How do you feel about uncommon words?

My view, after twenty-odd years (some of them very odd) as a professional editor is that writers only use fancy words if they're more concerned with people admiring them for writing than reading what they've written.

I like to see the perfect word used. If it's uncommon, fine. I fold down the corner of the page and look it up later.

In my dotage I've taken to looking up words that I've seen many times but have just skimmed over, thinking I sort of know what they mean. Often they apply to parts of structures. Sometimes I'm surprised to see how far off my guesses were.

I wish I could remember what some of those words were so I could list them here

Well, I try to be polite. If, that is, they are polite to me. If they aren't all bets are off.
I don't mind answering questions on the finer points of the English language from readers for whom it is a second language. I will however admit to being less than pleased by the lazy readers. 'Let Me Google That For You' has been used once or twice.

My view, after twenty-odd years (some of them very odd) as a professional editor is that writers only use fancy words if they're more concerned with people admiring them for writing than reading what they've written.
I see this a LOT in older poetry, where the poet tries to include odd words and references to figures in Greek and Roman mythology. It's unreadable.

Depends on context. Sometimes the simplest word is the best word. Other times, you need something more nuanced to express the moment..

See how I slipped 'nuanced' in there like that? Impressive, right? 🤭

Last edited:
I don't go out of my way to show off vocabulary but I don't shy away from unusual words if they're appropriate for the story or the narrator. I have faith in my readers' ability to look them up and/or figure them out from context; I suspect readers who object to the vocabulary wouldn't much like the storylines anyway.

I tend to edit out any big words I might have used, because English is my second language and I tend to doubt my ability to use them right. Then again, I like to point out in these discussions that the ones complaining about too difficult words are always natives. Anyone reading in a learned language knows how to read around words they don’t know or is accustomed to looking them up if it’s important enough.

I see this a LOT in older poetry, where the poet tries to include odd words and references to figures in Greek and Roman mythology. It's unreadable.
Knowing what cultural references your readers will understand is a similar art to guessing what words they'll know.

I know I'm both old and alienated from popular American culture when people in Lit stories or forums refer to celebs. I try not to use such comparisons myself, because I know they'll age badly even if understood - though I do have one "he sprints to my bedroom like Usain Bolt on speed", which should be understandable even when no-one remembers Bolt.

Back in Milton, Keats' or Shakespeare's day, everyone knew all the Bible stories and the Greek/Roman myths, so using them as metaphors and comparisons wasn't being pretentious, but sensible. Also the only real celebs were royalty and close to them, so you really didn't want to go there...

Does anyone ever use 'sesquipedalian' outside of an example of long uncommon words, I wonder?

I like words, but using the right one for the job and explaining as needed is all part of the fun of writing. Just like when I use a foreign word or phrase and make the meaning clear from the context, I try to do the same if it's a rare word people won't know, like when my scientist characters discuss work. But sometimes it doesn't really matter - if I'm describing a fancy meeting room in the House of Lords, people don't really need to know what mullioned windows or architrave are, as long as they get the general idea of lots of wood panelling and sumptuousness.

Fancy words are one thing...
I like to see the perfect word used. If it's uncommon, fine. I fold down the corner of the page and look it up later.
... the right word is quite another.

I don't wind back my vocabulary for fear of poor comprehension. I assume a certain level of literacy in my readers, and if they're still in Grade Eight, they're most likely not my audience.

Words have their meanings, and that's what dictionaries are for.

Last edited:
Try writing in Aussie, or even True English. I gave someone the irrites by using "todger" in a story.

I did, years ago, for a "down under" event here. Holy shit, was that hard!

I had to abandon two stories, set in Aussieland, because I knew the terms wouldn't ring true. Instead, I settled on a story about Aussies doing things in America. Narrated by an American.

So no thank you. I've tried "writing in Aussie," and I'd rather not.

I honestly never give the vocabulary a second thought. I know I have quite a big vocabulary but I don’t go out of my way to show off. I’ll use the thesaurus if I think I’m being a bit repetitive but otherwise not. A lot of the time the word I’ll use depends upon how it sounds if the passage is read aloud.

I refrain from using Yiddish, German, or French words or phrases in my stories. I write obvious Jewish characters but don't let them express themselves in those terms. I also don't normally advertise that the Goldmanns are Jews. I assume people get it from the name. I may mention synagogue, but that's about as close as I get on that. I don't use German; it's harsh. I don't use French, as it might make me look snobby. I don't use words that a majority of the average readers would know most of the time. I'm a simple person, I write simple stories.

German's actually a lovely language, when it's not being exaggerated to make a Hollywood villain sound evil.
I took freshman level German twice in college. "Machen zie das fenster auf, bitte." See... That's the only thing I remember. LOL

Oh, I disagree, I speak it, and it's harsh sounding. Yiddish is as well and has a lot of things in common with German. Don't tell the Nazi's though.

Back