New Story Event idea for 2024....

1% = 26,000 dong!!! Does anyone else remember carrying around a bag with currency stapled together into blocks of a meaningful unit to pay for everything? Similarly in India.
It's never been that bad in the United States, so I can't remember it. The worst hyperinflation I've heard about recently was in Zimbabwe.

Solves the bags of money problem: just print one-hundred trillion dollar currency notes.

https://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/100_trillion_2009_Obverse.png

I wonder what you could buy with that?

Ah dunno about this. But I'm just not big in to the contest anymore. I didn't even know geek whatever and pink orchid even existed.
It's not a contest, it's a challenge to writers to expand their horizons and write about something that they're not familiar with. No prizes No Positions
It was if I came out and said "I challenge everyone to write a story about being a dog."

Seeing a work made elsewhere can be interesting. My first thought is about The Seven Samurai, 1952. (Set long before this challenge, of course.) At first viewing, it takes some time to get used to a different kind of movie style and pacing. After a while, some recognizable themes emerge however, as when the samurai have to give the villagers some military basic training. Every war movie needs basic training scenes!
Well, in that case it's because every film student on the planet since 1952 has studied that movie, and about half of them have copied parts of it.

Half the 'Cowboy movies' of the 1950s - whether made in Italy or the States - were basically assorted Kurosawa samurai movies with the costumes changed. ;)

Your point is very legit though. You just happened to pic what's probably seen as the best 'director's movie' ever made.

Were I to write for this contest (and I'm very inclined against it at this point), I could more or less write the story of one side of my own family's escape from China into Latin America during the period while Colonizers, Japanese, and differing factions fought for control over the region. Would definitely NOT be from the POV of a Colonizer. If any of them were in there; they'd be antagonists.

Well, in that case it's because every film student on the planet since 1952 has studied that movie, and about half of them have copied parts of it.

Half the 'Cowboy movies' of the 1950s - whether made in Italy or the States - were basically assorted Kurosawa samurai movies with the costumes changed. ;)

Your point is very legit though. You just happened to pic what's probably seen as the best 'director's movie' ever made.

Were I to write for this contest (and I'm very inclined against it at this point), I could more or less write the story of one side of my own family's escape from China into Latin America during the period while Colonizers, Japanese, and differing factions fought for control over the region. Would definitely NOT be from the POV of a Colonizer. If any of them were in there; they'd be antagonists.
It's likely the only Japanese-language film I've seen. Well, I saw parts of two others about the Russo-Japanese war and, ironically. about the final days of World War II when the Soviet Union attacked the Japanese in Manchuria, I believe. So I never was a film student and I don't have a huge "database" of foreign-language films in my memory to refer to. I was just winging it with that post. If anybody else has better examples of Asian-produced movies or novels, then go ahead and comment on them if you wish.

Ah dunno about this. But I'm just not big in to the contest anymore. I didn't even know geek whatever and pink orchid even existed.
The only way I know about them is through the "support threads" and other comments on AH. (Like the one we are on now.) We've already talked about how poorly organized and dated the Lit home page is.

It's likely the only Japanese-language film I've seen.
I recommend going to see some of Kurosawa's other movies as well. There's a reason almost every director anywhere lists him as an inspiration.

Kurosawa's movies just... are... in such a way that there's a world of film that is before him, and after him, and the difference is stark.

Well, Geek Day and this one aren't contests at all. Just an "Open" Event that's intended to be completely non-competitive - no winners, no prizes. More of an encouragement to all write stories on a common theme. It's hard to raise awareness outside of the AH, but for mine, I usually try and ask people who've written for events before, or who write on the theme, such as it is. It's hard to find a way to reach out to people effectively on Lit tho.

You're welcome. I've got to find some pictures of Hanoi as it looked earlier. But yeah, with eight million people in the city and 20 million in the metro area, its about the size of New York now.

OMG. And my mom's family is from what used to be Saigon - I had no idea Hanoi was that huge. I've always been more interested in historical Vietnam than modern.

Absolutely you could write it that way. My guideline for this event is inclined towards "romance and seduction", but as with "Lust, Caution," and "Bhowani Junction," as well as a whole host of other stories, that can work other ways than the obvious. That said, I'm intending to set this up for 2024, probably around mid-year, so it's over a year away at this point. Plenty of time to think about it. I'd started this thread to see if there was any interest, and it seems like there is, so I'm going to run with it.

My own family's "escape from Vietnam" was well past the period I had in mind (1890-1940) but for myself I'm going to write something in that colonial Vietnamese setting I think. One of my own great-great grandmothers was half-French, half-Vietnamese-Chinese, the results of one of those colonial liaisons, altho its so far back now that no-one in the family really knows anything about her. My granddad remembers her from when he was a young boy, and that even as an old lady she was beautiful, but that's all. I might try and make a story around that, set in 19th century Saigon. The French were a lot less uptight about those inter-racial liaisons than, say, the British, but even the British accepted that it happened, even tho it wasn't exactly approved.

OMG. And my mom's family is from what used to be Saigon - I had no idea Hanoi was that huge. I've always been more interested in historical Vietnam than modern.
I've seen videos and photos of present day Ho Chi Minh City, and it's equally huge. It appears even more modern than Hanoi - sort of like Dallas or Houston in some parts, except it goes on for miles. It too is building an elevated Metro. I'm trying to get population statistics, but it seems to be about nine million in the city itself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...0550-HDR-Pano.jpg/640px-DJI_0550-HDR-Pano.jpg

https://cdnimgen.vietnamplus.vn/t620/uploaded/wbxx/2020_11_01/metro.jpg

Doesn't look like the place Captain Willard saw, although I think the filming location was actually in the Philippines.

Hanoi is huge spread out, not huge towering up. The change since the Vietnam era is far more pronounced in Chinese cities than in Vietnam. Looking at Bing arial coverage of Ho Chi Minh City, I can easily orient it to my time. I can't do that nearly as well with Shanghai or Beijing.

Hanoi is huge spread out, not huge towering up. The change since the Vietnam era is far more pronounced in Chinese cities than in Vietnam. Looking at Bing arial coverage of Ho Chi Minh City, I can easily orient it to my time. I can't do that nearly as well with Shanghai or Beijing.
Most of the world prefers to go out with lower buildings than to make skyscrapers.

You see them in the USA because we have a thing for them, and two of our top cities have land limits (SF and NYC), you see them in Korea because the entire nation is smaller than Ohio yet had a massive population. Elsewhere I guess that pattern follows - where people can they prefer to spread out rather than go up or down. Unless somebody has an ego to satisfy.

LOL. Did you ever see Hanoi from the air, Keith?

LOL. Did you ever see Hanoi from the air, Keith?
Recon pilots aren't looking at the ground. That's what the cameras are for. Have I seen Hanoi from recon and satellite photography? You betcha. ad nauseam.

It boggles my mind what I now can call up from Bing or Google from my home office. In my early career this coverage was so close hold you had to be in steel-lined vaults to see it--and even then the resolution wasn't anything like it is now. And it wasn't annotated like Bing does.

Recon pilots aren't looking at the ground. That's what the cameras are for. Have I seen Hanoi from recon and satellite photography? You betcha. ad nauseam.
And all I ever saw was a few old family photos from Saigon that survived - I'll have to do a lot more reading

And all I ever saw was a few old family photos from Saigon that survived - I'll have to do a lot more reading
There are some pretty good images under Old Saigon Photos. The Google search engine may have slightly different results every time it is used. Also, you may have to click on something and go deeper into it. Like clicking on Old Tram in Saigon photo will bring up 60 other images of various things.

Back