Challenge: Grab a Partner

Re: Re: Catbabe and I

BooMerengue said:
Jeeez!!! Where can I get some Absinthe? I've always wanted to try it- think it'll help? It sure couldn't hurt!

Thats wonderful, Tath and Cat. I try soooo hard to do that and I never ... quite... make it!

I'd post a link where you can order it but it might be against the rules
and honestly we did this without it
I think I was at work while we exchanged most of the lines

Cat cleaned it up very nicely
if it was just mine it's be another rambling dissertation on purity and illusion and all that other drivel I write
: )

Belegon said:
Boo and I are twelve lines in and the work is taking on a life all it's own...which I LOVE! My best stories are written with the characters telling me what to do rather than me telling them.

Honey and I are about ten lines in. This has really been very cool. All the challenges I have answered have helped me stretch, but the interaction on this one gives it an added dimension.

Boo, Absinthe is still legal in Portugal and the Czech Republic. There are concoctions using the name other places, but as far as I know, only in those places can you still get the real thing. ( I want to try it too...)

I order mine from the czech republic via the UK

Tathagata said:
I order mine from the czech republic via the UK

Are you in the US? Does it get through customs OK? If you have found a reputable dealer I would be interested in exploring the idea. Could you PM me that link so it would not break Lit rules?

a lyric attributed to Glenn MacDonough from an absinthe history sight...

I will free you first from burning thirst
That is born of a night of the bowl,
Like a sun 'twill rise through the inky skies
That so heavily hang o'er your souls.
At the first cool sip on your fevered lip
You determine to live through the day,
Life's again worth while as with a dawining smile
You imbibe your absinthe frappé.

Boo and I have added 3 lines so far this morning...we will hit 16 today but it make take more than that to finish our "story"

Belegon said:
Are you in the US? Does it get through customs OK? If you have found a reputable dealer I would be interested in exploring the idea. Could you PM me that link so it would not break Lit rules?

on its way

ok

What IS Absinthe and why is it ILlegal?? Is it expensive? Addictive? Lethal?

Sounds better and better.

Yeah- Belegon and I are doing great- I LOVE this challenge- hope it goes on forever. I have finished a 'dance' with Reltne, AverageGina, and Remec. Still working with irishcatsmeow, Belegon, Lazarus, Maria and possibly dr-mabeuse.

And theres still room on my dance card...

I heard somewhere that they were approving a weaker version of Absinthe for the US. Dunno when or it it's really true...

Re: absinthe

Tathagata said:

Thanks, Tath! I found this...la Fee Verte's Absinthe House

I think this'll be my next mission.

Hey Tath... wanna try a Crescent City Slide?

"With anise breath she blew a kiss
to the balcony above"

we'll do a 2 step(line) to make it short and sweet! Huh?
vangogh.gif

Last edited:
Re: Re: absinthe

to the balcony above"

he answered with that tiny smile
that spake of the moon and love

Boo, I have a PM for you but your box is full...I have a football game starting soon, just let's both put a lot of thought into this next stanza. we have time, don't feel pressured...

Re: Re: Re: absinthe

Tathagata said:
to the balcony above"

Crossing slowly to the little cafe
she ordered another cup

ahhh... you want to do this in public?? Tres magnifique!

Re: Re: Re: Re: absinthe

to the balcony above"

she ordered another cup

he watched her willowly winsome walking
what images conjured up

ahhh... you want to do this in public?? Tres magnifique! [/B][/QUOTE]

Havent you always wanted to do it in front of everyone??
; )

Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

Post removed - because of almost universal objection to the concept.
Doug and FaberusPetrus are no more.

Sorry if you have been offended by tribute in a modality that you do understand/appreciate.

Last edited:
Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

Boobus Merengus walks out and crumbles back to dust as did her Latin books many many years ago....

Last edited:
Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

FaberusPetrus said:
Is anyone interested in alternating lines with SmithPeter (in any of his manifestations)?
His words will start the poem, no guaranteeing what might follow. You must be the adaptive one.

Here is how this works. I have all of SP's Lit. posted work (800+ poems) entered into a computer program that randomly spits back lines. My only input is to select them and perhaps edit for tense or gender, etc.

If you want to "write with SP" post up here.

If there is more than one who wishes to do this, then I will pick one with which to start. - I don't want to overdo this until we see how/if it works.

FaberusPetrus (SmithPeter in Latin)
As far as I'm concerned, it's possibly plagiarism--since there is no way to obtain is permission. I know he would not like you dissecting his poems and passing out lines.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: absinthe

Tathagata said:
to the balcony above"

she ordered another cup

he watched her willowly winsome walking
what images conjured up

ahhh... you want to do this in public?? Tres magnifique!

Havent you always wanted to do it in front of everyone??
; ) [/B][/QUOTE]

*wink Well, does a National Park on a busy Autumn Sunday count?

*drawing a curtain around us...

Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:
As far as I'm concerned, it's possibly plagiarism--since there is no way to obtain is permission. I know he would not like you dissecting his poems and passing out lines.

It's not plagiarism if credit is given, right?

Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

BooMerengue said:
It's not plagiarism if credit is given, right?

plagerism or not, it is something that everyone needs to think about before doing this- sure writing with Doug again would be the dream of many people - but that is not possible- and primarily is this something that he would have wanted?

I do not claim to have any say over what is done, I know everyone pays tribute the way they want to and can. I do not claim to know what he would or would not have wanted, but I do have a pretty good idea.

Anyone want to back me up on this?

The time to write with Doug is passed. If anything, I would love to do a challenge where we take a sp poem and write a poem in response to it. How it moves us.

Pasting pieces of poems together does not seem to have soul.

A response to something he wrote, a living loving person, that has soul and style and heart. He would like this, I know. It is how he left comments on other peoples poetry, by writing a poem back. It seems like a more appropriate tribute.

His poetry is still alive. I do not like the idea of dissecting it. ick.

Just something to think about. If you want to, before you decide to do this activity, that upon first glance seems irrestible.

~anna

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

annaswirls said:
I do not claim to have any say over what is done, I know everyone pays tribute the way they want to and can. I do not claim to know what he would or would not have wanted, but I do have a pretty good idea.
There are 3 of us on this board who were in constant contact with Doug. We do know what he thought about many things. Anna you have more than a pretty good idea. He would NOT have wanted this. Using 1 line, I can see. But ripping the man's work apart and using it this way is disturbing to some of us who loved him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:
There are 3 of us on this board who were in constant contact with Doug. We do know what he thought about many things. Anna you have more than a pretty good idea. He would NOT have wanted this. Using 1 line, I can see. But ripping the man's work apart and using it this way is disturbing to some of us who loved him.

Well, I liked the idea at first, but it's not a good idea if it hurts anyone- living or dead. So why don't we just skip it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

annaswirls said:
The time to write with Doug is passed. If anything, I would love to do a challenge where we take a sp poem and write a poem in response to it. How it moves us.
Anna, that is a lovely idea. He was very inspirational. I know we both write poetry that he inspired. I really like this idea.

I have these links on my signature so I can use it as quick reference when I put up his poems on the mirror board. I just made them bigger here.

I have found that reading his poetry always snaps me out of a dry spell. There are more than enough to chose from.

Getting feedback on his poems was more important to him than I would have guessed. He wanted people to read his poems.

I personally would love to see people's reactions to his work. Not trying to imitate, just responding.

:rose:

Eve and anna, he would be so floored to see the two of you together like this :)

-2Rivers- smithpeter- air2o- oxalis- Palau- svelt walker-

Back