🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 11: A song that is angsty

Angsty music isn't usually something I seek out. I try not to dwell, better for me to just put on something fun. So I find myself going with a silly sort of angst from the only vaguely emo album I really liked. Maybe it had something to do with teenage me really digging Brendan's vibe in this video. Certainly not the weirdest crush I've ever had.

I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic! At The Disco

Day 11: A song that is angsty

Yes, pop punk bands. Yes, Nu Metal. Yes, The Smiths. Yes, yes, yes.

Let me present Pat the Bunny.

"If you want salvation
Then you ought to go see a priest
'Cause forgiveness from those that we hurt in this world
Never was guaranteed"

"Never Coming Home Again," Pat the Bunny

Day 12: A song from a male solo artist

Perhaps best known as one half of the White Stripes, Jack White is prolific as both a group and solo artist. Love him or hate him, you have to acknowledge the guy’s creative genius and drive. His solo work is even more diverse and, arguably, better than some of his collaborative stuff. Here’s one of my faves - a little bit redolent of the White Stripes sound, eclectic and 110% Jack.

Lazaretto - Jack White

Day 12: A song from a solo male artist
One of the most intimate live experiences I've had was seeing Scott Helman open for Walk off the Earth many moons ago. He didn't even have time to play a single song before the power cut out, and the whole place went dark. After a little while fidgeting around backstage with whatever it is stagehands do, they couldn't get it back, so what happened? Did they cancel the show?

No, the crowd grabbed whatever light sources they had, phones, lighters, and we all sat down on the floor as Scott walked into the middle of the arena floor with his acoustic guitar. We were all dead silent as he played for us for... maybe 45 minutes. It was beautiful.

Scott Helman - Bungalow

Day 12: A song from a male solo artist.

I have never figured out why he wasn't a bigger star. The lead for The Replacements, he had two of the best songs on one of the best movie soundtracks ever, Singles. This one feels like it was written for me -- I am lousy at flirting, and worse at knowing when I a being flirted with. Really lousy, heh.

"Dyslexic Heart," Paul Westerberg

Back