September Film Challenge 🎬

Day 10: Movie that scared you the most

I saw this on Halloween 1999 (Blockbuster rental) around midnight and couldn't go to sleep afterwards. This movie proves that our imagination is always scarier than what we can see with our own eyes.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

This is the last scene in the movie so if you haven't seen it, don't watch it! 🙂

I saw this on Halloween 1999 (Blockbuster rental) around midnight and couldn't go to sleep afterwards. This movie proves that our imagination is always scarier than what we can see with our own eyes.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

This is the last scene in the movie so if you haven't seen it, don't watch it! 🙂

Goddammit! This was absolutely going to be my pick!

Day 10: The movie that scared you the most
It's not a horror movie, but I must have been about 7 years old when I snuck into the living room while my parents were watching this. I saw just enough to see the guy get his throat slit in the restroom. For years I was terrified of public restrooms because I thought that's where murderers did all their throat-slitting.
witness poster.jpg

Horror movies don’t really scare me that much. I’m not really a big believer in the supernatural.

People being the worst because they’re greedy motherfuckers though? They’re all too fucking common and terrifying

qVpCaBcnjRzGL3nOPHi6Suy0sB6.jpg

Michael Myers terrified me for years. I saw this when I was WAY too young and became obsessed with watching it every time it was on. It scared me every single time!

It's not a horror movie, but I must have been about 7 years old when I snuck into the living room while my parents were watching this. I saw just enough to see the guy get his throat slit in the restroom. For years I was terrified of public restrooms because I thought that's where murderers did all their throat-slitting.
View attachment 2389554
But it taught you situational awareness while taking a wiz at the urinal.
Another life potentially saved by film. 👍

This. This scared the shit out of me.

My work wife always joked that she was going to boil my bunny. Probably what kept us strictly platonic, because I’m certain she was capable of it.

Day 10 - Movie that scared you the most

I could most identify with the people in danger here. There is an American remake but I strongly suggest watching the original if you like to be uncomfy while watching your movies.

Real life is way scarier than horror flicks but (hopefully) not when you're a kid. I didn't even watch Deep Blue Sea but somehow saw the arm scene and I was freaked the fuck out 😳 I guess YouTube is trying to keep the kids these days from what I went through cos it's age restricted 😂 I used to be pretty scared of sharks. I like them now but I still don't anticipate swimming with them at any point.

View attachment 2389554
Movies are powerful that way. I was terrified of getting killed in the woods even though I never went in the woods 😂

Real life is way scarier than horror flicks but (hopefully) not when you're a kid. I didn't even watch Deep Blue Sea but somehow saw the arm scene and I was freaked the fuck out 😳 I guess YouTube is trying to keep the kids these days from what I went through cos it's age restricted 😂 I used to be pretty scared of sharks. I like them now but I still don't anticipate swimming with them at any point.

Oh, sharks are scary. Not "Jaws" scary but... I don't want to feel them bump against my leg in the ocean.

Oh, sharks are scary. Not "Jaws" scary but... I don't want to feel them bump against my leg in the ocean.
I definitely wouldn't want to feel that either 😳 There's a YouTube channel called The Malibu Artist and he has a bunch of drone footage of sharks where people don't even realize they're right there in the water with them. I guess it helped me realize that sharks are mostly just chilling and curious about who's in their house. I don't worry about them much anymore. I'm more afraid of a rip current dragging me out cos I still have to be afraid of something lol.

One of the weirdest things for me was when I was surfing in Sana Cruz. I was out waiting for a good set when people started pointing and yelling. A pair of what they told me later were Tiger sharks cruising around in the flat water before the breakers. Sitting on your stick, legs on either side, and a pair of apex predators in their world, not mine. They got as close as about fifty feet, but it felt like they were right next to me. Heart racing, breath fast, the monkey in my head screaming for me to head for the shore, but knowing that would be the stupid move. I had read the phrase "gibbering in terror," but until then, had no idea what it really meant.

They swam off, and I headed in for the day. Was out the next morning though...

A scarier ocean movie to me is OPEN WATER

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a classic for a reason. For one thing, it really holds up. It was made on a shoestring budget in 1974, and so it has that 70s aesthetic --feels almost like you are watching a snuff film. Also, it was filmed in Texas. In the summer. There was a lot of accidentally enforced Method acting. For example, shooting the dinner scene it was over 100 degrees in the room. There was no such thing as fake meat, so the meat used as props was all rotting. Animal blood from a butcher shop slopped on the walls, rancid. The hysterical laughter from the final girl was not fake. She was so glad the final shot was done, she went a little insane.

Second, he horror is based on tension and imagination rather than gore. There is very little blood in this movie, and few "gnarly kills" as they say. Considering the budget and the times, that is a huge plus for realism. Rather than, for example, a fake looking hammer to the head shot you get sound, off camera, and pan to a body laying on the floor in convulsions as the body doesn't realize it is dead yet. Far more realistic, far more terrifying. Much of the violence happens in other rooms and you get sound and heart-rending screams, male and female. Your imagination fills in far worse details...for years.

Third, a lot happens in the bright sunlight instead of dark and shadows. You see it.

Based on a true story, that of Ed Gein, the inspiration for so many films. Toby Hooper is a genius at making maximum use of minimum resources. And it is scary as anything ever filmed.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

MV5BMTU1MzY2NDc2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTc3MTUzMzI@._V1_.jpg

Day 11: A movie with the best soundtrack

I was in a funk. I had just been dumped and I wanted to feel better. Hugh Jackman does that for me. Especially when he sings. I went and saw this film and bought the soundtrack on CD (compact disc that plays in a player) immediately to listen to in my car (back when cars could do that).

The Greatest Showman (2017)

Back