An Affair closed for Verbatim1977

36b7

Very Experienced
I watched a TV documentary the other night, The Factory, about a plant where they manufacture mayonnaise, hundreds of glass jars rattling their way along a conveyor belt then pausing briefly while they were filled with white gloop and now, this morning, here I am standing in a queue in Starbucks waiting to be filled with white gloop or, as they call it here, decaf latte.

"Decaf latte."
The barista's shout wakes me from my mind's aimless meandering and I reach for my coffee only to be confronted by another hand reaching for the same cup.

"I think that's mine."
The voice belongs to a man and for a moment I think we're going to argue until the barista shouts again.

"Decaf latte." and we realise we've both ordered the same.

I apologise, not sure why, and point in the direction of a newly vacated table.
"I'll grab the table and you bring the coffees. Sorry for the mix up."

As I nod, a flicker of surprise crosses her face. I pick up both cups and follow her to the table, taking a moment to observe her. She is in her early forties, her eyes carrying a faint weariness that I recognize all too well, the same look I see in my own reflection every morning. We sit in silence for a moment, the clinking of cups and the murmur of conversation around us filling the void. I take a sip of my latte, the familiar taste grounding me. I decided to clear my throat, breaking the silence.

"I'm Sam, by the way," I said, offering a confident smile.

"Funny way to meet someone, over mixed-up coffee orders."

"Eve," she replies, returning the smile, "Yeah, I guess it is," she chuckles. "So, what brings you here this morning?"

I shrug, glancing around the bustling café. "Just needed a break, I suppose. And you?"

she hesitates, then sighs. "Trying to clear my head. Been dealing with some stuff at work. You know how it is."

We lapse into silence again, but this time it's more comfortable. There's a strange sense of camaraderie in our shared discontent. I glance at my watch, realizing I've been here longer than I intended.

"I'm Sam, by the way."
"Hi Sam, I'm Eve." I return.

Sam seems pleasant enough, not at all pushy and I guess he's just like me, trying to grab a slice of sanity along with a coffee between home and work.
"So, what brings you here this morning?" I ask, just conversation and trying to fill what could be an awkward silence between us.
As a natural extravert I hate silences, they're like spaces that need to be coloured in and in any case, if fate has thrown us together, at least we can be civil and polite to each other.

"Just needed a break, I suppose. And you?"
I'm conscious that I'm keeping my left hand below the table, hiding my wedding band and I wonder why I'm doing that. I'm a married woman, with a family and a husband who works hard and loves us all and yet ...
"Trying to clear my head. Been dealing with some stuff at work. You know how it is."

I stir my coffee to distract myself and also to fill the gap in conversation that I know will come but before he can answer, I fill the gap myself.

"So Sam, do you work locally, is this a regular refuelling stop for you?"
I look at him, smiling brightly like I do to a potential employee, trying to put them at their ease.
I haven't seen him in here before and maybe it's just as he said.
"Just needed a break, I suppose".
And now I'm stuck. I need to check the time but I still have my left hand under the table hiding my watch and my wedding band so I ask Sam.
"I'm sorry but I have to be at work. What time is it please?"

As I say it I know it sounds lame and he must be wondering why a woman who's smartly dressed in a business suit needs to ask a stranger what time it is.
And why am I sitting with my left hand under the table? Why am I doing this? What am I signalling to him and, more importantly, what am I signalling to myself?

I push my chair back and stand.
"Sorry about the mix up earlier. Hope your day is ok."

I collect my coat and purse and leave but I can't resist a glance back at the table before the door closes behind me.

Last edited:
Sam watched Eve leave, noting the slight hesitation in her step before she disappeared through the door. He sipped his coffee thoughtfully, pondering the curious encounter. There was something about her a mix of warmth and reservation that intrigued him.

In Sam's head, he is battling with a barrage of thoughts. "I hope she didn't see my wedding band, but should I really hide it, is it necessary? It was just a casual encounter." But she has made a mark , an imprint on his mind.

Finishing his coffee, he glanced at his watch and realised he needed to get to work. The rest of his day passed in a blur of meetings and projects, but Eve's face and the brief conversation lingered in the back of his mind.

The next morning, Sam found himself at the same coffee shop, hoping to see Eve again. He sat at the same table, his eyes scanning the room every few minutes. Just as he was beginning to think she wouldn't show, she walked in. Their eyes met, and she offered a polite, somewhat surprised smile.

"Morning," he greeted as she approached the counter.

"Good morning, Sam," she replied, glancing around as if deciding whether to join him.

Seeing her hesitation, Sam gestured to the empty seat across from him. "Would you like to join me?"

Sometimes work can be a pleasant distraction, demanding total focus and not allowing any other thoughts to bubble to the surface. But of course like any married woman with a family, there were always domestic issues pushing their way forward for consideration: trouble with the kids or a tiff with my husband - nothing serious but something that would need resolving before it festered. And to be fair, we'd always been good at that. We both knew when it was right to apologise and a hug or better still a cuddle in bed before making love meant that by morning our marriage boat was back on an even keel.

But not even work could push thoughts of the man I'd met in Starbucks out of my head.
Sam.
There was something about him that was instantly desirable, but what?
And then it came to me.
He wasn't my husband, he wasn't that kind, generous, loving, caring man who'd helped steer our marriage through difficult times and had always been there for me and the children whenever he was needed.

That wasn't Sam; he was different, intriguing and for now, enigmatic, an unknown, someone different, someone exciting.

All through the day and even in meetings I struggled to keep him out of my mind. His image and voice would pop into my head and in the end I feigned a headache, left early and then did what a besotted teenager would do.
I went back to Starbucks, ordered a decaf latte and sat in the same chair at the same table that I'd been in that morning, wondering that if I pleased the gods by repeating my movements of this morning, they'd let him be there.

Sometimes work can be a pleasant distraction, demanding total focus and not allowing any other thoughts to bubble to the surface. But of course like any married woman with a family, there were always domestic issues pushing their way forward for consideration: trouble with the kids or a tiff with my husband - nothing serious but something that would need resolving before it festered. And to be fair, we'd always been good at that. We both knew when it was right to apologise and a hug or better still a cuddle in bed before making love meant that by morning our marriage boat was back on an even keel.

But not even work could push thoughts of the man I'd met in Starbucks out of my head.
Sam.
There was something about him that was instantly desirable, but what?
And then it came to me.
He wasn't my husband, he wasn't that kind, generous, loving, caring man who'd helped steer our marriage through difficult times and had always been there for me and the children whenever he was needed.

That wasn't Sam; he was different, intriguing and for now, enigmatic, an unknown, someone different, someone exciting.

All through the day and even in meetings I struggled to keep him out of my mind. His image and voice would pop into my head and in the end I feigned a headache, left early and then did what a besotted teenager would do.
I went back to Starbucks, ordered a decaf latte and sat in the same chair at the same table that I'd been in that morning, wondering that if I pleased the gods by repeating my movements of this morning, they'd let him be there.
As Sam sat across from her in Starbucks, he couldn't help but reflect on how different things used to be. He was happily married once and completely in love with Hazel. They were a team, navigating life's challenges with laughter and support. But over time, things had changed. Kids happened, and Hazel became obsessed with the demands of motherhood. She gradually lost interest in him, and the distance between them grew.

He glanced at the woman across the table, who had stirred something within him that he hadn't felt in years. She was listening intently, her eyes full of understanding and empathy. He took a deep breath, deciding to share more of his story.

"Things were great in the beginning," Sam began, his voice tinged with old memories. "Hazel and I were inseparable. We did everything together, and when the kids came along, we were thrilled. But somewhere along the way, she got so wrapped up in being a mom that she forgot how to be a wife. I don't blame her; raising kids is hard. But it feels like she's lost interest in me, in us."

She smiled, a bittersweet expression crossing her face.

"I get it," she said. "It's easy to lose ourselves in our roles for others. But it's important to remember who we are and what we need, too."

Sam looked up, meeting her eyes.

"You know," he continued, "today when I met you, it reminded me of what it felt like to be seen and heard. To have someone genuinely listen to me. I haven't felt that in a long time."

I didn't sleep well and thoughts of Sam and whether he'd be in Starbucks again kept me awake for half the night, partly through excitement at the thought of seeing him again but also because I was questioning myself and what I was thinking, getting involved with a stranger.
The reality was it was crazy to get involved with someone. There was nothing wrong with my marriage and yet I was intrigued and had to know more.

In the morning it was the usual domestic chaos of showers, breakfast and the kids asking for things that were already laid out for them but I got away on time , parked as usual and walked to Starbucks.
At the door, I hesitated, checking myself in the reflection, took a deep breath and walked in.

He was there but I wasn't expecting what came next. It was almost as if he'd been bottling up years of unhappiness and now, with someone who seemed sympathetic it all came tumbling out, his marriage, his kids and the loss of contact between him and his wife. It seemed as if he just needed to unburden
himself.

I waited until he'd finished, listening carefully.
"I do understand. It's easy to lose ourselves in our roles for others. But it's important to remember who we are and what our needs are. We can't help others if we don't look after ourselves."

He smiled.
"You know, today when I met you, it reminded me of what it felt like to be seen and heard. To have someone genuinely listen to me. I haven't felt that in a long time."
Without thinking, I reached across the table and took his hand.
"It's good to unburden yourself and I'm flattered you trusted me. What time do you finish work today? I can get off early at around three o'clock. It's a nice day, what don't we walk and talk in the park?"

I didn't sleep well and thoughts of Sam and whether he'd be in Starbucks again kept me awake for half the night, partly through excitement at the thought of seeing him again but also because I was questioning myself and what I was thinking, getting involved with a stranger.
The reality was it was crazy to get involved with someone. There was nothing wrong with my marriage and yet I was intrigued and had to know more.

In the morning it was the usual domestic chaos of showers, breakfast and the kids asking for things that were already laid out for them but I got away on time , parked as usual and walked to Starbucks.
At the door, I hesitated, checking myself in the reflection, took a deep breath and walked in.

He was there but I wasn't expecting what came next. It was almost as if he'd been bottling up years of unhappiness and now, with someone who seemed sympathetic it all came tumbling out, his marriage, his kids and the loss of contact between him and his wife. It seemed as if he just needed to unburden
himself.

I waited until he'd finished, listening carefully.
"I do understand. It's easy to lose ourselves in our roles for others. But it's important to remember who we are and what our needs are. We can't help others if we don't look after ourselves."

He smiled.
"You know, today when I met you, it reminded me of what it felt like to be seen and heard. To have someone genuinely listen to me. I haven't felt that in a long time."
Without thinking, I reached across the table and took his hand.
"It's good to unburden yourself and I'm flattered you trusted me. What time do you finish work today? I can get off early at around three o'clock. It's a nice day, what don't we walk and talk in the park?"
Sam felt a whirlwind of emotions as Eve took his hand. He was surprised by how quickly and deeply he had connected with her. The fact that she genuinely listened and understood him made him feel seen in a way he hadn't experienced in a long time. Despite the turmoil in his life, being around Eve gave him calm and clarity.

Eve's empathy and kindness touched him deeply. Her willingness to listen without judgment made him feel safe to open up about his struggles. Sam hadn't realised how much he needed someone to confide in until he met her. The idea of spending more time with Eve was both exciting and comforting, and he was eager to explore this newfound connection further.

"I appreciate you listening to me. It’s been such a long time since I’ve felt this kind of connection, and it’s incredibly refreshing. You’re right we often lose ourselves in our roles and forget to take care of our own needs."

Your suggestion sounds wonderful. I finish work at two-thirty today, so meeting at three works perfectly for me. A walk in the park sounds like a great idea. I’m looking forward to continuing our conversation and getting to know you better. Thank you for being so understanding and kind.

Entering the office, Sam found it difficult to concentrate on his work. His thoughts kept drifting back to Eve and their conversation. He felt excitement and nervousness about their upcoming walk in the park. It had been long since he had looked forward to something so much. The anticipation of spending more time with her filled him with hope and curiosity.

As the clock moved closer to three, Sam's excitement grew. He finished his tasks with renewed energy, eager to see Eve again. Walking and talking with her in the park brought peace and possibility that had been missing from his life for too long. Despite the challenges and complexities of his situation, Sam felt a flicker of hope that maybe, just maybe, things could change for the better.....

I was late getting to the park, something had come up that I couldn't leave but eventually I grabbed my coat and purse and walked quickly to the park, wondering if Sam had waited.
I glanced at my watch, gone half past three.
Well, if he'd given up on me and left that would solve my dilemma. It would have been a brief excitement and I could go back to my family with a clear conscience and I let images of the evening with my husband run through my mind.
My husband wouldn't know why but he'd get the best sex he'd had in a long time, I would talk dirty to him and then I'd fuck his brains out and finish up by licking him clean, and I'd put it down to the HRT I was taking for my pre-menopausal symptoms.

But that was half of the attraction with Sam. I was feeling horny more often, presumably the HRT, and he seemed a way of scratching that particular itch as well as being a welcome diversion from the daily routine of family and work.
I stopped at the entrance to the park, scanned around and spotted him and I didn't know whether to feel excited or disappointed that he was still there.
I walked over to him and kissed him briefly on his cheek.

"Hi Sam, sorry I'm late, thanks for waiting."

Last edited:
Sam smiled warmly, the corners of his eyes crinkling with genuine pleasure at seeing her. "Hey, no worries at all," he said, his voice gentle and reassuring. "I figured something must have come up."

He paused for a moment, taking in the sight of her. "I'm just glad you made it. It's really good to see you, Eve."

Eve smiled back, the tension in her shoulders visibly easing. "Thanks, Sam. I needed this."

Sam nodded, his gaze softening. "Me too. Let's make the most of our time together." He offered his arm with a playful grin. "Shall we?"

As they began to walk, Sam felt that familiar sense of peace washes over him, his excitement settling into a comfortable, hopeful anticipation.

The fact that Sam had waited told me that he needed this more than I did. The reality was that if he hadn't been there I'd have shrugged my shoulders and Kate and I would have had a good laugh over it when we next met for coffee.

But here he was and so was I and I wondered briefly if it was right to take advantage of his needs to satisfy myself and if, once done, would that be enough for me? Been there, seen it, got the T shirt or in this case, had an extra marital fuck and on to the next adventure.
Perhaps that's what I really wanted, a series of affairs, luring unsuspecting men into bed for one night stands or in this case today, a surreptitious fuck behind a tree in the park.
And the thrill of that, the excitement, the danger of being caught suddenly had me on fire and mixed with the HRT I was ready for anything.

But then I looked at Ron. Yes he wanted more than a friendship, at least I supposed he did, but would he be happy to have a purely sexual relationship?
I didn't need friendship. I already had that with Kate and also with my husband and I also had a pretty good sex life with my husband.
Yes, I know that it wasn't how it was when we first got together but is anybody's? Isn't that what happens in a marriage?

We were walking in pleasant silence, just enjoying the moment but I wanted more so I linked my arm through his and snuggled uo to him.

"So Ron, our first date. Tell me what you want from this, from us. And you can say anything. I won't be embarrassed or shocked."

The fact that Sam had waited told me that he needed this more than I did. The reality was that if he hadn't been there I'd have shrugged my shoulders and Kate and I would have had a good laugh over it when we next met for coffee.

But here he was and so was I and I wondered briefly if it was right to take advantage of his needs to satisfy myself and if, once done, would that be enough for me? Been there, seen it, got the T shirt or in this case, had an extra marital fuck and on to the next adventure.
Perhaps that's what I really wanted, a series of affairs, luring unsuspecting men into bed for one night stands or in this case today, a surreptitious fuck behind a tree in the park.
And the thrill of that, the excitement, the danger of being caught suddenly had me on fire and mixed with the HRT I was ready for anything.

But then I looked at Ron. Yes he wanted more than a friendship, at least I supposed he did, but would he be happy to have a purely sexual relationship?
I didn't need friendship. I already had that with Kate and also with my husband and I also had a pretty good sex life with my husband.
Yes, I know that it wasn't how it was when we first got together but is anybody's? Isn't that what happens in a marriage?

We were walking in pleasant silence, just enjoying the moment but I wanted more so I linked my arm through his and snuggled uo to him.

"So Ron, our first date. Tell me what you want from this, from us. And you can say anything. I won't be embarrassed or shocked."
I'm lost a bit 😀

Back