Carolina Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
carverII said:
Hit us about 8:30 last night and now the mosquitos are having a friggin heyday with all the standing water. Still we need the rain.
Hit you at 8:30? Don't know exactly where you are in eastern NC.... but it didn't hit us until around 12:30am. (I'm on the coast - about midway up the coast, but not to the OBX)
My flower beds already look dry. Sheesh.
 
AboutFace said:
Hit you at 8:30? Don't know exactly where you are in eastern NC.... but it didn't hit us until around 12:30am. (I'm on the coast - about midway up the coast, but not to the OBX)
My flower beds already look dry. Sheesh.


Further inland sweetie. Think pirates. It rolled in about 8:30 and was gone at about 11-ish?

My flower beds are already dry too, but the creeks are full and there are mud puddles everywhere.
 
carverII said:
Further inland sweetie. Think pirates. It rolled in about 8:30 and was gone at about 11-ish?

My flower beds are already dry too, but the creeks are full and there are mud puddles everywhere.
Go Pirates. Odd how only about 90 miles can make such a huge difference. Cool.

We do really need the rain. Our soil here is really sandy (obviously) - and drains so quickly. We need to have at least a full week of rain to be anywhere near normal. Even the Bogue Sound watermelons weren't quite the same this year.... nor our tomatoes.
 
AboutFace said:
Go Pirates. Odd how only about 90 miles can make such a huge difference. Cool.

We do really need the rain. Our soil here is really sandy (obviously) - and drains so quickly. We need to have at least a full week of rain to be anywhere near normal. Even the Bogue Sound watermelons weren't quite the same this year.... nor our tomatoes.


Okay, so here comes the real wussy side........

I lost two of my award-winning roses to the heat and about cried. Not to mention that the azaleas are totally withered. If we could have three or four more inches of rain......I can at least save those.

Did you see where Raleigh is starting the whole communist water rationing now?
 
somberReality said:
*waves too* :)


Waves as in waving hello or are you referring to the almost flat summer we've had at the beaches?

We're hoping that at least one storm can head this way to kick up some decent swell.
 
carverII said:
Okay, so here comes the real wussy side........

I lost two of my award-winning roses to the heat and about cried. Not to mention that the azaleas are totally withered. If we could have three or four more inches of rain......I can at least save those.

Did you see where Raleigh is starting the whole communist water rationing now?
I've been handwatering my azaleas and my roses. I only lost one.... and that one had been transplanted in the early spring. It should have been OK - but the serious lack of rain was too much for it.
What sorts of roses do you have? My favorite is my About Face rose (hence my name) and then closely followed by the Brigadoon and Sangria. I couldn't let them die... so I go out every morning and evening, and lightly water them.... and then move down my azalea line. My azaleas are only about 2 years old - so they still need a lot of TLC.
 
carverII said:
Hit us about 8:30 last night and now the mosquitos are having a friggin heyday with all the standing water. Still we need the rain.


uh I'm not really sure how to respond to that AV...

stop drinking coffee?
step away from the sugar?
someone needs a muzzle?

it scares me
 
carverII said:
Waves as in waving hello or are you referring to the almost flat summer we've had at the beaches?

We're hoping that at least one storm can head this way to kick up some decent swell.


the waves were rough and large August 19th @ 64th ave N in Myrtle beach.. I was in there trying to float and relax.. they beat me.. and not in a happy way
 
AboutFace said:
I've been handwatering my azaleas and my roses. I only lost one.... and that one had been transplanted in the early spring. It should have been OK - but the serious lack of rain was too much for it.
What sorts of roses do you have? My favorite is my About Face rose (hence my name) and then closely followed by the Brigadoon and Sangria. I couldn't let them die... so I go out every morning and evening, and lightly water them.... and then move down my azalea line. My azaleas are only about 2 years old - so they still need a lot of TLC.


I have (had) two Double Delights and two George Burns now I have one of each.
 
SCblondetiger said:
uh I'm not really sure how to respond to that AV...

stop drinking coffee?
step away from the sugar?
someone needs a muzzle?

it scares me

It's my "back to school" look!
 
carverII said:
I have (had) two Double Delights and two George Burns now I have one of each.
I have 2 About Face, a Chihuly, a Sunsprite, a Peace, a Sangria, a Crimson Tide, a Brigadoon, a Chrysler Imperial rose, a nice red climber, a nice red shrub rose, a pretty little pink one (just generic), and another pretty lavender one (also nothing special) and yellow shrub rose. I really like my roses. I also love lilies, iris, daffodils, foxglove, lily of the valley, and Columbine (especially)..... amongst many others. I'm an avid gardener. My azaleas are also part of my pride. I work around them so much... loving every minute watching them grow. :kiss:
 
SCblondetiger said:
as a first year teacher.. i resemble that especially in the mornings

Congrats babe! :rose: x12

I'll be joining you in two years and I already have a lead on a position on a local high school!
 
AboutFace said:
I have 2 About Face, a Chihuly, a Sunsprite, a Peace, a Sangria, a Crimson Tide, a Brigadoon, a Chrysler Imperial rose, a nice red climber, a nice red shrub rose, a pretty little pink one (just generic), and another pretty lavender one (also nothing special) and yellow shrub rose. I really like my roses. I also love lilies, iris, daffodils, foxglove, lily of the valley, and Columbine (especially)..... amongst many others. I'm an avid gardener. My azaleas are also part of my pride. I work around them so much... loving every minute watching them grow. :kiss:

I just put in five iris beds with 20 different varieties. My favs are the Savanah Sunset and Before the Storm. I actually did some landscaping for the American Iris Society president some years ago and found iris's almost irresistable.

I themed each bed for different colors and I'm hoping to come up with a new hybrid of black and red. I talked to the lady I did all the work for and told her of my plan and what iris's I plan to use. If it works (and I'll know in three years) I should have a red inner and black outer iris and will call it Dark Heart.
 
No way to keep cool as still hot when it's dark. SCBT hope the kids don't drive you too crazy as don't think have computer access in the land of straight jackets lol. And would miss you.
 
carverII said:
I just put in five iris beds with 20 different varieties. My favs are the Savanah Sunset and Before the Storm. I actually did some landscaping for the American Iris Society president some years ago and found iris's almost irresistable.

I themed each bed for different colors and I'm hoping to come up with a new hybrid of black and red. I talked to the lady I did all the work for and told her of my plan and what iris's I plan to use. If it works (and I'll know in three years) I should have a red inner and black outer iris and will call it Dark Heart.
Sounds beautiful. I have mostly common iris in my garden. (check out my garden thread for pics of a couple of them) This year didn't seem a particularly good year for multiple blooms.... but they were still beautiful. Where do you get your bulbs? I want to plant new before we move from here. (hubby has orders - but we will rent out this house and then return in about 2 years) I want them to be nice and established when we return. What do you think of the reblooming Iris? I've been reading about them lately - and wondering about their growth & beauty.

Right now, I'm waging war on a Canna Lily that my NEIGHBOR planted in my garden! (without my permission!) I do really like them.... but it was choking out my rose bushes - and sucking the water that they needed. I will win......
 
AboutFace said:
Sounds beautiful. I have mostly common iris in my garden. (check out my garden thread for pics of a couple of them) This year didn't seem a particularly good year for multiple blooms.... but they were still beautiful. Where do you get your bulbs? I want to plant new before we move from here. (hubby has orders - but we will rent out this house and then return in about 2 years) I want them to be nice and established when we return. What do you think of the reblooming Iris? I've been reading about them lately - and wondering about their growth & beauty.

Right now, I'm waging war on a Canna Lily that my NEIGHBOR planted in my garden! (without my permission!) I do really like them.... but it was choking out my rose bushes - and sucking the water that they needed. I will win......

Once iris's are established, they will fend for themselves. You need to keep them well watered until the roots take. I have a few varieties of the reblooming, but I don't count on them so it's a nice surprise when they do. In my opinion, the flowers are a bit smaller, but more intense. That is only my opinion though and I have had people tell me that they can't see a difference. The trick is to keep the risomes slightly exposed to the sun. They dig the sunlight and work the best that way.

Yeah.....I have 4 varieties of canna and I have to thin them radically every spring. All my friends get plenty of bulbs from me every year. I dig them though because the bloom so often. I have oranges and reds in progress now and should have some yellows in another week.

Oh and my yuccas are getting ready to bloom too.

LMAO....the list goes on and on. I also have some lilies that are making a second bloom this year and my lion's tail lily bloomed for the first time this year.
 
carverII said:
Once iris's are established, they will fend for themselves. You need to keep them well watered until the roots take. I have a few varieties of the reblooming, but I don't count on them so it's a nice surprise when they do. In my opinion, the flowers are a bit smaller, but more intense. That is only my opinion though and I have had people tell me that they can't see a difference. The trick is to keep the risomes slightly exposed to the sun. They dig the sunlight and work the best that way.

Yeah.....I have 4 varieties of canna and I have to thin them radically every spring. All my friends get plenty of bulbs from me every year. I dig them though because the bloom so often. I have oranges and reds in progress now and should have some yellows in another week.

Oh and my yuccas are getting ready to bloom too.

LMAO....the list goes on and on. I also have some lilies that are making a second bloom this year and my lion's tail lily bloomed for the first time this year.
Oh - I love Cannas.... I just can't believe she planted them in MY garden.... on MY property! It isn't like I don't do anything with my yard. (check my garden pics) These were the orange - which really are my favorite - but NOTHING is allowed to assault my roses! I dug some up and transplanted them - but every time I think that I've gotten them all - another starts to grow! My yellow ones haven't done much so far this year.... but I'm seeing buds.

I do enjoy tending my irises. They are fun - and give such a pretty reward. I'm trying to do all of my gardens in perrennials so that once my gardens are established, it will be relatively simple to maintain. Hubby swears that I plan to poison him one day with my foxglove.... but I just think that the flowers are beautiful. (same with the lily of the valley... which are also "poisonous")
 
Hi, all!

Sorry to take this so off-topic, but I figure this is the best geographically located group of people to ask. :)

I've never been professionally waxed, other than my eyebrows. I've shaved and home-waxed my girlie bits bare, but that's more upkeep than I'm interested in. :D Anyone in the greater Raleigh area have a recommendation for a professional below-the-belt waxer? Any info/advice -- prices, prep, etc. -- would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ETA: You can post here or PM me.
 
Last edited:
Not from the Raleigh area.... so have no idea. If you find out anything - I may ask you since we are moving up there next year.
 
khlarrissa said:
Hi, all!

Sorry to take this so off-topic, but I figure this is the best geographically located group of people to ask. :)

I've never been professionally waxed, other than my eyebrows. I've shaved and home-waxed my girlie bits bare, but that's more upkeep than I'm interested in. :D Anyone in the greater Raleigh area have a recommendation for a professional below-the-belt waxer? Any info/advice -- prices, prep, etc. -- would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ETA: You can post here or PM me.

Don't know anyone in the Raleigh area. Have you thought of lazer hair removal? It's more expensive in the short run, but if you add up all that you'd spend on waxing, it evens out over a couple of years. Not near as painful either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top