Favorite movie quotes

Yentl's Father: [sees her disappointment] Go on, get the book.
Yentl: Thank you, papa!
Yentl's Father: The shutters, darling.
Yentl: We don't have to hide my studying from God, then why the neighbors?
Yentl's Father: Why? Because I trust God will understand. I'm not so sure about the neighbors.

Yentil 1983

It's shite being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low! The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash, that was shat into civilisation! Some people hate the English, I don't! They're just wankers! We, on the other hand, are colonised by wankers! Can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by! We're ruled by effete assholes! It's a shite state of affairs to be in Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

Mark Renton, Trainspotting.

Great movie. Dark as hell, but great.

Egon : Vigo the Carpathian. Born 1505, died 1610.

Peter Venkman : 105 years old, he hung in there, didn't he?

Ray : He didn't die of old age, either. He was poisoned, stabbed, shot, hung, stretched, disembowled, drawn and quartered.

Peter Venkman : Ouch.

Winston : Guess he wasn't too popular at the end, huh?

Egon : No, not exactly a man of the people. Also known as Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised, and Vigo the Unholy.

Peter Venkman : Wasn't he also Vigo the Butch?

Ray : And dig this, there was a prophecy. Just before his head died, his last words were "Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back."

Like a lot of these, the quote's only okay. But the delivery! Man, those guys were great.

From Devil In A Blue Dress, with Denzel Washington as Easy Rawlins and Don Cheadle as Mouse.

Mouse: You just said don't shoot him, right? Well I didn't, I just... I choked him.

Easy, look- if you ain't want him killed, why'd you leave him with me?

If you had read any of the Easy Rawlins books by Walter Mosley, you know that Mouse was an small, but insanely lethal man who killed at the drop of a hat. Easy was the only one who could keep him somewhat under control. I have rarely seen a line of dialog that captured a character's personality so well.

Egon : Vigo the Carpathian. Born 1505, died 1610.

Peter Venkman : 105 years old, he hung in there, didn't he?

Ray : He didn't die of old age, either. He was poisoned, stabbed, shot, hung, stretched, disembowled, drawn and quartered.

Peter Venkman : Ouch.

Winston : Guess he wasn't too popular at the end, huh?

Egon : No, not exactly a man of the people. Also known as Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised, and Vigo the Unholy.

Peter Venkman : Wasn't he also Vigo the Butch?

Ray : And dig this, there was a prophecy. Just before his head died, his last words were "Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back."

Like a lot of these, the quote's only okay. But the delivery! Man, those guys were great.
Viggy, Viggy, Viggy, you have been a bad monkey!

"...her insides was a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."

H.I. in Raising Arizona, explaining why his wife couldn't have children.

Donny: Are these the Nazis, Walter?

Walter: No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

From The Big Lebowski. Walter's response always get me.

We're mixing our lives together, Maily, and we'll never be able to unmix them again, and we'll never want to. I take you for what you are, and all that you are, and mix you with all of me, and I don't hold back nothing. When you're cold, and hungry, and afraid, so am I. I'm going to stay with you all that I can, take the best care of you that I can, and love you 'til I die.
You wear a peace button on your jacket, and you write “born to kill” on your helmet? Is that supposed to be some kind of sick joke private?

You wear a peace button on your jacket, and you write “born to kill” on your helmet? Is that supposed to be some kind of sick joke private?

I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir.

Great quote but different movies.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: Sure. Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat isn't really crazy, so I can't ground him.
Yossarian: Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: You got it, that's Catch-22.
Yossarian: Whoo... That's some catch, that Catch-22.
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka: It's the best there is.

Sir, the truth is, I talk to God all the time, and, no offense, but He never mentioned you.

"I carried a watermelon.." I was actually at Trader Joe's the other day and decided to return my watermelon then said to the cute checkout guy... "i carried a watermelon " and asked him is he knew the movie.. right in that moment hungry eyes came on in the store ! We cracked up! Serendipity🤩

"Yes. Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her, so much - it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing..."

Mrs. White, Clue

Here's a good one for a hot summer day like today:

"You know, when it's hot like this, you know what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox."

Marilyn Monroe, The Seven Year Itch

Laura, 1944 Shelby Carpenter (Vincent Price) "I can afford a blemish on my character, but not on my clothes."

The Postman Always Rings Twice Frank Chambers (John Garfield) "With my brains and your looks, we could go places."

Body Heat 1981 Ned Racine (William Hurt) and Matty Walker (Kathleen Turner)
Ned: "Maybe you shouldn’t dress like that."
Matty: "This is a blouse and skirt. I don’t know what you’re talking about."
Ned: "You shouldn’t wear that body."

"We ain't even been to The Bronx before."

Supposedly Sol Yurick wrote The Warriors novel because he found West Side Story unrealistic. The movie version of his book (1979) is absurd in it's own way, but the cast seems to take it seriously and the location filming, graffiti and all, almost redeems it. Michael Beck and Deborah Van Valkenburgh were playing teenagers, I think, but both were in their twenties during filming. That's hardly unusual when portraying "youth" in films.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/62/f8/9462f8612aa91b20cc7150b6ae578cb8.jpg

"Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now."

- Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest

Here's a good one for a hot summer day like today:

"You know, when it's hot like this, you know what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox."

Marilyn Monroe, The Seven Year Itch
I always thought that the Monroe character knows exactly what she is doing and enjoys teasing the hell out of Richard Sherman. He's almost too naive (despite his age) to realize it.

"We ain't even been to The Bronx before."

Supposedly Sol Yurick wrote The Warriors novel because he found West Side Story unrealistic. The movie version of his book (1979) is absurd in it's own way, but the cast seems to take it seriously and the location filming, graffiti and all, almost redeems it. Michael Beck and Deborah Van Valkenburgh were playing teenagers, I think, but both were in their twenties during filming. That's hardly unusual when portraying "youth" in films.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/62/f8/9462f8612aa91b20cc7150b6ae578cb8.jpg
The Rockstar Warriors video game is pretty fun also.

Last edited:
My Cousin Vinny 1992

Vinny Gambini: It is possible that the two utes...
Judge Chamberlain Haller: ...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?
Vinny Gambini: Uh... what word?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Two what?
Vinny Gambini: What?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Uh... did you say "utes"?
Vinny Gambini: Yeah, two utes.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a ute?
Vinny Gambini: Oh, excuse me, Your Honor...
Vinny Gambini: two YOUTHS.

Back