Favorite movie quotes

"Look, mother, I want to go to work in one hour. We are the Pros from Dover and we figure to crack this kid's chest and get out to golf course before it gets dark. So you go find the gas-passer and you have him pre-medicate this patient. Then bring me the latest pictures on him. The ones we saw must be 48 hours old by now. Then call the kitchen and have them rustle us up some lunch. Ham and eggs will be all right, steak would be even better. And then give me at least ONE nurse who knows how to work in close without getting her tits in my way."
Trapper John McIntyre

Comshaw

"Look, mother, I want to go to work in one hour. We are the Pros from Dover and we figure to crack this kid's chest and get out to golf course before it gets dark. So you go find the gas-passer and you have him pre-medicate this patient. Then bring me the latest pictures on him. The ones we saw must be 48 hours old by now. Then call the kitchen and have them rustle us up some lunch. Ham and eggs will be all right, steak would be even better. And then give me at least ONE nurse who knows how to work in close without getting her tits in my way."
Trapper John McIntyre

Comshaw
MASH!

From one of my favorite movies that sends chills up my spine every time I watch it: The Ghost and the Darkness

Charles Remington: "I'm a very considerate man. My mother taught me that. What the hell you laughing about? You don't think I'm considerate?"
Samuel: "I don't believe you had a mother.”

"We have an expression in prize fighting: 'Everyone has a plan until they've been hit'. Well my friend, you've just been hit. The getting up is up to you."
Charles Remington

Col. John Henery Patterson talking to his wife:“Darling... you know how God invented liquor so the Irish wouldn't rule the world. Well, I think he may have invented being stubborn so we can be the best at something.”

Samuel: [narrating] The men called them the Ghost and the Darkness. There were two of them, and that had never happened before because man-eaters are always alone. They owned the night but they also attacked in daylight. Alone or together. Without fear or reason. Some thought they were not lions at all, but the spirits of dead medicine men come back to spread madness. Or they were the devil sent to stop the white man from owning the world. I believed this... that they were evil. What better ground for evil to walk than Tsavo? Because this is what the word Tsavo means; "a place of slaughter".

Comshaw

Patterson was a real person. Rimington wasn't. He was added for a dramatic effect. He never says he is one of the Rimington, but it is implied in the line...

Charles Remington: [melancholy] My life was shaped because someone invented gunpowder, and that's what took me around the world. But the memory that I wanted, that was the family that I lost.

I read that the writers of Dirty Harry wrote the screenplay with John Wayne in mind for the leading role.

Dirty Harry 1971

Bressler: Put in for overtime.
Harry Callahan: That'll be the day!

Further proof, the writers wanted John Wayne to play Harry Callahan!
I couldn't imagine John Wayne doing that role. Although, the Inspector Callahan thing was probably done a few too many times. (When was he going to get a semi-automatic already so he wouldn't have to worry about the six shoots?) Eastwood was actually better - more spontaneous somehow - playing a criminal in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

Unforgiven, 1992

"Its a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have."

"I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you done to Ned."

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Unforgiven, 1992

"Its a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have."

"I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you done to Ned."

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."
Unforgiven!

Right turn Clyde.

Patterson was a real person. Rimington wasn't. He was added for a dramatic effect. He never says he is one of the Rimington, but it is implied in the line...

Charles Remington: [melancholy] My life was shaped because someone invented gunpowder, and that's what took me around the world. But the memory that I wanted, that was the family that I lost.
I read the story of Col Patterson and the maneaters of Tsavo a very long time ago in Argosy magazine. Most of the article was from an interview with Patterson. The part I remember most was his account of the end of the fight. He ended up on the ground right next to one of the lions as it was dying. He was pretty torn up and put his foot against it to push away from it. The lion bit him through the instep of his foot. Patterson said of all the injuries he had during that encounter that was the most painful by far.

Stories of vampires, demons and other spectral and imagined horror figures are scary at times. But for one who has hiked and hunted the backcountry and faced off with bears and cougars (not that kind! real ones), this story chills my soul. A 500 lb killing machine stalking you and intent on eating you scares the crap out of me.

Another little tidbit about the real story and the movie: the ones in the movie were maned lions. The real ones were maniless males.

Thi is the real ones stuffed at the museum:
_79378346_tsavo-colour[1].jpg
Comshaw

Last edited:
First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature's rule Daniel San, not mine.

"You think you're God Almighty, but you know what you are? You're a cheap, lousy, dirty, stinkin' mug! And I'm glad what I done to you, ya hear that? I'm glad what I done!"

On The Waterfront, one of my favorites.

"Of course I'm respectable. I'm old! Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."

Chinatown.

Lord Wessex: "How is this to end?"

Queen Elizabeth: "As stories must when love's denied: with tears and a journey."

Shakespeare in Love

From Stallones Lock up and uttered by the awesome John Amos

Rule #1-Don't mess with Meissner. Rule #2, I'm Meissner.

Back