Recognition for New Poets

Jennifer C said:
Lol, have you thought about eating something? That usually works for me :rose:

I can satisfy that hunger. The others aren't that simple.

No great tragedy. It just happened to be on my mind when I read your post.

ruminator said:
I can satisfy that hunger. The others aren't that simple.

No great tragedy. It just happened to be on my mind when I read your post.

Oh you meant THAT hunger, well if there's anything I can do to help just give me a shout :rose:

twelveoone said:
I haven't followed baseball since they outlawed steriods and cocaine, did they do something?

Nothing involving either steroids or cocaine to the best of my knowlege, but Kurt Schilling is on his way back which is better than drugs imo. :D

Jennifer C said:
Oh you meant THAT hunger, well if there's anything I can do to help just give me a shout :rose:

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it and will keep that in mind.

This need is not one of compromise
though the reciprocity it brings
enhances her experience

One word is chosen over all others
for the need it fullfills
at that time

Purpose driven for this placement
only this word satisfies
an aching need

Thoughts touch tenderly through
other shared realms
for this soul's satisfaction

My body's bonded blindly
with my soul in this
without choice to offer me

But none can touch me,
quiet or sooth my skin's
enduring pang to be desired.

ruminator said:
Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it and will keep that in mind.

This need is not one of compromise
though the reciprocity it brings
enhances her experience

One word is chosen over all others
for the need it fullfills
at that time

Purpose driven for this placement
only this word satisfies
an aching need

Thoughts touch tenderly through
other shared realms
for this soul's satisfaction

My body's bonded blindly
with my soul in this
without choice to offer me

But none can touch me,
quiet or sooth my skin's
enduring pang to be desired.

Oh Rumey, can I call you Rumey? Thanks

Thank you for posting a poem on my thread and what a beautiful poem it was, I love it!

Everyone tell Rumey how lovely his poem is!
:rose:

Jennifer C said:
Oh Rumey, can I call you Rumey? Thanks

Thank you for posting a poem on my thread and what a beautiful poem it was, I love it!

Everyone tell Rumey how lovely his poem is!

;)...glad you like it.

...or they can smile quietly to themselves and tuck a part of away for later.

I've come to appreciate the lack of a compliment to equate roughly to the lack of a criticism. If I hear nothing, that's ok too.

My new poet pick of the week

Telepathic Cashier
by dorksicle ©

I really love this poet's work. If you have not yet checked it out, please do. Sometimes deceptively simple, sarcastic or cynical, straight forward tell it like it is, and always in tune with bits of humanity that often go unnoticed or un-noted.

In your frozen food aisle next to the Klondike bars:

dorksicle

annaswirls said:
Telepathic Cashier
by dorksicle ©

I really love this poet's work. If you have not yet checked it out, please do. Sometimes deceptively simple, sarcastic or cynical, straight forward tell it like it is, and always in tune with bits of humanity that often go unnoticed or un-noted.

In your frozen food aisle next to the Klondike bars:

dorksicle

Thanks annaswirls, I agree with you and have commented on most of her poems, this one slipped by me though, thanks for the mention I'll go check it out!

Habitual threadjack

Angeline said:
and how about those Sox?

...never mind...

It's alright. Just remember, the Yankees will be back on top--eventually. <g>

or maybe that should be instinctive threadjack?

super aplaud for jennifer for taking up the torch of new poet recognition, I been busier than a hawk after a field mouse. Thanks jennifer C

My Erotic Tale said:
super aplaud for jennifer for taking up the torch of new poet recognition, I been busier than a hawk after a field mouse. Thanks jennifer C

Thank you Art for your support and I shall take your applaud greedily!

Ok here's what I am thinking, seeing as this thread is not just for new poets but people who would like to learn more about poetry in general I was thinking some of you more experienced poets might like to leave general tips and advice here so this thread can then also become a place people come to learn as well as chat and share their work.

for example explaining all the different forms of poetry like:-

A cinquain has five lines.
Line 1 is one word (the title)
Line 2 is two words that describe the title.
Line 3 is three words that tell the action
Line 4 is four words that express the feeling
Line 5 is one word that recalls the title.

Any tips and advice you would like to leave here would be greatly appreciated

Someone left this link on another thread once, and I bookmarked it, found it quite informative.

Formal Poetry

As for being a new poet and needing encouragement, that'd be me. My older poems are all crap, this I know. I wrote the majority of my poetry when I was a teen, but a couple newer ones I'm really quite proud of. Seeking was a big step for me in my poetry, it showed a lot of advancement, I feel.. then I wrote Sustenance and all my other poetry, even Seeking, just seemed childish. I know Sustenance is far from perfect, but I'm immensely proud of it.. Would love some honest critiques on it, so I can figure out what I did, and what I could improve.

Jennifer-
This is a great idea for a thread.
I was scared to death posting my first poems, and I still get a bit anxious putting them out for public viewing/criticisms. A place to encourage the new poets is a really nice idea!

SJ

tolyk said:
Someone left this link on another thread once, and I bookmarked it, found it quite informative.

Formal Poetry

As for being a new poet and needing encouragement, that'd be me. My older poems are all crap, this I know. I wrote the majority of my poetry when I was a teen, but a couple newer ones I'm really quite proud of. Seeking was a big step for me in my poetry, it showed a lot of advancement, I feel.. then I wrote Sustenance and all my other poetry, even Seeking, just seemed childish. I know Sustenance is far from perfect, but I'm immensely proud of it.. Would love some honest critiques on it, so I can figure out what I did, and what I could improve.

Thank you Tol for the link and for sharing your thoughts here on this thread, alot of poets here want to improve and need encouragement, I hope they can find it here.

If any poets could read Tols work and offer any help and or suggestions it would be appreciated, feedback helps us improve and grow as writers.

Thank you

sophia jane said:
Jennifer-
This is a great idea for a thread.
I was scared to death posting my first poems, and I still get a bit anxious putting them out for public viewing/criticisms. A place to encourage the new poets is a really nice idea!

SJ

Thank you SJ for your kind words and support it's greatly appreciated :rose:

Again if anyone has any general tips for new poets pls feel free to post them here.

Thank you

Jennifer C said:
Ok here's what I am thinking, seeing as this thread is not just for new poets but people who would like to learn more about poetry in general I was thinking some of you more experienced poets might like to leave general tips and advice here so this thread can then also become a place people come to learn as well as chat and share their work.

for example explaining all the different forms of poetry like:-

A cinquain has five lines.
Line 1 is one word (the title)
Line 2 is two words that describe the title.
Line 3 is three words that tell the action
Line 4 is four words that express the feeling
Line 5 is one word that recalls the title.

Any tips and advice you would like to leave here would be greatly appreciated

Oh Oh I like this idea Jennifer...

I am still learning soo much.
Love to play with words, and schemes...
More Please~

Some Poetry Forms
Detailed below are explanations of Poetry Forms. There are many poetry forms such as ballads, sonnets, odes, epitaphs, elegies and many more. What do they all mean and what are the differences in these various forms? Listed below are many definitions of Poetry Forms.A Form is the generic term for the organising principle of a literary work. In poetry, form is described in terms elements like rhyme, meter, and stanzaic pattern.

ABC poem
An ABC poem has 5 lines that create a mood, picture, or feeling. Lines 1 through 4 are made up of words, phrases or clauses - and the first word of each line is in alphabetical order from the first word. Line 5 is one sentence, beginning with any letter.

Ballad
A poem that tells a story similar to a folk tale or legend and often has a repeated refrain.

Quatrain
A stanza or poem of four lines.
Lines 2 and 4 must rhyme.
Lines 1 and 3 may or may not rhyme.
Rhyming lines should have a similar number of syllables
Name Poem
A name poem tells about the word. It uses the letters of the word for the first letter of each line.

Ballade
A type of poem, usually with three stanzas of seven, eight, or ten lines and a shorter final stanza of four or five lines. All stanzas end with the same one-line refrain.

# Couplet
A couplet has rhyming stanzas each made up of two lines. Shakespearean sonnets usually end in a couple

# Haiku
A Japanese poem composed of three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables. Haiku reflects on some aspect of nature.

These are just a few poetry forms taken from http://www.poetry-online.org/poetry-terms.htm

ruminator said:

Your welcome, here's some more

Idyll, or Idyl
Either a short poem depicting a peaceful, idealized country scene, or a long poem that tells a story about heroes of a bye gone age.

Rhyme
A rhyme has the repetition of the same or similar sounds at the end of two or more words most often at the ends of lines. There are several derivatives of this term which include double rhyme, Triple rhyme, rising rhyme, falling rhyme, Perfect and imperfect rhymes

# Senryu
A short Japanese poem that is similar to a haiku in structure but treats human beings rather than nature, often in a humorous or satiric way.

# Tanka
A Japanese poem of five lines, the first and third composed of five syllables and the rest of seven.

Terza rima
A type of poetry consisting of 10 or 11 syllable lines arranged in three-line "tercets". The poet Dante is credited with inventing terza rima and it has been used by many English poets including Chaucer, Milton, Shelley, and Auden.

# Sonnet
English (or Shakespearean) sonnets are lyric poems that are 14 lines long falling into three coordinate quatrains and a concluding couplet. Italian (or Petrarchan) sonnets are divided into two quatrains and a six-line sestet.

Again taken from http://www.poetry-online.org/poetry-terms.htm

So go write a poem! :rose:

Jen
this is great! When I have time I am going to try my hand at some of these styles. I love Haiku and it will be fun to try some new forms. Free form is new to me so I look forward to becoming structured in my poetic attempts
thank you again for the info
du~

Du Lac said:
Jen
this is great! When I have time I am going to try my hand at some of these styles. I love Haiku and it will be fun to try some new forms. Free form is new to me so I look forward to becoming structured in my poetic attempts
thank you again for the info
du~

Thanks du and your welcome, i'm glad this thread is proving useful

Back