Patting the backs and tooting each others horns

Wow Champ, TRM, Shara and WSO, thank you :heart:

It is like three different worlds, the publishing, writing and being published. Every time I spend too much time in one, I get cranky and pine for the others. I need to start WRITING again and editing/organizing some newer stuff to send out.

I actually DID send out some work and Southern Hum took two! One of my most ridiculous poems ever and one of my favorites that could never find a home. It is nice when you find the right person for your poems. So I wonder, am I almost a real southern girl yet? I really liked Gilbert Allen's poem!

I know a few other southern belle's who Southern Hum would be lucky to have on their pages....

annaswirls said:

It is like three different worlds, the publishing, writing and being published. Every time I spend too much time in one, I get cranky and pine for the others. I need to start WRITING again and editing/organizing some newer stuff to send out.

I actually DID send out some work and Southern Hum took two! One of my most ridiculous poems ever and one of my favorites that could never find a home. It is nice when you find the right person for your poems. So I wonder, am I almost a real southern girl yet? I really liked Gilbert Allen's poem!

I know a few other southern belle's who Southern Hum would be lucky to have on their pages....

I remember your poem Five Wagons of Hickory Nuts. I always thought it was a lovely piece. It's really nice to see it published and in such a good journal, too!

Say, if eagleyez and I finally move to Asheville, can I be a southern belle, too? Think the Joisey accent will give me away as a fake southerner?

Angeline said:
Say, if eagleyez and I finally move to Asheville, can I be a southern belle, too? Think the Joisey accent will give me away as a fake southerner?

You being in the South would be like Woody Allen going to California in Annie Hall — only a lot prettier!

Gnu Yoik jewish intellectual-girls should never be too far from the Russian tea room!

Angeline said:
Asheville is supposed to be very nice. Got a university.

I will only point out is is spelled Ash eville. (Cue the scary music.) What is that about? :rolleyes:

They's citizens will likely like your accent. Find it charmin'. After all, they will almost certainly tell you that they don't have one. ;)

Eluard said:
You being in the South would be like Woody Allen going to California in Annie Hall — only a lot prettier!

Gnu Yoik jewish intellectual-girls should never be too far from the Russian tea room!

I would hate to put too much distance between myself and blintzes, er ah blini. :D

On the other hand, northern Maine is arguably more alien even than Ash-eville (I'm counting on Evie and Maria to teach me to speak southern belle-ese, Tzara. You know like Y'all fuggedaboudit).

Angeline said:
On the other hand, northern Maine is arguably more alien even than Ash-eville (I'm counting on Evie and Maria to teach me to speak southern belle-ese, Tzara. You know like Y'all fuggedaboudit).

Maine is a state of mind.....usually about 25-40 years behind the current date.
:cool:

Angeline said:
I would hate to put too much distance between myself and blintzes, er ah blini. :D

Many people I have met in this area are transplants like us anyway, I am guessing Asheville will be like that :) and you will blend more than you might think. There are a lot of people here from CA, Washington State and VA/MD

You will find that Y'all rolls off the tounge much easier than "Youse guys" and the food the food the FOOD omg. This belly of mine is half baby, half bbq, burritos, creamed corn and kolache....

I am heading to PA/NJ for about a month-- I will see y'all in August!

~J

Tathagata said:
Maine is a state of mind.....usually about 25-40 years behind the current date.
:cool:

So true, and yet I'll miss it when we finally go. I've never seen a purer sky the most perfect cornflower blue, the miles of wild lupine that line the roads this time of year, the um blueberry cobbler at Dysart's. Yesshir deah. :p

Angeline said:
So true, and yet I'll miss it when we finally go. I've never seen a purer sky the most perfect cornflower blue, the miles of wild lupine that line the roads this time of year, the um blueberry cobbler at Dysart's. Yesshir deah. :p

I'm not sure which will move slower Maine or The South
but I agree about the sky, and the air, sweetgrass in summer, burning oak leaves in fall, and lobstah with melted buttah

Tathagata said:
I'm not sure which will move slower Maine or The South
but I agree about the sky, and the air, sweetgrass in summer, burning oak leaves in fall, and lobstah with melted buttah

Funny, but I haven't had lobster much since I moved here. It's expensive here, too (though a lot cheaper than elsewhere). I go nuts with the wild blueberries though, buy pints and pints of them. And they're coming into season now where I'll be able to get a pint for 2 bucks. Mmmmmm, blueberry pancakes, blueberry pie, blueberry gingerbread, blueberry smoothies. :D

Angeline said:
Funny, but I haven't had lobster much since I moved here. It's expensive here, too (though a lot cheaper than elsewhere). I go nuts with the wild blueberries though, buy pints and pints of them. And they're coming into season now where I'll be able to get a pint for 2 bucks. Mmmmmm, blueberry pancakes, blueberry pie, blueberry gingerbread, blueberry smoothies. :D

ya gotta go down to the docks
fresh off the boat
grab the one claws i think they call them culls up there
you buy 5 or 6 of them for like 3 bucks each
gooooooooooooood eatin

blueberry ale........
blueberry crumble, blueberry waffles, blueberry jam.

Tathagata said:
ya gotta go down to the docks
fresh off the boat
grab the one claws i think they call them culls up there
you buy 5 or 6 of them for like 3 bucks each
gooooooooooooood eatin

blueberry ale........
blueberry crumble, blueberry waffles, blueberry jam.

We want to make one last trip to Winter Harbor before we leave here. It's a beautiful little fishing village downeast along the Schoodic Penninsula. We could get the lobstas there, for sure.

And Blueberry Ale is surprisingly good. I wouldn't have thought so, but it is!

Winter Harbor~

Winter%20Harbor.GIF

me12_b.jpg

Angeline said:
We want to make one last trip to Winter Harbor before we leave here. It's a beautiful little fishing village downeast along the Schoodic Penninsula. We could get the lobstas there, for sure.

And Blueberry Ale is surprisingly good. I wouldn't have thought so, but it is!

Winter Harbor~

Winter%20Harbor.GIF

me12_b.jpg

about a mile from where i grew up, the saugus river empties into lynn harbor and the ocean
the lobster boats would all be moored on the river and there was a seafood store right there, if you went right before they closed you'd get some great deals on chicken lobster and culls
I love the look of lobster boats

ok before this becomes a stroll down memory lane
:rolleyes:
hope you get to visit winter harbor again

Angeline said:
:devil: Blueberry bagels and blueberry cream cheese :cattail:

try this ...
cooked wild and brown rice (about a cup and a half)
blueberries (a generous hand full)
leeks sliced very thin on the rounds (1/2 a cup or so)
a generous pinch of oregano
an egg

cut open an atlantic salmon filet (about a pound)
fill with the mixture then tie closed

poach in about a cup of white wine and another cup of chicken stock, add enough water to just cover the salmon on the light boil.. (bring liquids to a vigorous boil then reduce heat to simmer)
cook until salmon flakes in large chunks
season with salt and pepper to taste

feeds 2 or 3 people
try it with fiddleheads

champagne1982 said:
try this ...
cooked wild and brown rice (about a cup and a half)
blueberries (a generous hand full)
leeks sliced very thin on the rounds (1/2 a cup or so)
a generous pinch of oregano
an egg

cut open an atlantic salmon filet (about a pound)
fill with the mixture then tie closed

poach in about a cup of white wine and another cup of chicken stock, add enough water to just cover the salmon on the light boil.. (bring liquids to a vigorous boil then reduce heat to simmer)
cook until salmon flakes in large chunks
season with salt and pepper to taste

feeds 2 or 3 people
try it with fiddleheads

That sounds excellent! Thanks! (No fiddleheads though--I've seen what they grow in up here.) ;)

Anna, thank you for my page. It's beautifully done and so is the entire issue.

I should have thanked you earlier. I'm such a snail.

Well, I'm tentatively sticking my toe out of the closet and bragging a bit...

Read my poem in the Red River Review August '07 issue.

Champ!

Congrats!!I love the poem.

I was poking around that site just yesterday, but in the archives.

Wonderful to see you there!!

:rose:

g-g

champagne1982 said:
Well, I'm tentatively sticking my toe out of the closet and bragging a bit...

Read my poem in the Red River Review August '07 issue.

Nice work!
Love the poem ( and you have a really pretty/ cool name by the way)
Congratulations.
Hope this is the first of many
:heart: :kiss: :rose:

annaswirls said:

Darling Anna,

didnt anyone tell you? If you werent born Southern, you have to have a sponsor!!

and I think by the looks of it, you have more than a few, umm, sponsors, that is

love you!

:heart:

OMG! I just wentther and read your work. When you said silly poem, my first thought was the one about the pork-- nine hundred different versions poem, and then the cow, lol. God, you're so good. And Five wagons, always left me breathless, like I was waiting, too. Youre so gifted, I am in awe, as always.

Last edited:
Back