Food

me use double entendre. :eek:

In anycase so the thread won't go to far off I like jamaican food
give me a beef patty some cocoa bread and a little curried rice and I'm a happy camper.

Dr M

There is a new generation of Indian cooking emerging in UK, spiced to enhance the content of the meal rather than mask.

Favourites of mine include Rami in North Finchley, strictly vegetarian, Soho Spice, naturally in Soho and a lean to shack in Walthamstow that cooks superbly.

In Hindu culture, the recent embelishment of shrines to the goddess Sita elevates her to the ‘status of kitchen goddess’; the concept is extended to the kitchen becoming a ‘worshipping place’ within the Hindu home. There is possibly an overlap between the shift in 'food status' and the UK 'worship' of all programmes culinary that is manifesting itself in the new wave Indian restaurants making their appearance in and around London.

Will's

Wills said:
Dr M

There is a new generation of Indian cooking emerging in UK, spiced to enhance the content of the meal rather than mask.

Favourites of mine include Rami in North Finchley, strictly vegetarian, Soho Spice, naturally in Soho and a lean to shack in Walthamstow that cooks superbly.
Will's

It's Indian t/a tonight with friends. I know Rami, and Soho Spice well. Also you missed the best -- A Sikh friend turned me on to the LAhore Kebab house in Whitechapel.

For veggies, try Diwana's Bhel Puri house in Euston. Sokoni's in Wembley and Edgware are great, cheap -- the Burger King of Bhel Puri houses.

Gotta try that place in Walthamsow!

Hey Joe

Walthamstow - don't take the underpass off the M11 to Blackwall Tunnel. Get on the old road, its at the traffic lights by the common, next to the Pub. Go early, it's tiny.

I was in Rami last Sunday, must have missed you!

I'll try the Lahore Kebab House when I'm next back in London, Brick Lane?

Will's

destinie21 said:
Anything can be erotic (provided that you have the right kind of serving dish)
Except soup, tuna casserole, and refried rice with beans. :D

Now Polish sausage on the other hand...;)

Tales from a Country House Hotel.

This is an occassional series published in Satire and Humour.

This extract is from the forthcoming episode and celebrates erotic food.

Mama entered into the spirit of things as only she knows how. Apart from here extraordinary versatility in all things sexual, Mama had over many years extended her skills into the culinary arena. In fact she is so widely respected for her skills with erotic morsels of food that books have been written immortalising her talent. Of course, these books can not be purchased ‘over the counter’ due to the lavish illustrations but are available through our web site.

One of Mama’s most celebrate concoctions is Virgins Surprise, tiny spears of asparagus wrapped in wild Scottish smoked salmon resting on a truffle scented mousse. Many a young lady has relaxed her knees just at the merest taste.

Another old favourite is Priests Dilemma. A croustade topped with a piped ring of smoked salmon pate centred with Beluga caviar, I am told dipping the tongue into the salty succulence of the caviar and the contrast with the silky smoothness of the pate can do wonders for a flagging libido.

Will's

hm food - don't GET me started Doc! My parents have owned a restaurant for - well - young gal - as french, but sans cornon bleu trained chef . . . jesus - ate escargot at what 5? Knew what tournados and carpaccio were by 7 . . . still ever experimineting with garum masala . . . different sushi manouvres, but almost there! :) Hungarian, german, chinese and spanish - I'm THERE - but STILL (tatelou and pops) think the brit cooking is always overcooked! :p

I have to say that I've never really encountered the stodgy English food that continental Europeans always complain about. I personally prefer my broccoli and cauliflower cooked to squishiness, rather than the al dente stuff that others prefer, but apart from that, I've never had a problem with it.

Maybe cause I grew up with it?

The Earl

Two favorites really.

I can live on Italian food for the rest of my life. Which would be very short, courtesy of too many pasta. :D

The other favorite is Indonesian food. Like Indian to the English, is Indonesian to the Dutch. Most restaurants are a mix of Indonesian and Chinese, but a lot of the Chinese food is adapted and "contaminated" with Indonesian influences. Indonesian food stayed a lot closer to its origines, as I found out in Indonesia. :D

Nothing wrong with the French cooking either, and don't forget Hungarian or Slovenic. Greek food is nice. And I do enjoy a good couscous as well.

Ok, I confess: I love eating.

:devil:

LOL - YES - so TOTALLY BRIT! I have relatives I've had to pain thru! LOL - enjoy it sweetie til you get the real DEAL!

TheEarl said:
I have to say that I've never really encountered the stodgy English food that continental Europeans always complain about. I personally prefer my broccoli and cauliflower cooked to squishiness, rather than the al dente stuff that others prefer, but apart from that, I've never had a problem with it.

Maybe cause I grew up with it?

The Earl

But I'm an accomplished cook of Italian, Australian and French food as well. as eating at some very good restaurants around the globe. I love them all, so it's not a case of being deprived. I think I'm just strange :D.

The Earl

Black Tulip said:
Two favorites really.

I can live on Italian food for the rest of my life. Which would be very short, courtesy of too many pasta. :D

The other favorite is Indonesian food. Like Indian to the English, is Indonesian to the Dutch. Most restaurants are a mix of Indonesian and Chinese, but a lot of the Chinese food is adapted and "contaminated" with Indonesian influences. Indonesian food stayed a lot closer to its origines, as I found out in Indonesia. :D

Nothing wrong with the French cooking either, and don't forget Hungarian or Slovenic. Greek food is nice. And I do enjoy a good couscous as well.

Ok, I confess: I love eating.

:devil:

Sorry - food couture here - Italian is split in two - southern and northern -specify dear. Pasta is not specifically Italian - jesus - know way too much for this thread. Indonesia owned by the Brits and Dutch at points in history . . . food history . . . my Gran taught me lots in the hungarian realm - but lol - she's old now . . . forgets what she's cooking, and coming from depression era? BUYS WAY too much:

Gran: come over for lunch
Us: sure
Us: whats this?
Her: Matzza balls
Us: doesn't taste like it, what did you use?
Her: I don't know, some white stuff in a container.
Us: not being rude, mmmm, are there kidney beans in this?
Her: I opened a can
(aside - opened a restaurant sized, depression era can)
DESSERT
Us: whats this
Her: health cookies
Us: looking weirdly at them. There's kidney beans in them?
Her: Well that's why they're healthy.

:rolleyes: lol - Grans, so innocently weird and sweet.

Charley: I've decided - You need to cook for me, so I can learn what you know. You sound like a superb chef.

The Earl

In San Francisco one can find, I daresay, most any cuisine worldwide: every Asian type, African, Italian (north, south, Veneziano), German, French, Fish & Chips, every Latin/So. American type, Kosher, deli, Viennese, Irish breakfasts, every American disaster, etc.

I love just about everything but American. I love any food that uses lots of garlic. O, but I just don't get sushi.

Mab., I learned to appreciate Indian way back in Detroit, can't believe it's new to Chicago.

Perdita

!Anytime my friend . . .cooking is almost as easy as I am :) ALMOST

TheEarl said:
Charley: I've decided - You need to cook for me, so I can learn what you know. You sound like a superb chef.

The Earl

This thread made me hungry.
Imagine that.

Me, I'm a simple kind of guy. I like my food fresh and basic. Still not quite dead mackerel straight out of the sea, foil grilled with sea salt and wild mint from the nearest ditch. Mashed potatoes with chives, caraway, and red onion. Served with an almost frozen can of beer.

Right now, I'd rather have that than get laid.

#L

What's with cold beer? What do you taste when you drink it?

Contrary to popular belief English beer isn't served at room temperature (not anywhere I drink anyway) but it is never ice cold.

Maybe you mean lager. Which in my opinion should be served frozen solid and left to melt and drain down the sink immediately.

Or should this be on the pissed thread?

Gauche

gauchecritic said:
What's with cold beer? What do you taste when you drink it?
Beer.

But cold.

I'll leave the fine deatils to the connoisseurs.

#L

Liar said:
Beer.

But cold.

I'll leave the fine deatils to the connoisseurs.

#L

I wish I liked beer. Not liking beer is like not being able to drive a stick-shift. Yes, YES! I admit it.

When I taste beer, cold or not, I taste brownish yeast.

shereads said:
I wish I liked beer. Not liking beer is like not being able to drive a stick-shift. Yes, YES! I admit it.

When I taste beer, cold or not, I taste brownish yeast.

No problems with a stick-shift. :D

Beer? Yuck, yuck and another yuck! :p

Black Tulip said:

One of the things I must try before I die is the riijstaffel--don't know how to spell it, but I mean the "rice table": the Dutch/Indonesian smorgasbord. There's no place around here that does them, and I know because I've looked.

When I was in high school I came down with mononucleosis (do kids still get that?) It was weird because you have an appetite until food is set down in front of you and then you can't even look at it. I spent my time at home devouring the Time-Life "Foods of the World" cookbooks (what pictures! what descriptions!) and drooling, then sucking down some canned soup and swearing that one day it would be different.

My latest passion is cheese. We've taken to ending big family meals with tawny port, nuts, cheese and fruit, like they did in the 18th century. It may sound dumb, but good cheese is terribly sensual and complex. The smoothness or sharpness set against the crisp freshness of the fruit is just wonderful. Plus it impresses your guests and makes your table look like a still-life. :D

---dr.M.

Last edited:
Double post.

That's what happens, when I get dazed by images of food.

More, more, more. :D

Last edited:
Close enough Doc: rijsttafel. That is absolutely to die for.
Sweet and sharp together, with a bit of rice to cool down.

Did you know there is a Dutch variety as well? Called the Captain's table. Principle is the same, lots of meats with different spices, together with sweet and sour sidedishes. Instead of rice though, you have brown beans.

Now, I'm drooling again.
Time to go hunting for a nice piece of cheese. Melting on your tongue, releasing exquisite flavors. Who said food is mundane?

Stillife like this?

Attachments

• dijck.jpg
    dijck.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 9
Back