the title: the "woe is me, so much love and so much angst" type of pieces. :confused:

aw, ya just upset cause no one can feel ya pain :p

I'm now considering writing a poem with nothing but smiley's...

HomerPindar said:

I'm now considering writing a poem with nothing but smiley's...

You can't do that. I already wrote it. It's been published and I have been proclaimed a genius.:p

The Mutt said:
Somebody spank that monkey.
:nana:

*ignoring the pervy implications of Mutt's comment*

Excellent. Now I can blame Mutt for hitting Tath.:devil:

Tathagata said:
baby it's blasphemous for me to be on Gods green earth

You're lucky then that your earth is currently white.:p

Whiter than mine, I might add...

Back