Being autistic and random stuff

I read elsewhere of a theory suggesting that the reason Neanderthal's disappeared was that they had lived in a temperate climate where there were fewer mutations in viruses and pathogens. Homo Sapiens, in Africa, were subjected to a greater variety of diseases and so emerged with a broader resistance. Perhaps HS introduced novel diseases to which Neanderthals had no immunity?
Perhaps one day links will be found to the incidence of autism, but it's still early days in understanding the implications of DNA or how the brain operates.

Is autism less common in other races, or do the diagnostic methods result in a bias, in the same way IQ tests skew 'intelligence'? I'll go research... :)
Then again HS might not have survived in Eurasia without the genome from neanderthals which provided better immunity...

The drawback it getting overactive at times, resulting in allergies etc.

Then again HS might not have survived in Eurasia without the genome from neanderthals which provided better immunity...

True
It might have been that folks from Africa had better dress sense and music :cool:

The allergy thing is a pain in the butt every spring for both my Autie friend and I. We spend April and May being miserable, though she overloads worse than I do. She usually threatens to move away every spring which puts me into a tailspin until I realize it is just frustration talking.

On a side note, I get a kick out of the fact that Neanderthal Man gets his name from the Neander Valley (Neanderthal) which was named for the 17th century German Reformed pastor and hymn writer Joachim Neander, which links to one of my special interests.

The allergy thing is a pain in the butt every spring for both my Autie friend and I. We spend April and May being miserable, though she overloads worse than I do. She usually threatens to move away every spring which puts me into a tailspin until I realize it is just frustration talking.

On a side note, I get a kick out of the fact that Neanderthal Man gets his name from the Neander Valley (Neanderthal) which was named for the 17th century German Reformed pastor and hymn writer Joachim Neander, which links to one of my special interests.
Shame his name wasn't Smith or Jones!! I always struggle with pronouncing the name

Shame his name wasn't Smith or Jones!! I always struggle with pronouncing the name
German names don't bother me, but Neander is a Latinization of Neumann. German academics were always doing it. Melanchthon set off as the perfectly respectable Schwartzerd, and Oecelampadius as Hussgen! Anything French or Spanish, and it is time to send for help! That said, the German Reformation of one of the subjects I teach, so it would be a bit embarrassing not to be able to make a fair approximation at the names.

Here's something I'd like to share to see if I'm alone on this.

I'm useless in trying to pick out what someone is saying against background noise - like people talking in a bar or club.

Then I spoke to a neighbour today who I don't see often. I struggled to understand what she was saying: we were outside, no intrusive noise to fight against, but I had to ask to repeat things and guess at some things she said. I realised I needed to kind of map out her personal accent and the way she spoke: what phrases she tends to use, her intonation... It's like my brain can't be intuitive with speech. Meeting and speaking to someone new can be a challenge unless we pretty much face to face. I'm not deaf, but I'm sometimes not great at turning the noise from people's mouths into something coherent.

Anyone?

I'm useless in trying to pick out what someone is saying against background noise - like people talking in a bar or club.

Then I spoke to a neighbour today who I don't see often. I struggled to understand what she was saying: we were outside, no intrusive noise to fight against, but I had to ask to repeat things and guess at some things she said. I realised I needed to kind of map out her personal accent and the way she spoke: what phrases she tends to use, her intonation... It's like my brain can't be intuitive with speech. Meeting and speaking to someone new can be a challenge unless we pretty much face to face. I'm not deaf, but I'm sometimes not great at turning the noise from people's mouths into something coherent.

Anyone?
You are not alone. I have great difficulty hearing folks talking to me in a noisy place as I seem to be only partly able to filter background noise. People I do not know can be very difficult because I am not used to their accent and intonation.

You are not alone. I have great difficulty hearing folks talking to me in a noisy place as I seem to be only partly able to filter background noise. People I do not know can be very difficult because I am not used to their accent and intonation.
Thanks
I always suspected it was a problem area for me long before I was diagnosed

Thanks
I have the same problem, but have always thought of it as a product of aging. That doesn't apply to you youngsters. My hearing has been tested and confirms some hearing loss, but within the range of what is considered normal for my age. However, the diagnosis also showed the impact of other noises on my ability to hear speaking voices...particularly those in the higher frequency range. And, yes, an unfamiliar accent compounds the problem. I don't think you should assume it is an autism issue.

Thanks
On a slightly humorous note. My Autie best friend is great in those situations as she has a high pitched, loudish voice, so I can hear her over non-specific noise just fine, AND she always has something to say worth listening to.

Anyone?
About half of autistic people have auditory processing disorder. Me too.

If you need to describe it to anyone, this video can do it for you.

My hearing is actually excellent... It was tested because of issues in getting what is said. And I've played violin, my hearing regarding tones is actually very precise.

Doesn't help with speech when the issue is not in the ears but ln the brain.

(It doesn't always help enjoying music either... Some singers aren't that precise!)

About half of autistic people have auditory processing disorder. Me too.

If you need to describe it to anyone, this video can do it for you.
Oh yes to 95% of these! :rose: It's such a relief to hear someone describe the same problems I have.

I often pause as my brain unscrambles noises into meaningful words - like an auditory jigsaw. I'll replay the string of sounds in my mind to try to construct it into words. I never thought that could be exacerbated by tiredness. ✔️
Watching a movie where the vital words are whispered ... we were not supposed to hear that line?! ✔️
I thought friends had gone off and learnt song lyrics, not simply heard and understood them as they were sung 😮✔️
Onslaughts of information. Wait, I'm still unscrambling the last thing you said. ✔️
Learning French - hopeless, unless I can see the words not simply hear them.✔️
Echoey surroundings: but no one can hear in those situations. Can they? They can?! 😮 ✔️

wrt to telephone calls: through work, I've developed a method to organise how a conversation runs. For example, I'll blame telephone noise if I didn't hear something clearly and ask to pause or repeat something, saying I'm writing it down. I can't do social calls because there is no structure or formality to it.

OTOH I focus more in a conversation - I have to, and that makes me a good listener. I do hugs too :)

Oh yes to 95% of these! :rose: It's such a relief to hear someone describe the same problems I have.

I often pause as my brain unscrambles noises into meaningful words - like an auditory jigsaw. I'll replay the string of sounds in my mind to try to construct it into words. I never thought that could be exacerbated by tiredness. ✔️
Watching a movie where the vital words are whispered ... we were not supposed to hear that line?! ✔️
I thought friends had gone off and learnt song lyrics, not simply heard and understood them as they were sung 😮✔️
Onslaughts of information. Wait, I'm still unscrambling the last thing you said. ✔️
Learning French - hopeless, unless I can see the words not simply hear them.✔️
Echoey surroundings: but no one can hear in those situations. Can they? They can?! 😮 ✔️

wrt to telephone calls: through work, I've developed a method to organise how a conversation runs. For example, I'll blame telephone noise if I didn't hear something clearly and ask to pause or repeat something, saying I'm writing it down. I can't do social calls because there is no structure or formality to it.

OTOH I focus more in a conversation - I have to, and that makes me a good listener. I do hugs too :)
The phone is a nightmare for me. OK if I am talking to an old friend, but worse than useless when dealing with a stranger or acquaintance. That said, don't expect me to remember a darn thing from a phone conversation...

The phone is a nightmare for me. OK if I am talking to an old friend, but worse than useless when dealing with a stranger or acquaintance. That said, don't expect me to remember a darn thing from a phone conversation...
Even generally, remembering conversations mostly works only if things are written down.

Even generally, remembering conversations mostly works only if things are written down.
I keep a note book by the phone and jot down key words and phrases - it is the only way I'll remember anything. Face to face conversations I need to note down the important points as soon as possible in order to retain them. The funny thing is that once I have made the notes I don't need them again as the act of writing it down fixes it in my memory.

I've been much more aware of my quirks since my previous primary care physician gave me the verdict of 'I'd be surprised if you are not' when my wife raised the issue of Asperger's Syndrome as a possible 'cause' for some of my 'unusual' behaviours. Of course, I was blissfully unaware of many of my quirks because I think one of my dad may have been Autie too.

I've been much more aware of my quirks since my previous primary care physician gave me the verdict of 'I'd be surprised if you are not' when my wife raised the issue of Asperger's Syndrome as a possible 'cause' for some of my 'unusual' behaviours. Of course, I was blissfully unaware of many of my quirks because I think one of my dad may have been Autie too.
Yeah, similarly in my family many autism traits are just being similar to my dad...

Yet families are often the first to doubt a diagnosis...

I never knew my Dad because he died when I was a tot. All I have are second-hand accounts; my mother finds it hard to be objective about him, but her brother in law is, instead, objectionable... sorry, I was about to rant!! I'd better not.

Last edited:
Well, undiagnosed and unaware people will think the traits are normal 🤷🏻‍♀️ Because to them it is!

And how many "so this isn't normal or something that everybody does?" moments are there before and after diagnosis?

I hope you have a fix and have time to use it x
Ultimately, I had to acknowledge the fact I cannot do everything, and round up some folks I can trust to work without detailed instructions to take jobs over and give me a breathing space. Thus, I was up at 4am writing emails and delegating jobs the other morning, which has averted the immediate crisis. Now if one person will leave me along for a few days until I get the bids back from a couple of contractors, I'll be fine. Not seeing much of my 'special friend' this weekend did not help. She's on the spectrum too, and it helps to talk to her.

Back