🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 13: A song from a solo female artist

Aurora looks like she's having so much fun when she's performing... I'm so happy that I discovered her music, because that happiness is infectious. Other emotions too, which I don't even have names for.

There's a bridge in this song which is in a language she invented herself, because she felt that neither Norwegian nor English had the capability to express what she was feeling.

Such a poignant title.
So much love.

Aurora - A different kind of Human

Last edited:
I always liked Kitty Wells and this song is my personal favorite. I like old school country. Reminds me of being a kid.

For years I hated it. But in the last 10-15 years it’s come back to me. Very soulful.

Kitty Wells was one of the first female country superstars and paved the way for a lot of others.

Kitty Wells - t Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

Day 14- A song from a solo female artist
I chose one of the less known performances of Carrie Underwood because I think it's actually one of her best. And it also features the great guitar playing and harmonizing vocals of Vince Gill.

Day 7: A song that deserves more credit

Yep. Sorry but I'm gonna try to play catch up. I'm a creature of habit, so I have to listen to all the songs posted before posting mine.

This prompt gave me some trouble in deciding which direction to go in. Ultimately I landed on an iconic band and what I believe is their best song that wasn't even considered a top 3 song off the album it was released on. The song isn't overly complex but the way the song builds and fades, the lyrics, the piano --- imo, this should be the first song that comes to mind when discussing The Eagles.

The Eagles - The Last Resort

Day 8: A song you’d put on to clean

Day 8 presented a different issue putting something I love (music) together with something I hate (cleaning). I would never make a cleaning Playlist, but if I did, it would need a good beat, need to be up tempo and be songs that would distract me. This song seemed most appropriate for how I feel about cleaning.

Talking Heads - Burning Down the House

Day 13: Song from a Solo Female Artist

As my own complication, I have been using artists who had previous hits in a band before going solo, which still leaves me in a flood of great artists to choose from. Aimee Mann was the lead singer and bassist for Til Tuesday, an 80s band with a major hit which is still played today, along with four outstanding albums that were mostly abandoned by the record label for not sounding like the hit. She had little success with labels as a solo artist, as I documented earlier in the thread. But since going independent, she has been producing creative, imaginative, intelligent music for forty years, her way.

Aimee's work tends to be complex, literate, and sardonic. Her lyrics reveal rather than explain, and she tackles dark subject matter without an ounce of self-pitty. Her songs come across more as short stories, with a narrator trying to hide their feelings and pain behind sarcasm and humor. (I have no idea why I relate to her music.) This song is among her most upbeat. And as a Gen-Xer who lives in the ellipses, this could be my anthem.

"I should've known (dot dot dot)
It was coming down to this
I should've known (dot dot dot)
You would betray me but without the kiss"

"I Should've Known," Aimee Mann.

Day 13 - Song by a female solo artist
Just let me plant this ear worm inside your mind.

I remember when that came out. I have Solitude Standing, which has the acapella version to open and an orchestral instrumental version to close it. And someone asked me five years later if I had heard "Tom's Diner?" Well, yeah, and like a lot of her stuff it was weird and experimental, why? Then I heard the remix. Ah....

How about songs about dances. Like this one.
The Stroll by theDiamonds

Or,
The Continental Walk by Hank Ballard (The man who wrote and sang The Twist way before Checker.)
There is a daily prompt that you can find on post #1. Also there, a link to where you can make a suggestion for future prompts, and that is a good one. Finally, the only true rule is one song per day.

Back