a companion to 30 in 30

Eluard said:

Very nice, this one — a very suitable 23. Only seven more to go!

thank you :rose:

i'm loving everyone's poetry in the 30/30. it's such a pleasure to come to the thread and read poetry of poets i enjoy.

thank you for sharing your poems like this.

:rose:

wildsweetone: today's entry was just lovely.

And Sara: screw you, twice, for your ability to write such phenomenal first drafts.

bijou

unpredictablebijou said:
wildsweetone: today's entry was just lovely.

And Sara: screw you, twice, for your ability to write such phenomenal first drafts.

bijou

I agree 'bout WSO. She paints a very clear picture in all her poems. I think my favourite might be the one about the winter night without power. It made me want to be invited over.

I'm with Tzara on El's offering yesterday.

Bijou,

Um, thanks, I think. Better make it three times so I learn whatever lesson I am supposed to.

Your poem today was a 'word rusher'. That's what I call poems that do not falter once in any way. They take me by the hand and yank me through them so fast that I have to read them a few times before I feel like I appreciated all that was there. There was a lot there and for me it never hit a false note. Of course the subject matter was intense but that in itself would not have made it a good poem. The poet made it a good poem.

I know it means very little but I cant read your words today without saying that I am very sorry for your loss. :rose:

Last edited:
Sara Crewe said:
I agree 'bout WSO. She paints a very clear picture in all her poems. I think my favourite might be the one about the winter night without power. It made me want to be invited over.

I'm with Tzara on El's offering yesterday.

Bijou,

Um, thanks, I think. Better make it three times so I learn whatever lesson I am supposed to.

Your poem today was a 'word rusher'. That's what I call poems that do not falter once in any way. They take me by the hand and yank me through them so fast that I have to read them a few times before I feel like I appreciated all that was there. There was a lot there and for me it never hit a false note. Of course the subject matter was intense but that in itself would not have made it a good poem. The poet made it a good poem.

I know it means very little but I cant read your words today without saying that I am very sorry for your loss. :rose:

In fact, it means a great deal, and thank you. Thanks also for the thoughts on that piece. It's very hard for me to judge the worth of stuff in that vein. I'm very glad it worked.

I can't even talk to Eluard most of the time cuz he's way too smart. I'm just smart enough to get a yummy feeling when I read many of his pieces.

bijou

unpredictablebijou said:
In fact, it means a great deal, and thank you. Thanks also for the thoughts on that piece. It's very hard for me to judge the worth of stuff in that vein. I'm very glad it worked.

I can't even talk to Eluard most of the time cuz he's way too smart. I'm just smart enough to get a yummy feeling when I read many of his pieces.

bijou

bijou

It seems almost insensitive to comment on the poetic qualities of a poem like nympho — but it is certainly a good, and very powerful poem. I only wish it wasn't necessary to write it.

My best to you.

El.

Eluard said:
bijou

It seems almost insensitive to comment on the poetic qualities of a poem like nympho — but it is certainly a good, and very powerful poem. I only wish it wasn't necessary to write it.

My best to you.

El.

the sentiment is deeply appreciated, I assure you. Part of the reason I value this group is that I know it's very difficult to evaluate pieces like that purely as poetry, and even though it's a very emotional subject, I haven't ceased to want to be a good writer, perhaps especially when it comes to this particular topic. I consider it important, in its way. Your feedback, and all feedback, is deeply valuable, especially here where my own ability to judge may be skewed. Thank you again,

bijou

Hey Tzara,

I study Tarot so Handle of the Divine interested me, but there are things about the piece that I know are escaping me. Will you talk about it a bit?

bijou

unpredictablebijou said:
Hey Tzara,

I study Tarot so Handle of the Divine interested me, but there are things about the piece that I know are escaping me. Will you talk about it a bit?

bijou
Of course, but there is nothing clever there. I was either just noodling or engaging in automatic writing. Take your pick. ;)

Tzara said:
Of course, but there is nothing clever there. I was either just noodling or engaging in automatic writing. Take your pick. ;)

I suspect the latter. I may know some stuff about that symbology that you're not aware of. It's worth working on.

The salt, for example - there's a massive amount of lore on what it does to sprinkle salt around you - including lower your energy and potentially make you sleepy. Ten cards in a conventional reading. Tower inverted and World crossed are pretty significant too.

What it reminds me of is the tarot reading in The Waste Land. Wrote a paper about that in college, 4000 years ago.

Makes me wanna get my decks out and play strip 21 with them.

bijou

unpredictablebijou said:
I suspect the latter. I may know some stuff about that symbology that you're not aware of. It's worth working on.
I am positive you know stuff about the symbology I know nothing about.
unpredictablebijou said:
The salt, for example - there's a massive amount of lore on what it does to sprinkle salt around you - including lower your energy and potentially make you sleepy. Ten cards in a conventional reading. Tower inverted and World crossed are pretty significant too.
I know there are several cards in a standard reading. I am conflating tarot and blackjack, kinda. :rolleyes:
unpredictablebijou said:
What it reminds me of is the tarot reading in The Waste Land. Wrote a paper about that in college, 4000 years ago.

Makes me wanna get my decks out and play strip 21 with them.

bijou
Ante up. ;)

Picodiribibi said:
I thought you were playing Texas Hold 'em. :(
That "flop" thing is kinda deflating.

Actually, it may have been Caribbean Stud. That's more my game. :cool:

Tzara said:
Double down? :)

Indeed. I'm quite flexible.

Hey quit bein' a bad influence. YOU won't get in trouble for going off topic since you're cool and all, but I'm a newbie and consequently must try very hard to behave myself. and frequently fail miserably. Quick, say something poetic.

bijou

Actually, for anyone around at the moment, I'm about to try submitting some poetry with audio and could use some coaching as to how to do that. Not finding an obvious way within the submission form to put the audio file in. And are MP3's okay?

sure wish I were a smarter geek.

bijou

Never mind about the audio assistance; I think I found the right resources. The "help" function on my user page is disabled for some reason. Ironic, since I'd be using it a great deal. But I went out to the main page and found the FAQ board that way.

Gonna try it this afternoon.

bijou

Last edited:
unpredictablebijou said:
Quick, say something poetic.
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
You are so lovely, I'm distemperèd.
In yonder wheatfield, your body would I lay,
with your sweet poesy uncoverèd.

Tzara said:
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
You are so lovely, I'm distemperèd.
In yonder wheatfield, your body would I lay,
with your sweet poesy uncoverèd.

We can always count on you... at least to 21, if you're naked. Blackjack!

By the way, I've changed the game. Go fish.

And to get thoroughly back on topic, Eluard, Adagios for Children is fucking phenomenal. Gorgeous.

I've submitted three new pieces with audio today. Golly, that was complicated. I hope I did it right. Cross yer fingers, or whatever appendages happen to be lying around at the moment.

bijou

unpredictablebijou said:
The Song of Wandering Aengus
William Butler Yeats

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

You wriggle through time 'til my time's done?
I finally will catch you, fishy one. :)

Note to the copyright police. This was published in 1899 and is in the PD in the USA. Just sayin'.

Tzara said:
The Song of Wandering Aengus
William Butler Yeats

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

You wriggle through time 'til my time's done?
I finally will catch you, fishy one. :)

Note to the copyright police. This was published in 1899 and is in the PD in the USA. Just sayin'.

oh fine. like I didn't have enough of a crush on you already. My favorite Yeats, for gods' sake.

I call, and raise you this, speaking of erotica:

"Discovery"
The petals of the vagina unfold
like Christopher Columbus
taking off his shoes.

Is there anything more beautiful
than the bow of a ship
touching a new world?

-Richard Brautigan

To stay on topic, or rather to return momentarily, I'll say this: vampiredust, Tiger was a fine piece. It took me by surprise at the end, and the last two lines are really strong.

Last edited:
Nice. Everyone decides to be brilliant when I am running out of time and may have to resort to roses are red. Okay. Fine be that way.

I never really thought about it before but...aren't violets violet and not really blue at all?

Okay. Tick tock.

I gotto go.

Sara Crewe said:
Nice. Everyone decides to be brilliant when I am running out of time and may have to resort to roses are red.
Hey! Roses are red.
Some poets do rue.
They are franticèd.
I love you, Ms. Crewe. :heart:

Hey. Just wing it, baby. I've done that more than once. It's kind of fun.

Do not be afraid to write bad poems! Yours won't be bad anyway.

Yeah, well. You're on the clock, as you said. :)

Back