Writing from your opposite sex perspective

I've written the opposite sex a few times and I like 1st person for it, for me, it's less about writing 'a guy' and more about writing a character. Don't know if that makes sense, but I like to listen to music I think they'd like and I try to put myself in their shoes, but definitely don't overthink it and don't play into stereotypes. Not all guys think about sex right away, not all guys are into sports and whatnot. I dunno, best advice is just don't overthink it. Ultimately people will love it or hate it and while your story may not be someone's cup of tea, odds are that's because it's someone else's shot of whiskey. Best of luck to you.

She woke up with a cock, not with a drawer full of male underwear! So her only problem will be to choose the underwear stretchy enough to accommodate the new body part.

In this story? To be different. From EVERYONE, males and females. Her mind didn't change, only her body did, so I don't think she will suddenly feel the urge to start peeing standing up. Especially in a bathroom. In the woods she might try it as there it seems to be more convenient, but not in a bathroom.
Interesting concept, one I have used myself. My character has already been changed from a human to a centaur. In a training class a Nightmare reads my darkest fear, changing me from centaur to a full on equine mare. The shock being far more emotions, worrying what others think, unable to hold eye contact, feel a hot mess, and fancying a stallion.

it all starts when we reject the notion that men or women have a reliably gender-based "perspective."
Yeah.

nu2Mipb.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments. I do tend to over think issues. One story I started was along Kafka's Metamorphosis idea. A beautiful girl who is a successful model is plagued by the idea that she is popular and successful only because of her physical appearance, She wishes to be different. She goes to sleep and in the morning wakes up to find she possesses an 8 inch cock. I gave up on it because I could not authentically describe (IMO) what a person experiences having a penis. Perhaps I should have persevered.
Please persevere! That has bags of potential.

What am I looking at?
It's a panel from the Sandman story "Calliope". The guy speaking, Ric Madoc, is a successful author; the irony there is that Madoc's personal life, in particular the bit where he gets his ideas, is a long way from the "feminist writer" he purports to be. It's an old story but it's been doing the rounds lately because of some unfortunate parallels between Ric Madoc and his RL author, who appears to have been writing more of a self-portrait than readers knew.

I posted it because the "male author gets plaudits for writing women as people" bit in the GRRM interview reminded me of it. But in hindsight it occurs to me that it could've been interpreted as an insinuation against GRRM, which wasn't my intention.

I’m not sure how much stock I should put into an opinion that GRRM writes women “really well and really different” when the two people who agree on it here are both men.

I’m not sure how much stock I should put into an opinion that GRRM writes women “really well and really different” when the two people who agree on it here are both men.
Well, would a third male opinion help?

What I can say is that GRRM writes characters better than the vast majority of fantasy writers and some of his characters are women.

I’ve tried but I just can’t make it happen. I don’t know how things feel for a man, or how they really think. I’ve asked but I don’t really understand the answers. I’d love to be a man for 24 hours or so, just to see what it’s like, but no, that’s not practical, so I’ll stick to what I know, and write from my own perspective.

Lucy.

I've gotten several comments on one piece of mine, a male POV masturbation scene, saying that I did a great job writing from a male point of view. There's no deep characterization or anything, it's nothing but a short jerk-off story that I wrote to indulge myself. But it still feels great to get those comments.

A very pleasant surprise and I feel much more confident in writing more like that in the future.

This is the advantage I have writing as an enby. Or the disadvantage of not getting either down pat.

I prefer to write as a girl though.

Back