2009 Survivor Literotica Poetry Challenge: Planning & Plotting

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't actually speak like that though do they i.e for Sunday I say Sundy.
Actually, I do say "Sunday", at least usually.

I think. :)

But whether one pronounces it "Sunday" or "Sundy" affects how you would rhyme the poem, not the metrics or stress of the poem. That would be affected if you pronounced the word like Sunday or Sundy, which I suppose you might, but I suspect you don't.

The problem is that the stress patterns are difficult to hear and this is obviously frustrating people. For example, one of the requirements for the double dactyl form is that a line in the second stanza must contain a single, double dactylic word.

The single word part is clear enough, I should think. And given that a dactyl is a three-syllable metrical foot, it shouldn't be too hard to expect that one would also recognize that the word would have to be exactly six syllables in length. (Though there might be some argument based on pronunciation as to how many syllables a particular word has.)

The big problem is the stress pattern, which as Liar pointed out, is waltz-like for a dactyl: one two three. This is difficult for people to hear and could be affected by accent or dialect. The word au·to·bi·o·gra·phy is, for me, double dactylic; the word per·pen·dic·u·lar·ly, though it has six syllables, is not in my pronunciation, double dactylic.

My point about all of this is not to be rigid about meter, which for most forms is fairly adaptable (go back to the Shakespeare sonnet posted by Angie, for example), but to (1) Try to get people over their fear of metrical requirements (though I seem just to be making that worse) and (2) Get us to come to some kind of agreement about things to avoid the infighting that the other Survivor contest always has, where contestants are continually complaining (or whining) about how they are being treated (always badly by contest moderators out to get them) or how others are being treated (always being shown preferential treatment so that the complainer is again getting shafted).

As Liar points out, we haven't even touched on the issues about what constitutes acceptable rhymes, which will likely have the same kinds of complaints. The reason I wanted to avoid the Japanese forms was that for them, conformance to form is even more subjective than metrical or rhyme requirements.

And then, there's the whole "what's a poem?" question about free verse. Even if there is a requirement for a certain number of lines (which I think puts an unnecessary restriction on the poem), someone could write (for a ten line minimum):
Some
roses
are
orange
or
are
those
really
just
poppies?​
Regardless of what rules we adopt, whether strict or lax, there are liable to be complaints, hurt feelings, etc. I just think we should try to come to some kind of resolution about this as best we can before the contest starts.

I like form myself. I tend to think analytically rather than emotionally, so writing to a form presents me with a technical problem that I try and solve. I know this is unappealing to many, probably most, people attracted to poetry.

Anyway, that's my daily blather on the topic. The group needs to decide on rules that will make the game as enjoyable as possible for the largest number of people.

That's all.

I confess that forms sometimes put me off a bit. I enjoy them, but have a healthy respect for the difficulty of writing a good poem in form. I wouldn't try survivor if it weren't for the hope that some of the work put in will be salvageable as good poems.

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to simply say 30% of all of the poems you write must be in form and you must use three different forms from this list: (and pose here some kind of list of challenging forms). Would that work?

I appreciate the definitions and examples posted by Tzara. I'm sure I will refer to these often.

Yes Dora so will I and I think they should have a sticky put on them too
BTW Try spouting poetry to The Valetta or St Bernards Waltz especially after partaking of the Elderflower wine ..... yes folks I am a trifle tipsy

Here is the revised list of forms for Survivor. This may be the last time I can post anything to the forum before the 30th of December, so I will really need for you guys to keep this going. Don't be afraid of changing things and making decisions while I'm gone. ;)

01. Cinquain (Crapsey's)
02. Clerihew
03. Curtal Sonnet
04. Double Dactyl
05. Ghazal
06. Glosa
07. Haiku, Senryu or Zappai
08. Limerick
09. Onegin Stanza
10. Pantoum
11. Rondeau
12. Roundelay
13. Sestina
14. Sonnet (English or Spenserian)
15. Sonnet (Italian)
16. Tanka
17. Tritina
18. Triolet
19. Villanelle
20. Ballad (5 stanzas or more)
21. Blank Verse (20 lines or more)
22. Couplet (20 lines or more)
23. Ottava Rima (3 stanzas or more)
24. Rubaiyat Quatrain (5 stanzas or more)
25. Terza Rima (4 stanzas or more + finale)
One thing that distances a lot of people from this whole challenge, is the fact that this list seems really, really daunting. I agree with Under_Sun that 3 sonnet forms seems excessive. The other bits I'm having a hard time getting around is the welcoming of short form poems (cinquain and limerick and haiku for instance) and yet the minimum line requirements stuck onto ballads and couplets seem longish.

Maybe if we whittle this list down a bit then the PS challenge won't seem so unachievable.

I'm back. Sorry.

I was going to swear this thread off and just wait for whatever Lauren ended up doing, but dammit, I'm verbal and opinionated. My blessing, my curse.
One thing that distances a lot of people from this whole challenge, is the fact that this list seems really, really daunting. I agree with Under_Sun that 3 sonnet forms seems excessive.
Technical note: There are two sonnet categories: Italian/Petrarchan and English/Shakespearean/Spenserian. The Curtal Sonnet is not a sonnet, despite whatever Father Hopkins might have thought.

Given the importance to English language poetry of the sonnet form, I think writing two sonnets in slightly differing styles per round seems fair.

Y'all feel free to disagree.
The other bits I'm having a hard time getting around is the welcoming of short form poems (cinquain and limerick and haiku for instance) and yet the minimum line requirements stuck onto ballads and couplets seem longish.
I have a bit of concern here as well, but these are stanza forms, which are by definition normally part of longer poems.

Short forms are appropriate, I think, because, well, some forms are short. :)
Maybe if we whittle this list down a bit then the PS challenge won't seem so unachievable.
We seem to have had several people complain about the forms. I, personally, like them. Why I would participate, in fact. All free verse would be boring.

But I am not you. Lauren suggested we work this out. Anyone want to offer a specific recommendation for altering the proposed/tentative rules?

Specific.

I, personally, like them as they are. So speak up, people. I know you have opinions. Voice them. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm just sitting here waiting to be told what to do knowing full well I will cock it up somewhere along the line sooner rather than later but having been dragged in by the scruff of my neck by Champ I daren't back out the door!

I think the list is fine as is, what I don't yet understand is - will we be expected to tackle them all or can we select? That way the participants - naming no names - who feel less than confident could pick the forms they feel manageable.
So, as I see it, the poets would do one form and one free-form for each trigger.
RSPV.
:)

Ok the screen on my laptop is broken so i am doing this on my cell.

I think that 2 sonnet forms is fine but this is exactly what will create argument. Content and meter drive the differences instead of the definitions springing out of line count and a rhyme scheme. I will try to make more sense when i can use my desktop to reply.

I think the list is fine as is, what I don't yet understand is - will we be expected to tackle them all or can we select? That way the participants - naming no names - who feel less than confident could pick the forms they feel manageable.
So, as I see it, the poets would do one form and one free-form for each trigger.
RSPV.
:)
I think Lauren's intent was to have each round feature 25 free verse poems and 25 form poems (one each of the 25 defined forms) matched uniquely to the 50 triggers. (That is, you could only use a trigger once per round and to complete a round you would have to use all 50 triggers, all 25 forms, and 25 free verse poems, all in unique combinations. My interpretation, though.)

RSPV? :rolleyes:

I think that 2 sonnet forms is fine but this is exactly what will create argument. Content and meter drive the differences instead of the definitions springing out of line count and a rhyme scheme. I will try to make more sense when i can use my desktop to reply.
I think we need, as a group of participants, to be flexible about the form requirements. No complaining, for example, that some poem ain't iambic pentameter, so long as the poet has "made an effort" to comply. Ditto with rhyme.

What's rhyme? What's meter?

You write a three-syllable line? No way is that iambic pentameter. You write a, say, eight to twelve syllable line? Prolly close enough.

What I think we really need to agree on is flexibility. Tolerance. Not getting nasty with each other over what is probably a $25 Amazon gift certificate.

Some poem is way out of form, call it. Otherwise, let it slide.

The point is to write poems and try different things. I think, anyway.

Forms are a form of restraint.

(Just seeing whether Homburg might bite on that.)

The point is to write poems and try different things. I think, anyway.

I thought that too. So, I thought free verse would just be another category, not given more weight than the others.

I do like the list, other than not just including free verse as a form category. If we are given a list of prompts (is that what's happening?), then we would need to use certain prompts for the forms that have topic restrictions. (Just thinking aloud.)

For those of us who write both, are there any rules prohibiting the participation in both the poetry and short story survivor contests?

At this point, I think both threads discussing next year's Survivor contests have become overwhelming.

I think Lauren's intent was to have each round feature 25 free verse poems and 25 form poems (one each of the 25 defined forms) matched uniquely to the 50 triggers.
RSPV? :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the 50 triggers. Fifty! Someone will have to be very imaginative.

Do not tempt me, unless you're serious, m'dear.

Just a comment. :cool:

*bares my neck*

fangs for all your work so far :).

I would like to mention that there would have been no chance of me attempting this without TZ's thread on forms

Assign a different single malt to each form from which to sample. That would make some of us happy. :D

There is easy and there is hard for each of us. I hate to write hiaku and detest limericks. I'll write what I can write and what I have time for. Not very often that one completes Survivor writing for all of the section types.

Assign a different single malt to each form from which to sample. That would make some of us happy. :D

There is easy and there is hard for each of us. I hate to write hiaku and detest limericks. I'll write what I can write and what I have time for. Not very often that one completes Survivor writing for all of the section types.

I endorse this message. :)

Is this starting Thursday and what the hell am I supposed to be doing?
Nothing is starting unless Lauren is back and codifies the rules.

So chill.

Which shouldn't be hard, given that skimpy thing your avatar is wearing. :)

I'm back and I will now try to codify the rules! If I don't have them ready for the thing to begin tomorrow, it will start by the weekend. If we don't get 365 days, we'll make do with 363 or 362. ;)

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and is getting ready for an even better New Year's Eve.

Canada is freakin' COLD!

I'm back and I will now try to codify the rules! If I don't have them ready for the thing to begin tomorrow, it will start by the weekend. If we don't get 365 days, we'll make do with 363 or 362. ;)

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and is getting ready for an even better New Year's Eve.

Canada is freakin' COLD!

-25 C here today. You?

You win, L-guy, but it's pretty effen cold in Maine tonight (-30 F with the wind chill factored in (wind is gusting up to 50 mph), and I think I'm a bit south of where Lauren is. Hey Lauren baby, you and da missus wanna come here and warm up? :p

Happy New Year, folks. :kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back