'Bad' Movies, TV Shows, Books Etc. You Like

Top Gun was great fun as a teenager; I watched it maybe four times. There's no way I could watch it today.

"Talk to me, Goose."
There were some serious homo-erotic undertones between Cruise and...whatever the other guy's name was. I haven't seen it since it came out.

And Transylvania-6-5000 which also fits this thread.
That title was based on a Glenn Miller song which used the real phone number of the now-gone Hotel Pennsylvania. Was that even referred to in the movie?

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to critics. The bit that I do is a general "it's supposed to be good so I'll watch it and see if I like it" type thing.

I got beat to it but "Big Trouble in Little China" is a great guilty pleasure romp that is so bad it's good. I'd put "Idiocracy" in that category too. Another one is "Demolition Man".

"The Thirteenth Warrior" I liked a lot and didn't consider it a bad movie.

But then I've never been known as a sophisticated person.

Comshaw

That title was based on a Glenn Miller song which used the real phone number of the now-gone Hotel Pennsylvania. Was that even referred to in the movie?
Title only, play on words. The flick was a spoof of B movie monster films with Dracula, a mad scientist that may have been based on Dr Moreau, villagers with torches and a few other things.

"If I had a rocket-launcher, some son-of-a-bitch would die." Death Wish III: Bronson takes vigilante firepower to a new level. Also, alternating scenes filmed in Brooklyn and London which are impossible to edit plausibly.

A buddy just reminded me of a campy/awful flick that amused me - Spies Like Us. It's only on my list because much of it was filmed in my home town.
Lancaster California? Notable that the ending was changed because test audiences didn't like the downbeat results. Imagine if Lit could do that.

Lancaster California?

SHHHH!!! ;) Totally different town than when I lived there. Used to be an isolated bedroom community for the aerospace industry - Edwards AFB and AF Plant 42; Dad worked for NASA*. Population was around 25,000 when I left, and it was unincorporated. Freeway into the L.A. basin was done ~1970 and suddenly it became feasible to commute. Population is 160,000 now. I last visited 30 years ago and barely recognized it then; my family scattered to the (incessant!) winds so there's been no reason to go back. I sort of miss the desert, tho'.

The drive-in theater used in the movie was closed for something like 20 years and finally razed around 2000.

* - When Neil Armstrong was training on the moon lander simulator at Edwards, he hung with Dad's poker group. Neil landed in our kitchen to play cards well before landing on the moon.

The Fifth Element

Sucker Punch

Mystery Men

There’s something campy, irreverent, and fantastic about each of these movies. The first two hit my kinks and the last one has Tom Waits. 😁

I remember watching that one because my MIL was a big Connery fan and collected all his stuff going back to Darby O'Gill. I remember thinking it was just a hair away from being a good movie because the story was actually intriguing.

Yeah, the story has some interesting parts. I think it could be remade today with a bigger budget and better effects, and would probably be a much better movie.

I love it for how ridiculous and campy it is.

Top Gun was great fun as a teenager; I watched it maybe four times. There's no way I could watch it today.

"Talk to me, Goose."

The new one, Top Gun:Maverick, is much better, IMO. It's not "bad" in any way. The original was fun but it never made any sense to me--the conflict with the Russians, the part of Kelly McGillis. The new one has a more cohesive plot and more fully realized characters and relationships. And the flight scenes are better and more exciting.

Glen or Glenda: a chaotic mess but also weirdly wholesome and earnest.
Plan 9 From Outer Space (same director) and Robot Monster (a guy in a gorilla suit with a diving helmet on his head) used to circulate in Oz as a double feature all through the eighties. Best seen off your face.

The original "Road House" movie with Patrick Swayze was 100% total crap in every way, and I loved every minute of it. I think it's the greatest bad movie of all time. Everything about it is completely stupid, yet weirdly enjoyable.

So many great, stupid, and still quotable lines from that movie. My personal favorite is the idiotic, “Pain don’t hurt.“

Funny thing, though? Apparently Dalton’s speech to the bouncers is pretty close to industry standard in the high end club business these days. In that respect, it’s like My Cousin Vinny, i.e. thoroughly researched and accurate, even though the rest of the movie around it is unabridged silliness.

Last edited:
The 13th Warrior, in my opinion, wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. And I say that as someone who isn't overly interested in Norse history and who was bored to tears by what little I saw of the Vikings series.
I looooove 13th Warrior, completely unironically. The only problematic bit, for me, is that a bunch of neo-nazis and the like revere it as an ideal of “Aryan manhood” or done shit, down to using the “Lo, I see my father…” speech in songs, sig files, etc.

I looooove 13th Warrior, completely unironically. The only problematic bit, for me, is that a bunch of neo-nazis and the like revere it as an ideal of “Aryan manhood” or done shit, down to using the “Lo, I see my father…” speech in songs, sig files, etc.
Kind of ironic, considering the presence of an Arab narrator or the role played by the Volga Vikings in the Byzantine, Islamic, and (((Khazar))) slave trade.

Last edited:
How bad can a flick get?

May I enter Repo Man into evidence?
You can't go wrong with Harry Dean Stanton. Not sure why Alex Cox (?) had to add a science fiction element to what is basically a neo-realist movie.

You can't go wrong with Harry Dean Stanton. Not sure why Alex Cox (?) had to add a science fiction element to what is basically a neo-realist movie.

The play/movie that was based on, Repo! The Genetic Opera, is absolutely fantastic madness on the same level as Rocky Horror. I wrote some of my best horrotica vignettes in homage of that flick.

Edit: NVM, wrong repo movie. But the other one about reclaiming financed organs was pretty bad too.

Back