I'm outta here!

Maybe your situation is the best, raphy. Instead of placing you in a certain category, "Caucasian", "Indian", "Asian", you're just...
Human.

Svenska,
Personally I get a bit offended and tired of hearing Swedes go "So, where are you from?" everytime they meet me. I mean, that's an ok question after getting to know me more, but don't bring it up in the first couple of conversations! I feel like you want to define who I am, or that you're trying too hard to be interested in my - supposed- nationality.

It gets a bit old after a while, especially when I keep answering "I'm from Gbg" and they go "No, where are you REALLY from?" I mean, duh! :rolleyes: Not to mention the amount of times I've heard "where are your parents from/are you adopted?" Bloody 'ell, next time I get that question I'll ask them the same back.
In London I got the same question, but they were mostly fine with me saying I'm Swedish. There wasn't the same pushy feeling of having to give them my whole family background. Of course, occasionally I would get the even weirder question (to me at least!) "what's your ethnicity". Heck, I didn't even know what "ethnicity" was before coming to London. LOL. Still, they weren't as pushy as the Swedes and that was a relief. They saw me as a Swede primarily.

/LP

Well if I were to meet you potion, and with reference to my earlier thoughts, my question would be: Innuit or Innu ain't an eskimo?

But then, I always go for the blank stare response.

Gauche

gauchecritic said:
Innuit or Innu ain't an eskimo?
Gauchehombre, you have out-quazied Quaz. That's awful, I have to clear my head now.

Perdita :cool:

Lovepotion69 said:
It gets a bit old after a while, especially when I keep answering "I'm from Gbg" and they go "No, where are you REALLY from?" I mean, duh! :rolleyes: Not to mention the amount of times I've heard "where are your parents from/are you adopted?" Bloody 'ell, next time I get that question I'll ask them the same back.
A friend of mine, in all aspects British, but biologically Korean have found a simple suolution to that annoying question:

"Haven't got the foggiest."

Works every time. :)

Svenskaflicka said:
I consider myself anything but racistic, but I still catch myself being surprised every time I see someone with black hair, brown skin, slanted eyes, whatever, and then hear them talk Swedish with the same dialect as me. I always assume that non-blond Swede=immigrant=Swedish with an accent.

A few years ago, I lived in what is effectively the 'redneck' part of the UK. For you brits here, that'd be Gloucester/the Forest of Dean.

Trucks, farms and inbreeding.

So, I moved into to share a house with this guy I'd known in college. He'd been living there for a few months already, and had been looking for a roomie to split the rent. The locals had sorta kinda warmed to him by now, and they did actually consent to say hello to him when they saw him in our street.

So one day, I'm heading off to work and so is he. We're going in opposite directions, and I worked driving distance away. So I get in my car and drive off, and he starts walking down the street. He passes one old feller who stops to say hi and points at my retreating car.

Old guy: 'ere, can your friend, um, well, can get the food 'e likes round 'ere?
My friend: What do ya mean?
Old guy: Well, 'e's not from round 'ere, is 'e?
My friend: Well, no.
Old guy: Well, tha's what I mean, like. Can 'e get his foreign food round 'ere?
My friend: He's Welsh, mate.

Yeah. Jokes about Welsh being a different country aside, I found the entire incident very amusing.

Raph, who has actually put on a fake 'no-speeky english special flied lice' accent in order to get himself out of trouble before now.

Svenskaflicka said:
Maybe your situation is the best, raphy. Instead of placing you in a certain category, "Caucasian", "Indian", "Asian", you're just...
Human.

Awww

:rose:

Lovepotion69 said:
Svenska,
Personally I get a bit offended and tired of hearing Swedes go "So, where are you from?" everytime they meet me. I mean, that's an ok question after getting to know me more, but don't bring it up in the first couple of conversations! I feel like you want to define who I am, or that you're trying too hard to be interested in my - supposed- nationality. /LP

Yeah, I get that feeling as well...

Back