pic-a-thon II

something I'd like to share

I found this illustrated poem earlier tonight while sorting out tons of files. I wrote the poem in 2002 and smithpeter did the illustration for it. He was kind and generous, even when my early poetry was struggling. :)

elastic.jpg

I really enjoy working in that combination of words and images.

That was nice, thanks.

I wish I'd had the chance to know smithpeter. He sounds like an interesting person.

:rose:

Eve, I like that poem but something about it kinda bugs me. Would it have been 'better' to put 'I wear them for you' up with the top wording, and just left the last 'I don't like them otherwise' by itself? Or is there a reason for it being the way you've got it?

wso - still learning. :)

Here's a whatever it is that I did a few years ago. The picture is one I captured on computer with a videocamera and altered with a filter.

I have no idea if it's any good as a work but it has some interesting appeal.

bluemoon.jpg

wildsweetone said:
I wish I'd had the chance to know smithpeter. He sounds like an interesting person.

Eve, I like that poem but something about it kinda bugs me. Would it have been 'better' to put 'I wear them for you' up with the top wording, and just left the last 'I don't like them otherwise' by itself? Or is there a reason for it being the way you've got it?

wso - still learning. :)
Maybe so. He placed the wording on the picture and I think it was a matter of trying to fit it all onto what empty space was there.
I have another old poem that he did a drawing for (I'm not sure how many I have). The poem isn't very good, but the drawing is neat looking. I'll see if I can dig it up. :)

Edit: Here is a page I uploaded from Sexlacious (an old site I had before eve's habit) The poem inspired the drawing. Both are from 2002. The poem is about two women and some yellow flowers caught up in a tornado. Once again, remember the poem is much earlier work of mine, but the drawing is fabulous!

Last edited:
ruminator said:
Here's a whatever it is that I did a few years ago. The picture is one I captured on computer with a videocamera and altered with a filter.

bluemoon.jpg

I read this about three times before it suddenly dawned on me and WOW I really like it! I like both the visual of the moon and the shadowed font AND the poem. Well done! :rose: Thanks for sharing. :)

WickedEve said:
Maybe so. He placed the wording on the picture and I think it was a matter of trying to fit it all onto what empty space was there.
I have another old poem that he did a drawing for (I'm not sure how many I have). The poem isn't very good, but the drawing is neat looking. I'll see if I can dig it up. :)

Edit: Here is a page I uploaded from Sexlacious (an old site I had before eve's habit) The poem inspired the drawing. Both are from 2002. The poem is about two women and some yellow flowers caught up in a tornado. Once again, remember the poem is much earlier work of mine, but the drawing is fabulous!

He sure had a natural skill with his art work. And your natural skill with writing seems to be beginning to show itself in your poem. :) Thank you for sharing again Eve. :rose:

WickedEve said:
I found this illustrated poem earlier tonight while sorting out tons of files. I wrote the poem in 2002 and smithpeter did the illustration for it. He was kind and generous, even when my early poetry was struggling. :)

elastic.jpg

These are wonderful, Eve. It's so good to see them. I have a few sp drawings and lots of his photos. I look at them and remember him and smile.

:heart:

ruminator said:

bluemoon.jpg

You're good. Do more, please. :D

Angeline said:
You're good. Do more, please. :D

Thanks.....you mean more than once in a blue moon?

;)

Here's another....not sure of the quality of the writing. It's another of the early ones. The photo is also one I took. Even if the poetry is lacking, the overall effect of the combination is interesting. I'm still playing. The 'poetry' here is again a case of random sentences or phrases and not an attempt at anything structured.

thejourneybegins.jpg

Last edited:
ruminator said:

;)

Here's another....not sure of the quality of the writing. It's another of the early ones. The photo is also one I took. Even if the poetry is lacking, the overall effect of the combination is interesting. I'm still playing. The 'poetry' here is again a case of random sentences or phrases and not an attempt at anything structured.

thejourneybegins.jpg

Yes. More than that. I enjoyed this one, too.

Here's one that had a neat place. It was from a story I started writing and the text in the picture/image/photo is a cropped section from the words as they appeared on the page.

It's only fragments of sentences taken out of context but as that. they take on a different impression. This was embedded on the page and text wrapped around it.

redtext.jpg

ruminator said:

;)

thejourneybegins.jpg

That one's pretty good, Rummy. Had it been mine I think I would have faded out the whole picture a bit, and then just placed the text right on the pic, rather than on a sheet of paper. Just my humble opinion, ya know.

BooMerengue said:
That one's pretty good, Rummy. Had it been mine I think I would have faded out the whole picture a bit, and then just placed the text right on the pic, rather than on a sheet of paper. Just my humble opinion, ya know.

Thanks.

I'm sure I had that one saved too....;)

I do as many different combinations as possible and then have a hard time deciding which one to use.

If a picture like this one, has a high amount of contrast in the light/dark areas the image has to be washed way out to be able to see the text. I think that may be why I put it on a sheet.

ruminator said:
Thanks.

I'm sure I had that one saved too....;)

I do as many different combinations as possible and then have a hard time deciding which one to use.

If a picture like this one, has a high amount of contrast in the light/dark areas the image has to be washed way out to be able to see the text. I think that may be why I put it on a sheet.

Maybe you can trying fading the picture just a bit more so the text is stronger. The picture will still be there. I did one once just like this- it was a beautiful pic of galloping horses... I faded it a lot cuz it was a long poem on top of it, but it came out looking pretty cool. Just a thought... Actually I think it will work better... as it is theres too much for the eye to see. With just the faded pic and the text it makes the words stronger and the picture dreamier.

I'm sooo frustrated I cant get on my computer and show you what I mean. *sigh I'm not real good with words. :rose:

Last edited:
BooMerengue said:
Maybe you can trying fading the picture just a bit more so the text is stronger. The picture will still be there. I did one once just like this- it was a beautiful pic of galloping horses... I faded it a lot cuz it was a long poem on top of it, but it came out looking pretty cool. Just a thought... Actually I think it will work better... as it is theres too much for the eye to see. With just the faded pic and the text it makes the words stronger and the picture dreamier.

I'm sooo frustrated I cant get on my computer and show you what I mean. *sigh I'm not real good with words. :rose:

That's what I like about this. The possibilities are unlimited. A different font or color can make text work in different ways.

I might do that for the new competition but it would have to be a short work.

:D

I probably still have the file on my other computer in psp format and still in layers. I'll give that a try in a bit and post the new one.

Last edited:
Enjoying your illustrated work, Rumi

Here's an old one of my illustrated poems. I use photoshop now, but honestly I miss this crummy little program that came with a scanner I bought years ago. It didn't have photoshop's bells and whistles, but it was so user friendly.

I wrote it for the fabulous Judo. :)

Attachments

• berry-girl.jpg
    berry-girl.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 90
Angeline said:
Yeah, it had that effect on me. I'm thinking of going out for a bagel. :D

See, now that sounds healthy.

The first thought I had was the commercial that features the funnel cakes, lightly sprinkled white and seducing me with deep red syrup swallowing strawberry slices.

yum.

Angeline said:
Here's an old one of my illustrated poems. I use photoshop now, but honestly I miss this crummy little program that came with a scanner I bought years ago. It didn't have photoshop's bells and whistles, but it was so user friendly.

I wrote it for the fabulous Judo. :)
hey this one turned out good without the bells and whistles

neonurotic said:
hey this one turned out good without the bells and whistles

I know! That little program that came with my old canon scanner was sweet! Wish I still had it.

And thank you. :)

Back