Making friends in a new state.

I've been here like 3 years now and I don't have any friends. I'm too shy to approach people, or they just don't like me. I've tried to be social and try different things, but I never get invited into a group or anything.

You need to invite people into your private life so they will do the same with you.

I'm not terribly social, and I don't approach new people easily on my own. That's why I like things like meet up groups. It is the same with the gym, sports, classes. You can pursue your interests where the social aspect can be secondary. The activity gives you something to talk about, an automatic common interest, and then you may find someone you click with in other ways, too.

Not sure where you are at, but I do a lot of travel and sometimes stay at the same place for several months, the way I make friends is finding a place where I can do my hobbies, like sports plaves or swimming pool as i do scuba diving. Having a common interest allows one to break the ice and you can be more or less at ease as you have a common ground.

aw. :(
you haven't chased down that jogger chick yet?

No, I haven't seen here in awhile. :(

I have a kitten. There is no need to go out and meet any kooky humans.

This is the best advice!

You need to invite people into your private life so they will do the same with you.

My private life isn't very good. A lot of bad things that make people uncomfortable.

Where is here? Are you near a litster you know and get on with to meet somewhere for coffee?

Would you try meet up too?

'Invited into a group'. Fill your life or day, people will start inviting you. :rose:

I don't think there are any around here. And I'd be too nervous to meet them anyway. :eek:

:(

well, I signed up for some meet-ups. I really fear it's another vehicle of rejection.

What about you Wings?!

well, I signed up for some meet-ups. I really fear it's another vehicle of rejection.

What about you Wings?!

i suggested she start a business as a way to meet new friends
:D

8d06d202f31ed4e83728ec813f5c60bf.jpg

That's a "School Crossing" sign stuck to the front bumper. The van must have
been going at least sixty in a fifteen mile per hour zone.

What about you Wings?!

I signed up too! I haven't committed to anything yet though. I love all the #resist groups around here. I was hoping to find more cooking groups and I would if I was closer to downtown but the 'burbs here don't have a ton.

I set friendship traps.

It's a simple pit covered in palm leaves. When an unsuspecting friend wanders in, don't throw them the rope till you have their number.

How do you do it? Making close friends at work is out now that my management level exceeds 99% of the people there. So how do I find other women to fill my friend quotient?

Friendship without sex is hard to find!
you like making things, don't you? toiletries/candles and such? why not see if there are local craft clubs or artisan hubs to join/visit/display & share your recipes? maybe there's some sort of women's guild listed for your area?

pet clubs? maybe your new local vet knows of something - i dunno, people who rescue animals forum or specific dog breeds in your area?

Last edited:
Dog parks!

I might be down there in about a month, maybe we can go out and meet some people?

I set friendship traps.

It's a simple pit covered in palm leaves. When an unsuspecting friend wanders in, don't throw them the rope till you have their number.

You can be my new friend. Thank you.

you like making things, don't you? toiletries/candles and such? why not see if there are local craft clubs or artisan hubs to join/visit/display & share your recipes? maybe there's some sort of women's guild listed for your area?

pet clubs? maybe your new local vet knows of something - i dunno, people who rescue animals forum or specific dog breeds in your area?

Thank you for the ideas!

Dog parks!

I might be down there in about a month, maybe we can go out and meet some people?

I don't bring my girl to a dog park unless it's empty. Her breed is never a good idea to bring to an unknown location with owners who don't know the dog.

Dollie

The last time a van like that stopped at the curb the guy was yelling "free candy."

In Chicago the Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, or lots of friendly gangs on the far south west side.

Back