Republican Christianity.

Pookie said:
The South was traditionally Democratic party territory, but it's always been in name only. Even in my State when the Governor and State House went from the Democrats to the Republicans, very little if anything was different. Heck, a number of the "new" Republicans were just the same old legislators that switched parties. The South has traditionally been conservative. Nothing has changed about that over the years.

the south was traditionally democratic because lincoln was a republican.

truman's tiptoe into the civil rights wading pool led to the formation of the dixiecrats. pookie, i bet you can explain better than many on the board as to the significance of strom thurmond.

add to this the republican's racially polarizing "southern strategy," in which they appealed to bigotry and racial hatred (now i get to mention my senator, trent lott), and you see where the republican party turned itself inside out on race issues. especially in the south.

southern republicans are just like esso oil. brand new name. same old gas.

CrackerjackHrt said:

truman's tiptoe into the civil rights wading pool led to the formation of the dixiecrats. pookie, i bet you can explain better than many on the board as to the significance of strom thurmond.

add to this the republican's racially polarizing "southern strategy," in which they appealed to bigotry and racial hatred (now i get to mention my senator, trent lott), and you see where the republican party turned itself inside out on race issues. especially in the south.

Trent turned back to bite the hand that smacked him.....after it fed him.

There'll be a bunch more turning against each other in the future. It's part of the coerced loyalty or fidelity by ultimatum that helped them become so powerful.

Pookie said:

I found it ...

Code:
 The Harris Poll. Aug. 9-16, 2005. N=1,217 adults nationwide. MoE ±  3.

"How do you rate the job: excellent, pretty good, only fair, or poor?"

Excellent/Pretty Good     Only Fair/Poor
Republicans	 	     32 	          64 
Democrats                    31                   65

CrackerjackHrt said:

Spot on. My parents and grandparents could better explain Thurmond. His party switch was all about bigotry though. As the national Democrats began fighting to do away with discrimination against various groups, the same Democratic legislators began shifting to the State Republican party where they felt more at home with the national party. In the past, being a Democrat was just a label you had to wear to be considered a legitimate candidate.

BlueEyesInLevis said:
Define what a "Neocon" is as you see it Borscht.

The main difference between Neocons and Republicans is that Neocons chose ideology over rational thought.

Bush 1 didn't try to occupy Iraq because he and his fellow conservatives had the horse sense to see how that would pan out.

Bush 2 did try to occupy Iraq because he and his fellow fantasists didn't.

Bush 1 beleived in the traditional American principles of freedom and individualism.

Bush 2 has tried to use the power of the state to tell Americans how to live and die.

Bush 1 was a veteran, and the people who voted for him had an instinctive respect for veterans.

Bush 2 is a draft dodger who decided that tax cuts were more important than body armour for the troops.

Etc.

CrackerjackHrt said:

You left out LBJ and the civil rights legislation. This is the point at which the South really started going republican. Kevin Phillips wrote the book on this and on Nixon and the "Federal Machine." In fact LBJ predicted that the passage of the Civil Rights Act would lose the South to the Democratic Party for the next several generations.

Nobody in the Republican Party, except Lincoln, has ever displayed that kind of courage and self-sacrifice.

phrodeau said:
Got any recent quotes?

Palestinian Clerics Association Deputy Director on Hizbullah's Al-Manar TV: ‘We Will Enter Palestine as Conquerors, Not Through Negotiations But Through Jihad’; According to Prophetic Tradition, All Palestine Will Be Liberated and The Zionist Entity Wiped Out

LINK

Want more?

Sam1 said:
You left out LBJ and the civil rights legislation. This is the point at which the South really started going republican. Kevin Phillips wrote the book on this and on Nixon and the "Federal Machine." In fact LBJ predicted that the passage of the Civil Rights Act would lose the South to the Democratic Party for the next several generations.

Nobody in the Republican Party, except Lincoln, has ever displayed that kind of courage and self-sacrifice.

* nods.

very good point.

several judges appointed by eisenhower did, though. judges elbert tuttle, john minor wisdom, and john brown helped define civil rights in the late 50s.

Borscht said:
The main difference between Neocons and Republicans is that Neocons chose ideology over rational thought.

Bush 1 didn't try to occupy Iraq because he and his fellow conservatives had the horse sense to see how that would pan out.

Bush 2 did try to occupy Iraq because he and his fellow fantasists didn't.

Bush 1 beleived in the traditional American principles of freedom and individualism.

Bush 2 has tried to use the power of the state to tell Americans how to live and die.

Bush 1 was a veteran, and the people who voted for him had an instinctive respect for veterans.

Bush 2 is a draft dodger who decided that tax cuts were more important than body armour for the troops.

Etc.
I didnt ask for a "Compare and Contrast" I asked you to define a "neo-con" as you see them.

CrackerjackHrt said:
* nods.

very good point.

several judges appointed by eisenhower did, though. judges elbert tuttle, john minor wisdom, and john brown helped define civil rights in the late 50s.

That these judges issued supportive ruleings does not indicate courage or self-sacrifice. They had life-time appointments. Nor would they be seen as republicans thereby causing electorial fallout for the party

Sam1 said:
That these judges issued supportive ruleings does not indicate courage or self-sacrifice. They had life-time appointments. Nor would they be seen as republicans thereby causing electorial fallout for the party

they didn't issue "supportive rulings." their opinions were an integral part of the success of the civil rights movement in the deep south in the 50s and 60s. they truly were heroes.

these men were raised and lived in georgia, alabama, and louisiana. and hell yes, it took a lot of fortitude to sign opinions resulting in sweeping societal change, knowing that you'd be ostracized at church, in your social circles, amongst all the hoidy-toidy lawyers who used to be your peers. knowing that some klukker might decide to firebomb your house in the middle of the night, or assassinate you as walked to your car.

it was fuckin' courage. and self-sacrifice. read up on 'em before you make such a dismissive statement.

Last edited:
Gringao said:
Palestinian Clerics Association Deputy Director on Hizbullah's Al-Manar TV: ‘We Will Enter Palestine as Conquerors, Not Through Negotiations But Through Jihad’; According to Prophetic Tradition, All Palestine Will Be Liberated and The Zionist Entity Wiped Out

LINK

Want more?
Dude, that guy is going on about trees that talk. If the mainstream press covered him, they'd be chastised for poking fun at a silly old man.

ruminator said:
I've attended several different Christian churches. The variety of styles and details of the message delivered is pretty wide even though it's all based in the core philosophies.

The one I attended, during the runup to war, made me very uncomfortable. There was a strong message that this war for eternal salvation extends throughout the world and the message must be spread accordingly. Our mortal lives are insignificant and worthy of sacrifice for the devotion to eternal life as promised.

I'm a firm believer in the teachings of Christianity but the local affiliates can do powerfull things when they deliver the message.

I guess I was fortunate that I had a very dis-similar experience. I went to church for the first time in a LONG time after September 11. They kept showing pictures and I cried and cried...but the church wasn't trying to incite rage...they weren't trying to get us to go out and save everyone...He told us at this difficult time, it was important to lean on our faith for strength and spread compassion and understanding to help unite a broken country. He even suggested we learn more about the muslim faith! It was a comforting sermon.

CrackerjackHrt said:
they didn't issue "supportive rulings." their opinions were an integral part of the success of the civil rights movement in the deep south in the 50s and 60s. they truly were heroes.

these men were raised and lived in georgia, alabama, and louisiana. and hell yes, it took a lot of fortitude to sign opinions resulting in sweeping societal change, knowing that you'd be ostracized at church, in your social circles, amongst all the hoidy-toidy lawyers who used to be your peers. knowing that some klukker might decide to firebomb your house in the middle of the night, or assassinate you as walked to your car.

it was fuckin' courage. and self-sacrifice. read up on 'em before you make such a dismissive statement.

PREACH ON CRACKERJACK!!!!!

On a topic slightly askew from that ^^^ one. Everyone seems to be attacking the Religious Right (which is fine), but no one seems to be going after the Super Liberal Left. Each side has gone so extreme that normal people can no longer identify with either side. I consider myself a few paces left of the right...I always have been. But I have to walk further and further everday! Unfortunately, from my vantage point, the left is completely out of view!

Sam1 said:

CrackerjackHrt said:

I stand corrected! You are right I should not have denigrated eather the courage or self-sacrifice of these men. From what youwrote they did in fact display both.

This is what Thomas Jefferson had to say...............
"It is in our lives and not our words that our religion must be read."

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

"In the fevered state of our country, no good can ever result from any attempt to set one of these fiery zealots to rights, either in fact or principle. They are determined as to the facts they will believe, and the opinions on which they will act. Get by them, therefore, as you would by an angry bull; it is not for a man of sense to dispute the road with such an animal."

"If the freedom of religion, guaranteed to us by law in theory, can ever rise in practice under the overbearing inquisition of public opinion, then and only then will truth, prevail over fanaticism"

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law"

"The loathsome combination of Church and State"

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."​

"It is in our lives and not our words that our religion must be read."~Thomas Jefferson
The Texan way of death

With George W Bush as governor, Texas's execution tally has soared. But, asks Julian Borger, will he change his tune if he enters the White House?
Mr. Penry, whose I.Q. has been tested by state authorities at 56, spends his days coloring with crayons and looking at comic books he cannot read, his lawyers say. He says he still believes in Santa Claus. Now, after 20 years on death row, he is scheduled to be executed on Thursday by lethal injection.
Wednesday December 13, 2000

Almost every arithmetic total has been a matter of debate in this year's extraordinary election, but there is one count which Governor George W Bush won with an indisputable margin.
Under Governor Bush's leadership this year, Texas has carried out more executions than any other state since US records began. Forty prisoners were put to death - representing nearly half the total number of executions across the country. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-According to the Death Penalty Information Centre in Washington, the last time a state came anywhere close in its use of capital punishment was in 1862, when the US army executed 39 native Americans after an uprising in Minnesota.

I say throw the patriot act at Roberts.

well the death toll wouldn't be so high if there weren't so many murderers and rapists. I'm a bit split on the issue of capital punishment, but I can say this: No rapist or murderer put to death has ever raped or killed again.

DallasWantsPink said:
well the death toll wouldn't be so high if there weren't so many murderers and rapists. I'm a bit split on the issue of capital punishment, but I can say this: No rapist or murderer put to death has ever raped or killed again.

Furthermore, no innocent who was put to death could do anything any more.

Somme said:
Furthermore, no innocent who was put to death could do anything any more.
How often do you think that ACTUALLY happens? Seriously. With all the new forensic technology around, there has to be a serious case put together for the DA to even send it to the grand jury.

DallasWantsPink said:
How often do you think that ACTUALLY happens? Seriously. With all the new forensic technology around, there has to be a serious case put together for the DA to even send it to the grand jury.

you're mistaken. wrongful convictions occur frequently enough for this to be a real concern. forensic evidence is not required for a conviction, much less an indictment. and even in cases where forensic evidence comes into play, it often is not determinative. it's just a piece of evidence.

But can you cite an actual incident? Do you know of a relatively recent innocent put to death?

DallasWantsPink said:
But can you cite an actual incident? Do you know of a relatively recent innocent put to death?

over one hundred people have been exonerated from death row with proof of innocence.

google anthony porter. he was 30 minutes away or so from being executed when a stay was issued because of "recently discovered" dna evidence that a state forensic officer swore did not exist.

Thank you for showing me those (sincerely). You made part of my arguement for me, though. They were exonerated before execution. Also, one of the many articles did state that a big part of the reason for many innocent people being released was due to new forensic technology. Additionally, these people sit on death-row for years and are given the opportunity to exhaust the appeals process. No system is without flaw, but I'd rather not pay to house a murderer for the rest of his life where he may watch cable tv and, in some cases, have more rights and liberties than I do. Even scarier is the chance of him (or her) getting out on parole.

Last edited:
DallasWantsPink said:
Thank you for showing me those (sincerely). However one of the many articles did state that a big part of the reason for many innocent people being released was due to new forensic technology. Additionally, these people sit on death-row for years and are given the opportunity to exhaust the appeals process. No system is without flaw, but I'd rather not pay to house a murderer for the rest of his life where he may watch cable tv and, in some cases, have more rights and liberties than I do. Even scarier is the chance of him (or her) getting out on parole.

i represent those guys.

they don't have cable. hell, here in the mississippi delta, they don't even have air conditioning. unless you are posting from gitmo, i assure you, you have more rights and liberties than they do.

and the cards are stacked against them in the appeals process because of procedural bars, time limits, and presumptions in favor of the verdict. once a conviction is affirmed on direct appeal, trying to overturn it in habeas now is akin to a fool's errand.

most murderers never make it to death row. even really bad scary ones. what about the possibility of those guys getting out on parole?

Back