Favorite movie quotes

We don't want your forgiveness. We won't make excuses. We're not gonna blame you, even if you are an accessory... But we will not except your natural order. We didn't come for absolution, we didn't ask to be redeemed. But isn't how it is, every goddamn time... Your prayers are always answered, in the order they're received...

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual". I myself am strange and unusual.

From Gladiator
To Commodus:
"The time for honoring yourself will soon end...Highness."

To hi fellow Gladiators:
"Strength and honor. "

From Josie Wales:
"There's another saying Senator, 'Don't miss down my back and tell me it's raining'."

From Ten Bears:
"It's sad that our governments are chiefed by double tongues."

Spock: Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh . . .
Kirk: The needs of the few.
Spock: Or the one.

Haskell Moore: And for what? For what? No matter what you do it will never amount to anything more than a single drop in a limitless ocean.

Adam Ewing: What is an ocean but a multitude of drops?

"Scotty, what's left?"

Kirk, after a battle encounter in "Wrath of Khan."

This is one of my favorite exchanges in all of the Marvel movies, with possibly my favorite single sentence from the franchise.

Ultron: Stark asked for a savior and settled for a slave.

Vision: I suppose we're both disappointments.

Ultron: [laughs] I suppose we are.

Vision: Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings. I think you missed that.

Ultron: They're doomed!

Vision: Yes... but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts. It is a privilege to be among them.

Ultron: You're unbelievably naïve.

Vision: Well, I was born yesterday.

It's tied with another Vision one, which is, admittedly, a rephrasing of a sentiment that's been around for a while.

"But what is grief, but love persevering?"

And old Danny fell, round and round and round and round, like a penny whirligig. Twenty thousand miles! It took him half an hour to fall before he struck the rocks. Peachy, in The Man Who Would Be King, 1975

Philip Marlowe: [opening lines] This past spring was the first that I felt tired and realized I was growing old. Maybe it was the rotten weather we'd had in L.A. Maybe the rotten cases I'd had. Mostly chasing a few missing husbands and then chasing their wives once I found them, in order to get paid. Or maybe it was just the plain fact that I am tired and growing old.

Farewell My Lovely 1975

I have a huge love for dopey movies and the Planet of the Apes franchise, especially the original six, the last five could be considered dopey I guess. Anyways this is from Without a Clue starring Michael Cane as a fairly stupid Sherlock Holmes and Ben Kinsley as a super genius Dr. Watson.

Holmes as Watson is walking around staring at the ground - er, what are we looking for?
Watson - footprints
Holmes - oh, well tell me if I find any.

There are so many hysterical lines from this gem.

Having been a soldier this one from "Saving Private Ryan" makes me smile 'cause been there, done that as an enlisted man:

Private Jackson: Sir... I have an opinion on this matter.

Captain Miller: Well, by all means, share it with the squad.

Private Jackson: Well, from my way of thinking, sir, this entire mission is a serious misallocation of valuable military resources.

Captain Miller: Yeah. Go on.

Private Jackson: Well, it seems to me, sir, that God gave me a special gift, made me a fine instrument of warfare.

Captain Miller: Reiben, pay attention. Now, this is the way to gripe. Continue, Jackson.

Private Jackson: Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.

Private Reiben: Oh, that's brilliant, bumpkin. Hey, so, Captain, what about you? I mean, you don't gripe at all?

Captain Miller: I don't gripe to *you*, Reiben. I'm a captain. There's a chain of command. Gripes go up, not down. Always up. You gripe to me, I gripe to my superior officer, so on, so on, and so on. I don't gripe to you. I don't gripe in front of you. You should know that as a Ranger.

Private Reiben: I'm sorry, sir, but uh... let's say you weren't a captain, or maybe I was a major. What would you say then?

Captain Miller: Well, in that case... I'd say, "This is an excellent mission, sir, with an extremely valuable objective, sir, worthy of my best efforts, sir. Moreover... I feel heartfelt sorrow for the mother of Private James Ryan and am willing to lay down my life and the lives of my men - especially you, Reiben - to ease her suffering."

Mellish: [chuckles] He's good.

Private Caparzo: I love him.
[they make mocking kissy-faces at each other]

Comshaw

And then we made love. It was great. That's it. I'm not going to go into all that other stuff, you know, the who did what to whom stuff. You know that song, "Behind Closed Doors," by Charlie Rich? It's one of my favorite songs. I can say we had a good time. I can say that.

“Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.” — Grandpa the Princess Bride

It may not be my most favorite quote but I'm overly fond of the classic monologue:

Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant and vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! [slashes a large V through a propaganda poster] The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. [giggles] Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me 'V'.

and I'm thinking it would be a fun challenge to write a story where every single one of these words is used, in a proper context (i.e., not arbitrarily, like a citation), and see how many readers catch this.

Wilma Dean: [voiceover] Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower, we will grieve not; rather find strength in what remains behind. (Splender in the Grass, 1961)
This gets sampled by one of my favorite obscure (I think?) bands, Single Gun Theory.

They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"

“- Wilson: Who's Harvey?
- Miss Kelly: A white rabbit, six feet tall.
- Wilson: Six feet?
- Elwood P. Dowd: Six feet three and a half inches. Now let's stick to the facts.”

Harvey

Comshaw

They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"
One of my all time favorites.

Hi. I'm, uh, I'm a pet psychiatrist. I sell couch insurance. Mm-hmm, and I - and I test-market positive thinking. I lead a weekend men's group, we specialize in ritual killings. Yeah, you look great! God, yeah! Hi, how are you? Hi, how are you? Hi, I'm Martin Blank, you remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, but I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough.

Back