Food

Black Tulip said:
Time to go hunting for a nice piece of cheese. Melting on your tongue, releasing exquisite flavors. Who said food is mundane?

Gouda and a nice, crunchy apple, some water crackers and a glass of port. Some triple-cream Brie and a juicy pear.

I'm with you!

---dr.M.

Warning to new viewers of this thread: Just clicking on the posts in here will immediately make you gain 3 pounds (per post, especially shereads' descriptions of Southern cooking).

gauchecritic said:

Maybe you mean lager. Which in my opinion should be served frozen solid and left to melt and drain down the sink immediately.

Or should this be on the pissed thread?

There is no doubt that American beer is the worst swill in the world, bar none: tasteless, bodyless and insipid. It's made to be as light and transparent as possible so people will drink a lot without noticing it, like carbonated water.

It just amazes me that you can go to Outer Mongolia and get a better beer than you can in the states.

---dr.M.

Shipboard

I went to Australia by ship, First Class, on the Willem Ruys the then flagship of Konigklikke Rotterdamsche Lloyd.

The cusine was a Dutch version of Cordon Bleu. The menus, which I still have, were in Dutch and the Dutch version of Restaurant French (which isn't the same as the English version).

Ordering was an adventure for the first few days. I might get a plate with meat and no vegetables, or a dish with vegetables and additional vegetables. Asking the waiter, who spoke perfect English, might have been the sensible idea except that all the dining room staff were in their final year of a course to become hotel managers and they didn't understand the Chef's French either. No Frenchman would have.

The food was wonderful. There was too much choice and it was too exotic. When we reached Singapore I had a breakfast ashore of Sausages, Baked Beans and Mashed Potato just to get a basic taste. We had tea at Raffles at 4pm. The evening meal was Singapore food.

While crossing the Australian Bight I had Kangaroo steak - not good and the only failure in the five weeks of great eating.

There were fourteen possible courses for breakfast on the Willem Ruys. Even tourist class had seven possible courses.

The Willem Ruys became the Achille Lauro and eventually sunk. I mourned the change of ownership and its later misfortune. I still am thankful for the experience on the Willem Ruys.

Og

PS. I think the best 'foodie' film is Japanese - Tampopo. It can be described as 'A Noodle Trucker Western set in Japan'. The scene with the raw egg is compelling. See it if you can but NOT on an empty stomach.

I was just reminded that Persian food is a favorite. I have Iranian friends, sisters, who make the most exquisitely exotic rice dishes I've ever had. Persian rice is very light with long kernals. There is one made with a dried fruit that only comes from Iran. O gawd, I want some, now!

Perdita

Not just apples - pears, melons, peaches, avocado, mango, nuts, berries...

...and the cheese...goat cheese, sheep cheese, moldy cheese, runny cheese, hard cheese...

I'm a cheese nut and get a cheesy grin when I see nuts ;)

Originally posted by Lime
BUT DON"T FORGET DESERT!!!
Cheesecake
Creme Brulee
Chocolate Souffle

Heading for the kitchen,
Lime [/B]

and my own creations:

tripple chocolate pate' : white, milk, dark chocolate layered and dribbled with coffee cream or orange, GM sauce, a dollup of whip cream and with kahlua, or a dollup with orange zest - depends.

white chocolate cheesecake with an oreo/macadameia crust, topped with toasted coconut and dried cranbeeries.

Too bad I don't eat dessert though.

well THAT kind of dessert - LOL - I like sweeter things my friend!

What about comfort food, though? We've talked about food that is luscious and rich and exotic and unusual. What kind of food do you look for when you're feeling let down or verging on the flu?

I like a chicken and rice porridge, the Filipino version. It has a lot of ginger, garlic and chives in it so there must be a reason my body craves it. The Chinese version that I've had in Hong Kong and Singapore is blander and has no hint of the ginger, garlic or chives.

Hi Mia. For comfort I like puddings and atole, a Mexican drink that tastes like rice pudding with cinnamon. When sick either wanton soup or avgolemeno, a Greek chicken and rice soup with lemon; and Cinzano Bianco with lots of lemon.

Perdita

Lots of vitamin C = lemons and oranges ring the bells of St. Clements - or have I got my 1984 citation wrong?

perdita said:
Hi Mia. For comfort I like puddings and atole, a Mexican drink that tastes like rice pudding with cinnamon. When sick either wanton soup or avgolemeno, a Greek chicken and rice soup with lemon; and Cinzano Bianco with lots of lemon.

Perdita

Hi perdita, I've had that drink at a Mexican friend's house. It was strange because I had it just that once, but I can see how cinnamon would be comforting. Wonton soup, yes!

SummerMorning said:
Lots of vitamin C = lemons and oranges ring the bells of St. Clements - or have I got my 1984 citation wrong?

I'm not sure what that citation is :confused:

Another food that I can rely on for upliftment is...

C H O C O L A T E ! ! ! ! !

I've even tried plain chocolate without sugar and it's actually pretty sexy. I'm going to make chocolate covered prawns next week, to experiment. :) I didn't make up the recipe, but bought a cookbook because of that recipe!

I just got of the scale and saw I had lost some weight. Then I go here and now I just have impossible cravings for food! Argh! :p

During my time in London I got to love Indian food (that's what happens when your first bf is Indian). I've only been to one Indian restaurant in Gothenburg, but it wasn't anything close to the ones in London. And an Indian classmate during my last year in London was awesome at cooking!

What I loved about London was the variety in food. Sigh, I miss the Indian food, China town and sushi. Ok, I admit it. I miss Nando's chicken too. ;)

Otherwise I do love the Thai kitchen. Actually any Asian food will do for me, but the Thai and Indian kitchen is top. Probably because I enjoy spicy food. :) My mom does the best food!:heart:
/LP

SummerMorning said:

Well, kind of.

Oranges and lemons...

:)

Oh my god. According to my newspaper, Miami is undergoing a Gelato Explosion.

Send help.

MercyMia said:
What about comfort food, though? We've talked about food that is luscious and rich and exotic and unusual. What kind of food do you look for when you're feeling let down or verging on the flu?

When I'm sick, I want my mom to tuck me into bed, bring me some Archie comic books, write a note to excuse me from school, and serve me Campbells Chicken Noodle soup with saltine crackers and ginger ale.

Unfortunately, that hasn't happened for a few decades. It's not fun being sick anymore.

Hum,

I stop eating when I'm really sick. I go into hibernation till I'm well again. Just sleeping and drinking, water that is. :D

Comfort food, well ... that used to be chips, bags full. But since I started to do Atkins, I haven't had any. Almost 7 months now. Hey, it works for me.

And I can eat myself silly on all those lovely cheeses, with nuts, and grapes. [slightly drooling]

The almost slender Tulip.

:D

McKenna said:
Old Amsterdam, Maaslander, extra-sharp cheddar... basically anything aged is very tasty. With an apple, granny-smith preferably.

My first Cheese Memory: a picnic while driving through the Netherlands with my family when I was five or six, eating gouda. These days I like quadruple-creme cheeses for the benefits to my arteries, but for comfort-food nothing beats a slice of gouda or Port Salud or Stilton with warm sourdough bread.

What happens if this thread collides with the Atkins Diet thread ("Learning something new")?

:confused:

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had Cuban crackers?

They're like a high-fat version of saltines or water crackers. The supermarket kind are faux cardboard, but the ones you can buy at bakeries in Miami are made with lard and are addictive. Nature's perfect food.

:D

Also: for a good time, feed someone flan in tiny bites with a silver spoon. Watching a man's mouth wrap around a bit of creamy flan is enough to...

Nevermind.

Back