GeeBee Tech Support thread - pose questions, get answers

I have an older wireless router. I have never had any problems with it. All of my stuff connects to it just fine. No issues. Just wondering, would I notice an improvement in speed/performance if I bought a new unit?

Also, not sure if you know anything about video games, but my Playstation 3 consistently has a problem connecting to the internet. At first it was fine, but the connection speed was incredibly slow. No, more often than not, it just doesn't connect at all. As I mentioned, everything else connect just fine. You think that's a PS3 problem or a router problem?
 
Are you connecting the ps3 wirelessly?

Yes. Well, I'm connecting the PS3 to my wireless internet. Or trying at least. Most of the time it doesn't work. And when it does the connection speed if awful. So bad that I can't even do a routine system update. I actually have to download the updates onto my laptop, drag them onto a memory stick and upload them onto the PS3 that way.
 
:D

oh, my screen's only about 18" so it's still bigger.
20" will be fine, then (21.5" would be even better)

i was thinking the 2T was better since there's artwork, writing, computer-programme writing, music and skype and stuff by the sons, as well as FB, and then there's my writing, and i'll be able to watch things i've missed up here instead of downstairs.
You will likely never find the end of a 1TB drive. It's just that if 2TB is available for less money, why not?

but, do you think i'm better off going for a base unit on its own? i am tempted by the all in one for its neatness *confused*
They are neater. But the drawback is they're usually slower. For comparison:

Packard Bell OneTwoS, 1.4GHz, 8GB ram, 2TB hd
£479

HP Pavilion 20-b170ea All-in-One, 1.48GHz, 8GB ram, 2TB hd
£499

I don't think Packard Bell makes desktops anymore, but:

HP 110-052ea Desktop PC, 2.9GHz, 8GB ram, 2TB hd
+ HP W2072a 50.8cm (20") LED Backlit LCD Monitor
£429 + £86 = £515

Dell Inspiron 660 w/ 21.5" monitor, 3.4GHz, 8GB ram, 1TB hd
£579

If it were me, I'd kick in a bit more cash and get a desktop.

and a big thankyou for taking the time and trouble to go looking into it for me :rose:
No problem!
 
Macs are good, no question.

But you also have to be okay with bending over and getting ass-fucked without lube when you see the price of one.

They use lube sometimes. Just not if you want AppleCare.

Whoa. My spellcheck didn't flag "AppleCare." Jiggery pokery gets a nice red underline but "AppleCare" merits a place a place in its dictionary of acceptable words?

Okay. They're fascists.
 
Yes. Well, I'm connecting the PS3 to my wireless internet. Or trying at least. Most of the time it doesn't work. And when it does the connection speed if awful. So bad that I can't even do a routine system update. I actually have to download the updates onto my laptop, drag them onto a memory stick and upload them onto the PS3 that way.

The easiest way to see if it is the console is to plug it in with an Ethernet cable. If it connects with no issues, then the wireless nic on the console is bad.
 
I have an older wireless router. I have never had any problems with it. All of my stuff connects to it just fine. No issues. Just wondering, would I notice an improvement in speed/performance if I bought a new unit?

Improvement across the LAN or the WAN? To the former, likely yes. To the latter, no, given that your ISP controls your broadband speed and nothing short of upgrading your service is going to change that.

You might want to tweak your QoS rules so that...say Internet gaming, for example....gets preference over torrents. By setting thresholds, you can keep constant or gain a slight improvement in speeds while you're playing MMORPGs.

As for your PS3, I can't hazard a guess.
 
The easiest way to see if it is the console is to plug it in with an Ethernet cable. If it connects with no issues, then the wireless nic on the console is bad.

An ethernet connection is optimal for gaming. Wireless is less so.

And, Cat6 is cheap. Just buy enough to reach the console and you'll never look back again.
 
The easiest way to see if it is the console is to plug it in with an Ethernet cable. If it connects with no issues, then the wireless nic on the console is bad.

An ethernet connection is optimal for gaming. Wireless is less so.

And, Cat6 is cheap. Just buy enough to reach the console and you'll never look back again.

People game wirelessly? That would get you kicked out of my WoW guild.
 
I have an older wireless router. I have never had any problems with it. All of my stuff connects to it just fine. No issues. Just wondering, would I notice an improvement in speed/performance if I bought a new unit?
If by "older" you mean 802.11a or 802.11b, then yes. The 802.11g standard has longer range than 802.11a, and is faster than 802.11b. Otherwise, no. A newer 802.11g unit will have the same 54Mbps maximum speed as an old one. But the only way to guarantee 54Mbps is to have the device close to the router. The actual speed you'll get depends on signal strength and radio interference. It could be as low as 36, 24, 12, 6Mbps, or lose the connection altogether, and it can change dynamically.

From a wired standpoint, if the router is 100Base-T (100Mbps), and you have Gigabit computers connected to it, they would obviously communicate with each other an order of magnitude faster if you replaced it with a Gigabit router.

A DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem can have bandwidths of 42Mbps downstream, and 30Mbps upstream, 70Mbps total. (The effective maximum will depend on what you're paying your cable company.) So a wireless connection may be a bottleneck.

A DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem can run 171Mbps down and 122Mbps up (4 channel bonding), or 343Mbps down (8 channel bonding).

From the above, you ought to be able to determine what, if anything, might be clogging the works. In any case, though, if you're interested at all in performance and reliability, connect your systems with wires.

Also, not sure if you know anything about video games, but my Playstation 3 consistently has a problem connecting to the internet. At first it was fine, but the connection speed was incredibly slow. No, more often than not, it just doesn't connect at all. As I mentioned, everything else connect just fine. You think that's a PS3 problem or a router problem?
Same problem: Wireless. All I know about video games is that they bore me and that they suck bandwidth and require consistent speeds, neither of which wireless is good at. Connect it with a cable.
 
The easiest way to see if it is the console is to plug it in with an Ethernet cable. If it connects with no issues, then the wireless nic on the console is bad.
That's like saying a Toyota Corolla is defective because it doesn't perform like a Corvette.

It wasn't designed to.
 
I have to turn off my iPhone 5 to charge it with my several "unauthenticated" lightening cables. iOS 7 will only recognize cables with an Apple chip embedded in the end.

Apple has $40 billion in the bank, and they want an another $25 from me to buy their charging cable.
 
Back
Top