13 Days of Scary Movies 2024! 🎃👻🕸🕷🔪🩸👽💀🤖⛪️🪓😱🦇

That was the movie that killed M Night Shyamalan for me. I gave him one more chance with the Village and haven’t gone back since.
💯. The Village woulda been so much better if it had just been about what it was about.

That being said, I did watch the elevator one recently and it was a solid little movie . Not great but good.

Day 5: A scary movie starring an Oscar winner

I wanted to find a movie we hadn't talked about yet, so I went a bit back. In 1963, Roger Corman produced one of the eight films he based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. This one was on Poe's most famous work, the narrative poem "The Raven." Expanded by horror writer Richard Matheson, it starred Vincent Price as a wizard who, working late one night, is visited by a raven. But this one wasn't just saying "nevermore" -- it was voiced by Peter Lore, who was another wizard, who had been turned into a raven by Boris Karloff, a third wizard. Three masters of horror in one film. Which was the Academy Award winner? That would be 26-year-old Jack Nicholson, playing Lorre's character's son.

It is a silly little film, and Poe was probably spinning in his grave, but watching the three together was worth it. Lorre ad libbed most of his best lines, to Price's delight and Karloff's confusion, and it is worth watching for him alone.

The Raven 1963, (Academy Award Winner Jack Nicholson)

the-raven-peter-lorre-boris-karloff-vincent-price-1963-E5N0TF.jpg

Day 6: A scary movie that is a remake.

Also, a counterargument to "you can't remake a classic." 1978's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a brilliant remake of the 1956 film of the same title. It takes the original's plot, of an alien invasion that takes the form of plants that create exact, emotionless doubles of human victims, adds in the gritty 1970s aesthetic, a remarkable cast (Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, Leonard Nimoy (which was weird for me, as I was about 10 and he was always Mr. Spock to me) and Veronica Cartwright), then ramps up the paranoia and horror to 11. It is creepy as hell, and the ending is utterly perfect. Really worth hunting down.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Day 6: A scary movie that is a remake.
Does a 3rd adaptation of a book count as a remake? I Am Legend (2007) starring Will Smith was based on the Richard Matheson novel by the same name, as were The Last Man on Earth (1964) starring Vincent Price and The Omega Man (1971) starring Charlton Heston. I love them all, TBH, but my answer for “remake” is I Am Legend (2007).

Back