Challenge: Grab a Partner

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:
Anna, that is a lovely idea. He was very inspirational. I know we both write poetry that he inspired. I really like this idea.

Person 3 weighing in. :)

I sure don't claim to channel Doug, but I think I came to know him pretty well--I considered him one of my closest friends.

We spent two years discussing poetry.He was very very persnickety about his poems. After about 18 months of talk and trust-building, he told me it would be ok for me to edit his stuff--that is to say he would consider my suggestions. Truth is, I would never try to edit him anyway--his style was unique.

But all this is to say, I think if he were around today and saw this challenge he might want to write something new with someone, but I don't think he'd like any of his poems taken apart and reassembled--he had definite reasons for saying what he did the way he did (he certainly was always ready to explain/defend what he wrote, lol).

I know that those of us who loved his writing could see using his poems as a tribute, but I know Doug--I don't think he'd want it. (I also don't think he'd want it because he was very modest and didn't like that sort of attention.)

I agree with Eve--Anna's idea is wonderful. I'd do that. (Actually I have already. A bunch of times.)

:rose:
A.

WickedEve said:
anna, stuffed box.

You know I am still so sensitive about this, as are others. I for one still do not believe he is gone. It is out of the realm of possibility.

Hope there are no hard feelings.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

Angeline said:
We're like pit bulls for Doug. lol This, he would like.

Okay, back to the thread topic about grabbing a partner. What if the poem bites? Can I post it only on this thread. :eek:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

Angeline said:

I sure don't claim to channel Doug, but I think I came to know him pretty well--I considered him one of my closest friends.

We spent two years discussing poetry.He was very very persnickety about his poems. After about 18 months of talk and trust-building, he told me it would be ok for me to edit his stuff--that is to say he would consider my suggestions. Truth is, I would never try to edit him anyway--his style was unique.

A.

persnickety! omg that is the perfect word! it is now on my list of mental adjectives for Doug. Thanks Ange!

He would sometimes ask my opinion about things he was writing, damn, oh one I remember he asked if the term "opening swoop" was too common.

I don't think he ever EVER had the problem of being too common.

How is this for a hijacked thread?

~J

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:

Okay, back to the thread topic about grabbing a partner. What if the poem bites? Can I post it only on this thread. :eek:

:D

Well, no. You have to post it anyway.

Oh. I dunno.

I'm gonna go watch Dylan on 60 Minutes. :D

WickedEve said:

agree with this one 100%
think we should make it into a sit com set in the 70's

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

Angeline said:

Well, no. You have to post it anyway.

Oh. I dunno.

I'm gonna go watch Dylan on 60 Minutes. :D

Dylan!?

You mean from Beverly Hills 90210? I am SO there!!!

:p

WickedEve said:

I think it is okay just to post it on this thread, no? Liar and I wrote two and they kick ass, and I am allowed to say that without feeling egotistical because I really am only talking about his half.

I will not be here from the 9-12th and I want to post it early. Wah. I dont wanna wait.

Maybe we should put it here first.

And I am sure yours does not bite, Eve. I mean, well, maybe in the neck.:devil:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

annaswirls said:
I think it is okay just to post it on this thread, no? Liar and I wrote two and they kick ass, and I am allowed to say that without feeling egotistical because I really am only talking about his half.

I will not be here from the 9-12th and I want to post it early. Wah. I dont wanna wait.

Maybe we should put it here first.

And I am sure yours does not bite, Eve. I mean, well, maybe in the neck.:devil:
I'm writing a poem with my Master! He's one of those play-by-the-rules kind of guys. He won't talk to me about the poem. I don't understand it. I just sent another line that ends with a ____, because I didn't know what to put there. I didn't say anything. I just sent my words and a blank. I hope he'll fill it in--the big meanie.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:
I'm writing a poem with my Master! He's one of those play-by-the-rules kind of guys. He won't talk to me about the poem. I don't understand it. I just sent another line that ends with a ____, because I didn't know what to put there. I didn't say anything. I just sent my words and a blank. I hope he'll fill it in--the big meanie.

lol!

this is one lucky man, that is for certain

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

annaswirls said:
Dylan!?

You mean from Beverly Hills 90210? I am SO there!!!

:p

Nah. Not the young studly actor, the old taciturn folk singer. :D

Anyway we just watched it. He was cool, but um old and taciturn. lol.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

Angeline said:

You're listening to that instead of writing poetry? That's kind of sad. :)

Angeline said:

Has it been 60 minutes already??
dayum.

you know Ange, I just could not visalize you and ee watching Dylan talk about his life with Brandon and how Brenda was such a bitch.

I am blaming my college roommate, she was a junkie, or I would know nothing of this series.

Saw Dylan and Petty in '86 down in Philly. Were you there?

:cool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:

um I bet she wrote 10 poems while watching it

oh wait that is me

she wrote One GOOD poem while she was watching it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

WickedEve said:

I wrote a poem later. :)

Anyway, you think I spend every spare moment writing poems? I have important things to do like um watch interviews with ee. Well, not ee being interviewed, although that would be very interesting. I'd watch that for sure. You've read his posts. Can you imagine listening to him talk? I listen to him talk every day. A lot. I think it's corroding my brain, lol.

But we switched back and forth between Dylan and Tom Wolfe. Then we discussed them both. And I made dinner. It was fun, but not too productive, poemwise. :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's Your Chance to Write with Doug!

annaswirls said:
um I bet she wrote 10 poems while watching it

oh wait that is me

she wrote One GOOD poem while she was watching it.

hehe.

That *was* later.

I have to go write nine poems now.

Angeline said:

crap, I was suppose to stop working to check that out... ah well.

I'll just wait thirty years for the next interview. :D

HomerPindar

I thought poets and wannabe poets read and listened to every poet possible. Well, kids- there ain't no greater poet than Bob Dylan! He played a large part in growing me up. I still get that funny feeling of finding out theres more to the world than Mom and Dad told me about when I think of these 2 songs in particular, but any Dylan does it to me.

Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands- 1966

Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands,
Where the sad-eyed prophet says that no man comes,
My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums,
Should I leave them by your gate,
Or, sad-eyed lady, should I wait?

or

I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine - 1967

I dreamed I saw St. Augustine,
Alive with fiery breath,
And I dreamed I was amongst the ones
That put him out to death.
Oh, I awoke in anger,
So alone and terrified,
I put my fingers against the glass
And bowed my head and cried.

lol I never realized til just now how often I use that meter in my own drivel!

oh, by the way

I'm not submitting any of the poems I've partnered on here. If the partners wish to they have my blessing, but I don't want to. But I have had so much fun and found so much diversity that I AM going to post them in this thread- begging irish's permission.

I hope this is okay w/ everyone. ????

BooMerengue said:
oh, by the way

I'm not submitting any of the poems I've partnered on here. If the partners wish to they have my blessing, but I don't want to. But I have had so much fun and found so much diversity that I AM going to post them in this thread- begging irish's permission.

Boo - you can post them wherever you want to....but please clean out your PM box...my next line is just waiting to be answered.

BooMerengue said:
oh, by the way

I guess this means our dance will be on my submissions page...we still have to tile it, although I think this is definitely one where we could do the ol' first line trick if we can't come up with something better.

our tale really grew in the telling.

Re: Re: Re: Re: absinthe

Cerriwiden said:
With you? Sure. :)

*sitting

*waiting

*tappin fingers

*watchin mailbox

*listenin to phone

*bitin nails

*giggling

Hey! Newbie! Care to dance?

"he strolled down the avenue alone in the cold...

Back