Why are many Literotica poems so vague?

WickedEve said:
Either you have no sense or it's all too vague. I'm sure I once sent you a PM that gave you directions to my house. And there was a photo attached of my naked body with arrows painted on the thighs. You never responded. :( I was too vague, wasn't I?

i think that's when I had the heart attacks

Tathagata said:
i think that's when I had the heart attacks
You know, I've always wanted to "kill" a man. Maybe wrap my legs around him and squeeze him really good and really bad until he's genuinely breathless. Or whisper in his ear something that just kills him because he knows I won't really give it to him. So, the thought of sending an image and words to a man and having him walk toward the light... wow. Yes, this is inspiring. A man killer poem is emerging from my scary places. Thank you, monkey. :)

WickedEve said:
You know, I've always wanted to "kill" a man. Maybe wrap my legs around him and squeeze him really good and really bad until he's genuinely breathless. Or whisper in his ear something that just kills him because he knows I won't really give it to him. So, the thought of sending an image and words to a man and having him walk toward the light... wow. Yes, this is inspiring. A man killer poem is emerging from my scary places. Thank you, monkey. :)

there is no doubt in my mind you could do that'
:D :kiss:

Tathagata said:
there is no doubt in my mind you could do that'
:D :kiss:
I've already started a poem:
Which is now revised and sumitted. :)

Last edited:
WickedEve said:
Not clearly expressed; inexplicit.
Not thinking or expressing oneself clearly.
Lacking definite shape, form, or character; indistinct
Not clear in meaning or application.
Indistinctly felt, perceived, understood, or recalled; hazy

Above are the definitions of vague. Isn't it possible that only the reader can apply them to any given poem? What may be vague to one reader may not be to another.
That's what I was talking about. Of all those definitions, people seem to be focusing more on the one that translates to, "I don't get it."

To me, that is not "vague" poetry, and I'm certain there aren't that many of them in Literotica.

The "vague" poetry that abounds here is the other one that people are ignoring in this thread: the one lacking definite shape, form, or character; indistinct and indistinctly felt.

That's what there has always been too much of, poems with no clear images, with no distinct personality, usually poems described by the authors as being written "from the heart" and for themselves, poems that inexorably end up all alike and all forgotten before you finish reading them. That is vague.

Lauren Hynde said:
That's what I was talking about. Of all those definitions, people seem to be focusing more on the one that translates to, "I don't get it."

To me, that is not "vague" poetry, and I'm certain there aren't that many of them in Literotica.

The "vague" poetry that abounds here is the other one that people are ignoring in this thread: the one lacking definite shape, form, or character; indistinct and indistinctly felt.

That's what there has always been too much of, poems with no clear images, with no distinct personality, usually poems described by the authors as being written "from the heart" and for themselves, poems that inexorably end up all alike and all forgotten before you finish reading them. That is vague.

amen.

Lauren Hynde said:

Mutt claims he can recite every one of his poems from memory (except maybe the longer ones). I believe him...not becuase he wrote them, but because each of his poems has what Lauren describes as a 'distinct personality'.

Some poets here said that his newest poem, Tomb Raider, was vague. I don't think so at all, but then again, I know him better than anyone and I knew why he wrote it. (And, of course, I am his biggest fan.)

I've read poems on Lit and thought to myself 'what was that all about?' But I consider those some of the best poems I've read, because they made me think, feel, and interpret on my own.
:rose:

Miss Oatlash said:
Some poets here said that his newest poem, Tomb Raider, was vague.
There is nothing "vague" about that poem. The images may be open to several interpretations, but they are real images, concrete, tangible.

Lauren Hynde said:
There is nothing "vague" about that poem. The images may be open to several interpretations, but they are real images, concrete, tangible.

:) I would agree...I was surprised when someone on another thread said they couldn't understand it.

Miss Oatlash said:
:) I would agree...I was surprised when someone on another thread said they couldn't understand it.

that sometimes has to do with the quality of the reader, not the quality of the writer.

Miss Oatlash said:
Yes, and I agree with Pat.

But the poem is filled with very concrete, clearly defined images. Whether or not a particular reader will be able to interpret those images is a different matter, but it has nothing to do with it being "vague".

Miss Oatlash said:
Mutt claims he can recite every one of his poems from memory (except maybe the longer ones). I believe him...not becuase he wrote them, but because each of his poems has what Lauren describes as a 'distinct personality'.

Some poets here said that his newest poem, Tomb Raider, was vague. I don't think so at all, but then again, I know him better than anyone and I knew why he wrote it. (And, of course, I am his biggest fan.)

I've read poems on Lit and thought to myself 'what was that all about?' But I consider those some of the best poems I've read, because they made me think, feel, and interpret on my own.
The Divine Miss O.; did they say it was vague or they couldn't understand it?
I just read it, clearly, I understand you are a lucky woman. (I assume it was about you) Where they looking for Laura Croft, either way it works. I would get the two of you confused myself.
I couldn't help but use the word "vague" in the comment.
It does look like it came out of another century, but I like that sort of thing. Thank you for posting, I would have missed it.
Has Mutt been reading Poe again?
If he starts to buy bricks, get out...

twelveoone said:
The Divine Miss O.; did they say it was vague or they couldn't understand it?
I just read it, clearly, I understand you are a lucky woman. (I assume it was about you) Where they looking for Laura Croft, either way it works. I would get the two of you confused myself.
I couldn't help but use the word "vague" in the comment.
It does look like it came out of another century, but I like that sort of thing. Thank you for posting, I would have missed it.
Has Mutt been reading Poe again?
If he starts to buy bricks, get out...

The comment was "Not real sure where this poem is pointing perhaps a lesson poem, someone can try and decifer 'The Mutt's' poetry and post it!"

Mutt and I laughed, thinking perhaps they were expecting Laura Croft!

I *am* a lucky woman as it was indeed written as a Christmas gift to me...as Mutt says, "That's what poor boys give their Mistresses."

I could not have received a more loving gift. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Miss Oatlash said:
The comment was "Not real sure where this poem is pointing perhaps a lesson poem, someone can try and decifer 'The Mutt's' poetry and post it!"

Mutt and I laughed, thinking perhaps they were expecting Laura Croft!

I *am* a lucky woman as it was indeed written as a Christmas gift to me...as Mutt says, "That's what poor boys give their Mistresses."

I could not have received a more loving gift. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

tell Mr. Mutt, I shall have to pay more attention to his writing, take a lesson or two
Was quite nice, a bit of a gothic inversion.

cute~

Miss Oatlash said:

Okay let me see if I have this correct
you {quoted)I've read poems on Lit and thought to myself 'what was that all about?' But I consider those some of the best poems I've read, because they made me think, feel, and interpret on my own.

and yet I didn't understand Mutt's
poem
just now re read it after knowing it's
for someone else and still don't see the coralation
it just doesnt grip me and lead me to visuals
of clarity, sack doesn't see the mistletoe
in my poem, and lauren doesn't see Mutt's poem as
vague~and the fantasy poem...

we all live breath eat sleep
and yet are all different in views ...
ways ...likes and dislikes. I found it interesting
a learning poem not a poem as sack would say
'Lesser' poet by any means ... like miss O said
the ones we can't figure out are the great ones.
mine mistletoe sparked sack's confussion
which inturn produced some great topics
for criticism and structuring poems in this thread
and it's rare for me to write a vague poem.
testing the waters and tail spun a reader? hehehehe
each poem moved someone differently here
they did their job. hehehe

Last edited:
Who was it that said?

"To be great is to be misunderstood!"

Sack:)

about this "lesser poet" thing.....

Yes, there are lesser poets. Just like there are lesser athletes, lesser musicians, lesser artisians, and lesser minds. If you don't like the word "lesser", here are some more to try on for size:

neophyte
beginner
amateur
dabbler
inexperienced
newcomer

Do you like any of those better, Tale?

Sack:D

see

do you see life the way someone
told you to see life and what is.
or do you see life as it is and understand
someones views on life?

or...

Do you see life according to your own standards and respect individual differences? (PS- That doesn't mean other viewpoints are beyond criticism!)

Sack;)

Re: about this "lesser poet" thing.....

sack said:
Yes, there are lesser poets. Just like there are lesser athletes, lesser musicians, lesser artisians, and lesser minds. If you don't like the word "lesser", here are some more to try on for size:

neophyte
beginner
amateur
dabbler
inexperienced
newcomer

special olympics sack
I can't say that retarded are lesser
it's not what I would like but why you
might project ahigher and lesser statis?

a valley to a mountain is lesser?

Re: about this "lesser poet" thing.....

sack said:

neophyte
beginner
amateur
dabbler
inexperienced
newcomer

in karate white is the crane,
new, fresh as new fallen snow
learns evassion for the crane is no match
for a tiger or a dragon but can learn to evade
and survive.
orange, tiger, strength, learn to use power
and cat like reflexes yet no match for the
dragon, cobra
or leopard that dances through
trees like a cat walk.
any way there is no exemplerary form of lesser,
'new' and each having it's advantage
on a journey to learn
all the ways of nature to survive from medicines
to inner peace and tranquil cerebrial planes which
is my poetry (~_*)

Last edited:
well, then....

If you reject "higher" and "lower", then all poets have exactly the same level of ability. You can't have it both ways. Sure, there are the "Special Olympics", there are also programs for the talented and gifted. No one is making a judgement on whether various levels of intellect are "better" or "worse", but just that they exist. Lesser poets exist.....that's all. Don't put value judgements in where there are none.

Sack :)

Back