do they know what poetry is?

wildsweetone said:
...and then state your critique. It's only a few words to add. And well, if you don't want to take the heat for your own opinion, could it be because it's not formed correctly? (that was said with tongue in cheek in case you can't tell.)
No. I couldn't tell without your assistance.

poetry is

Everything has a relative. The haiku in question is related to prose. M2394
mentioned so many new names writing now. She is right, or is that the
older poets here are putting out less (poetry)? I think the real poetry at
this site is hidden in these threads. Look at the Knicks, maybe poetry
ain't what it once was either.
:confused:

WickedEve said:
Sure it's good to comment on the person's work, but I made the thread for me, not the "poet." The thread has generated interesting comments. Thanks everyone.

Yes, I know, Eve. Most of the time it is about you. The way you like it. The thread is a long one and the poem itself has only been brought up a few times. :rolleyes:

Christina O. Leigh said:
Yes, I know, Eve. Most of the time it is about you. The way you like it. The thread is a long one and the poem itself has only been brought up a few times. :rolleyes:
I don't know you, do I?
I haven't posted many threads in the past year. Sometimes I don't post on the board for days or weeks. I don't think "it is about you" comment makes sense. I'm not sure what problem you have me--since we hardly know each other.

sandspike said:
Everything has a relative. The haiku in question is related to prose. M2394
mentioned so many new names writing now. She is right, or is that the
older poets here are putting out less (poetry)? I think the real poetry at
this site is hidden in these threads. Look at the Knicks, maybe poetry
ain't what it once was either.
:confused:

hey sandspike :)

I LOVE The way you shortened my name..I have a nick now ;)

I think I agree with you about the "real" poetry being hidden in the threads here. Iam still making my way through Neo's 30/30 thread and there are some gems in there, excellent work. I think maybe some of the more experienced poets here are submitting elsewhere. I saw a comment eve made about us working too hard on what we submit here. I agree with her, and I am NOT striving to make it to the FAVORITEST list in ANY category..that hurt my brain to type it, lol

BUT I would bet that BDSM haiku will get there some day if its not already

:heart:

marrria

Last edited:
WickedEve said:
I don't know you, do I?
I haven't posted many threads in the past year. Sometimes I don't post on the board for days or weeks. I don't think "it is about you" comment makes sense. I'm not sure what problem you have me--since we hardly know each other.

Oh, gimmie a break, Eve. You know exactly who I am. You posted in a thread when I said my other Lit name and you also pmed me several times. Do you think me and sal trade pics or what? They've always had the same face. If I wanted to hide, I'd do it another way. :rolleyes:

And I only have 9 other names. I just counted them in my notebook. It's better than your 30 something. Maybe you have erraticus behavoritis too. Whatever fits the mood, you know. ;)

Christina O. Leigh said:
Oh, gimmie a break, Eve. You know exactly who I am. You posted in a thread when I said my other Lit name and you also pmed me several times. Do you think me and sal trade pics or what? They've always had the same face. If I wanted to hide, I'd do it another way. :rolleyes:

And I only have 9 other names. I just counted them in my notebook. It's better than your 30 something. Maybe you have erraticus behavoritis too. Whatever fits the mood, you know. ;)
Sal? Saldne?

Christina O. Leigh said:
You need to go blonde. You fit it better than me.
I didn't recognize the av.
What's with the attitude toward me? If this is saldne... the same woman I PMed when your daughter was sick... never mind. :(

Christina O. Leigh said:

At the risk of being accused of defending Eve (which I would anyway, so feel free to accuse me, lol), I think she posted the poem at all to raise the larger issue. Her question wasn't about the specific poem, but rather about what it may represent in terms of how we define poetry. I don't see how deconstructing that particular poem would address that.

Would it have been better to just say something like "I read this poem that is called a haiku, but doesn't follow the form, etc., and that raises an issue for me...."? Yes, it would be more discreet and considerate of the poet, but not having a specific example would also make it harder for Eve to explain exactly what she means.

I can't imagine she intended to insult the poet--she doesn't do that. And has this forum become so oversensitive that one can't ever quote a poem--a poem that has been submitted for comments anyway--as an example of something less than great? I know there are people here who take anything less than "your poem is brilliant" as a personal affront but if you submit a poem, you have to accept that not everyone will have nice things to say about it. We're all grownups here and if someone can't handle criticism, they shouldn't submit poems. It comes with the territory.

And I say that respectfully. I don't believe in bashing poems. You know I think feedback should be supportive, but sometimes supportive does not necessarily mean praise.

WickedEve said:
I didn't recognize the av.
What's with the attitude toward me? If this is saldne... the same woman I PMed when your daughter was sick... never mind. :(

A lot of people's kids are sick, Eve. We found this out, didn't we? Am I supposed to like how the poetry forum is run just because we had a moment of closeness and support? I don't hate anybody here. I just stated my opinion. I don't comment on poems anymore but I think if you're going to discuss a poet on the forum, you should let the poet know. When I first came to Lit, I never knew about the forum. You were the first to tell me when you commented on one of my poems. Why not do the same with this other person instead of backbiting?

Angeline said:
At the risk of being accused of defending Eve (which I would anyway, so feel free to accuse me, lol), I think she posted the poem at all to raise the larger issue. Her question wasn't about the specific poem, but rather about what it may represent in terms of how we define poetry. I don't see how deconstructing that particular poem would address that.

Would it have been better to just say something like "I read this poem that is called a haiku, but doesn't follow the form, etc., and that raises an issue for me...."? Yes, it would be more discreet and considerate of the poet, but not having a specific example would also make it harder for Eve to explain exactly what she means.

I can't imagine she intended to insult the poet--she doesn't do that. And has this forum become so oversensitive that one can't ever quote a poem--a poem that has been submitted for comments anyway--as an example of something less than great? I know there are people here who take anything less than "your poem is brilliant" as a personal affront but if you submit a poem, you have to accept that not everyone will have nice things to say about it. We're all grownups here and if someone can't handle criticism, they shouldn't submit poems. It comes with the territory.

And I say that respectfully. I don't believe in bashing poems. You know I think feedback should be supportive, but sometimes supportive does not necessarily mean praise.

I think we've already been down this road, Ange. I came from fanstory which is an excellent site for honest critique. It's harsh in a sense but most people say something positive at the end of their review. I think it should be done here as well. Over and out on that subject.

Christina O. Leigh said:
I think we've already been down this road, Ange. I came from fanstory which is an excellent site for honest critique. It's harsh in a sense but most people say something positive at the end of their review. I think it should be done here as well. Over and out on that subject.

Ok. I don't think it was backbiting (certainly not intentional), but I won't beat a dead horse. :)

Christina O. Leigh said:
Am I supposed to like how the poetry forum is run just because we had a moment of closeness and support?

Yes, I know, Eve. Most of the time it is about you. The way you like it.

You need to go blonde. You fit it better than me.
Like how it's run or not. We have a close moment or not. It's not about that. You had something to shitty to say about me personally. I have a problem with that. I also have more important things to deal with today, and you certainly aren't one of them. :)

Christina O. Leigh said:
I came from fanstory which is an excellent site for honest critique. It's harsh in a sense but most people say something positive at the end of their review. I think it should be done here as well

then why did you leave it?

Your work isn't impressive enough to allow you to waltz in here and be a bitch

Harsh but honest
Hope you appreciate it

You have a problem with Eve then pm her, or PM the site creators
Most people aren't going to lie around and let you talk like this to anyone much less Eve.
Get over yourself

WickedEve said:
Like how it's run or not. We have a close moment or not. It's not about that. You had something to shitty to say about me personally. I have a problem with that. I also have more important things to deal with today, and you certainly aren't one of them. :)

A little sarcasm won't hurt ya. You can dish it out but obviously you can't take it. It's a bitch, I know.

Tathagata said:
then why did you leave it?

Your work isn't impressive enough to allow you to waltz in here and be a bitch

Harsh but honest
Hope you appreciate it

You have a problem with Eve then pm her, or PM the site creators
Most people aren't going to lie around and let you talk like this to anyone much less Eve.
Get over yourself

Just like you Tath - you took your work down. Why? Because you're published or either chicken shit. I'm published more places than one now and this place is a joke in a half. I'll speak my mind any fucking time I like.

And yup, I'm back on fanstory where people are real and want to get noticed and published. Will I get over myself? Nope. I'm tits. :cool:

Now, go back to myspace and chat with the youngsters.

~

I had too much scotch last night for bickering :cool: so I will just post this one here and then I am off to bed again...I commented on the "haiku" in question and got a responce from the author last night here it is:

i realize that it is 5 7 5 but if you hold me to that ,you must hold
the zen mountain crowd here to the same standard. also the form has
changed in the past 20 years, especially with the influence of the
Americans. now a haiku is viewed broadly as three lines, of images that have a
internal relation so that the insight of the zen moment is illuminated.
thanks for your comment.
i would love to disuse the history, evolution and development of
haiku poetry with you. it is a wonderful form of expression, and it is so
nice to see some one that has a grasp of the form and structure.
its nice to know that ther are well read people on this site.

thank you so much. i love the feedback.

Personally, I think this is a load of crap spewed by another typical American that takes what they want and then tramps rough shod all over another cultures structured art <for god's sake, look what we did to espresso!>...part of the beauty of Haiku and it's various forms, as Blue pointed out eariler is that it is a structure and in that structure is essence of the art...it is an appreciation for the detail of the craftsmanship that should be sought.

canned version: If you are going to write Haiku, write fucking haiku not something else and try to pass it off as the true form. Label it as what it is Americanized pop culture vomit.

<grumble & rant, I am going back to bed now.>

Christina O. Leigh said:
Just like you Tath - you took your work down. Why? Because you're published or either chicken shit. I'm published more places than one now and this place is a joke in a half. I'll speak my mind any fucking time I like.

And yup, I'm back on fanstory where people are real and want to get noticed and published. Will I get over myself? Nope. I'm tits. :cool:

Now, go back to myspace and chat with the youngsters.

wow more places than one??
can I have your autograph?

as for speaking your mind it shouldn't take you more than a few sentences

Top O' The Mornin to ya

see exhibit A

Eve is a strong girl,
I do not think she needs
her friends
to defend her
by insulting someone
who spoke their mind.
And we don't need to go here: