Chaos... to be continued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, people who can go back and forth from one to the other language without pausing totally fascinate me. How long will you be there?
I can do this. It's called translanguaging***. It is super fascinating. I've seen a lot of tiktoks talking about the subject. Sometimes people criticize people who can do that implying that person doesn't know either language fluently but its the opposite and it's more complicated and fascinating than that.

My 9yo niece started doing it too and I was like ❤️❤️❤️❤️
My brother told me it was a little beat up, but it's beauty remains. I actually got the ticket from him as a B-Day present
Ohhh that's such a lovely gift. 😍

Last edited:
I can do this. It's called code switching. It is super fascinating. I've seen a lot of tiktoks talking about the subject. Sometimes people criticize people who can code switch implying that person doesn't know either language fluently but its the opposite and it's more complicated and fascinating than that.
My Brother can. Not me so much.
My 9yo niece started code switching too and I was like ❤️❤️❤️❤️
That's amazing
It blew my mind

I can do this. It's called code switching. It is super fascinating. I've seen a lot of tiktoks talking about the subject. Sometimes people criticize people who can code switch implying that person doesn't know either language fluently but its the opposite and it's more complicated and fascinating than that.

My 9yo niece started code switching too and I was like ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Oh, interesting... I always thought of code switching as changing demeanor to fit in to a different cultural environment. Like a lot of people of color in the U.S. are forced to speak more "white" to fit into a lot of jobs. Or even my best friend who speaks English to her mother & sisters, but in a totally different accent than she speaks to anyone else (she's Indian but grew up in Singapore, so her accent is more British, except when she talks to them & sounds Indian).
🙋🏻‍♀️ Being able to do that (at least between some languages) doesn't mean it doesn't take extra effort.
Oh, I'm sure! Just thinking about it makes my brain tired 😂

Do you think maybe you can do this because of your career? My brother works with Latinos who are primarily spanish speaking.

I can do this. It's called translanguaging***. It is super fascinating. I've seen a lot of tiktoks talking about the subject. Sometimes people criticize people who can do that implying that person doesn't know either language fluently but its the opposite and it's more complicated and fascinating than that.

My 9yo niece started doing it too and I was like ❤️❤️❤️❤️

My bad is called translaguaging! I got confused between the two
My Brother can. Not me so much.

That's amazing

It blew my mind
❤️

Here's my fav tiktoker on the subject. He has a phd and does research on language (if you're interested)

This one he switches to Spanish but says almost the same in English so you'll understand
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR1BU4Vk/?k=1

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR1B5Wqg/?k=1

Oh, interesting... I always thought of code switching as changing demeanor to fit in to a different cultural environment. Like a lot of people of color in the U.S. are forced to speak more "white" to fit into a lot of jobs. Or even my best friend who speaks English to her mother & sisters, but in a totally different accent than she speaks to anyone else (she's Indian but grew up in Singapore, so her accent is more British, except when she talks to them & sounds Indian).

That's def code switching. It seems like its related. (I edited my original quote bc I got it wrong the first time)
Do you think maybe you can do this because of your career? My brother works with Latinos who are primarily spanish speaking.
Hmm I'm sure it's helped. I've been doing community work since I was 17 and I only spoke Spanish at home until my niece learned English then I speak in both languages with her.

Also my friends are mostly bilingual so we all switch between languages back and forth. So basically I have never stopped using my first language. But then school and work (maybe 70%) is all English.

I'd say the people I work with maybe 3 or 4 out of 5 are primarily Spanish speakers. But it depends. Sometimes they all speak English.

I grew up in a bilingual area, and belonged to a Swedish-speaking orienteering club. Went to take an IB diploma instead of ordinary Finnish high school, our class was half Finnish, half Swedish, and the teaching language was English!

So I have been juggling since I was around... Hmmm... 12 years old. Sometimes even within one sentence.

I was exhausted after the 1st week in high school, using several language took its toll although I could manage pretty well.

Oh, that's so funny! I have to bookmark that to listen to again when I'm a little more advanced with German. With all the English in there, I can sort of understand, but the German parts are still a little fast for me. 😂
That's def code switching. It seems like its related. (I edited my original quote bc I got it wrong the first time)

Hmm I'm sure it's helped. I've been doing community work since I was 17 and I only spoke Spanish at home until my niece learned English then I speak in both languages with her.

Also my friends are mostly bilingual so we all switch between languages back and forth. So basically I have never stopped using my first language. But then school and work (maybe 70%) is all English.

I'd say the people I work with maybe 3 or 4 out of 5 are primarily Spanish speakers. But it depends. Sometimes they all speak English.
Well, like the professor said in the 1st TikTok, I'm definitely envious 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back