anon comment topic from the review thread

who called me sweet anna?

PatCarrington said:
may i suggest decaf?

and no complex carbs for a few hours. :)

:kiss:

yeah come here and say that motherfucker

:catroar:

anna waiting for it to kick in

Eve's Ass

annaswirls said:
So if you don't like it, call it crap, why not? It can be the most perfectly constructed poem and still be crap crap boring crap to me.

Can I appreciate the form? The style? The word selections? The exquisite line breaks, well certainly. But it still might bore me to death, you know? People have every right to call poetry they don't like CRAP, and if you don't believe it then it should be no big deal.

I have had mine called much worse. I think that of many poems in prestigious journals are boring perfect mother fucking crap.

~annananna

Two things:

1) Anna, I love you. You are a goddess in mind, body, and spirit and I joyously throw myself at your feet in abject worship.

2) Did you ever notice that Eve's ass is SWEET!

xoxo

srw

Whenever I see comments about the validity of constructive criticism, I just think back to the scene in Dead Poet's Society where the headmaster instructs the new teacher that they are going to teach english and poetry construction in just such a way because it's been done that way for years.

There are those that have many years of experience, and those that have 1 year of experience repeated many times. Oftentimes for the new writer, it's hard to tell which is which.

If I get constructive criticism (For my definition, you can click the link to "Creating Constructive Feedback" in my sig) from anyone, I take a look at it, weigh it and then use it or not.

Because, sometimes... someone has an insight from a fresh perspective that can make a huge difference in what you're writing that would otherwise be disregarded.

flyguy69 said:
Sorry, Ange, but this is so cliche. :p

There are large presumptions in Pat's position, too, of course. In particular that an experienced practitioner is also a good teacher.

But assuming the input we desire is suggestions on improving our craft, an experienced writer will have more to offer than a novice. If the question is simply "do you like this one?" no response is any more or less valid than any other.

Which is the problem with Ray's example. It appears that a great many visitors to the gallery were not knowledgable artists, but liked two paintings there. The one visitor with more experience did not. As long as the novices stay novices, lots paintings get sold. If, however, they grow in their understanding of art the painter is in trouble.

To be discerning is not to miss beauty. It is, in fact, to find it where others may not.

And if popularity is to be the sole criterion for quality then shows like "Stacked" will be on television and grownups will wear cargo pants. Oh, wait....

No, it's not cliche because we misunderstood each other. I didn't mean someone new to writing at all, I meant someone new to here--and that person could well be a very experienced writer. Anyway, I'm not suggesting that everyone wants suggestions on how to improve their poems, just that I do if a reader has something constructive to say. And I may or may not agree with them, but I find it more illuminating to hear what specifically someone thought was good or not good in what I wrote than that they (generally) loved it or thought it sucked.

On the other hand, sometimes a total novice to writing or poems will look at a piece of writing with fresh eyes and catch something that more experienced writers miss. It doesn't happen often, but it does on occasion.

See what I mean? :)

:rose:

PatCarrington said:
the coffee or the door?

neither, my sensibilities

I think they are on their way back

thanks for putting up with my goddamn motherfucker phase of the pendulum that is my mind

annaswirls said:
neither, my sensibilities

I think they are on their way back

thanks for putting up with my goddamn motherfucker phase of the pendulum that is my mind

:) stay in bed.....i'll bring you a cup.

caffeinated. :kiss:

Back