The 2024 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

OK AHers - one more image challenge for the 750 word event.

Xitter link.

Off you go…

Emily
Okay, I feel safe on this one. Anything I come up with for this lass will be way more than 750 words. Whew!
An interesting idea. Add Allan Quartermain as her competitor and ex-lover for some good sexual tension and drama.

Okay, I feel safe on this one. Anything I come up with for this lass will be way more than 750 words. Whew!
An interesting idea. Add Allan Quartermain as her competitor and ex-lover for some good sexual tension and drama.
A Victorian pulp adventure/romance: The League of Exhibitionist Gentlemen

OK - I’m just giving this away, but Juliana’s female love interest is clearly Marion Shavengood.

Emily
But you could make it more trope-y: she's her lesbian lover, yes, but her name is Marion Cravinwood, and she... well, you get the picture I'm sure. :giggle:

But you could make it more trope-y: she's her lesbian lover, yes, but her name is Marion Cravinwood, and she... well, you get the picture I'm sure. :giggle:
So off you go, hun. It ain’t gonna write itself.

Emily

Interesting one today. I submitted a story showing exactly 750 words in Word and Lit’s Control Panel.

Sent back:

‘Hello, and thank you for sharing your work! This story is showing as 747 words in Word, Google Docs, and the Lit Control Panel. Please either make the story exactly 750 words. Thank you!’

I’ve added three words. It now shows 753 words, exactly, in Word and Control Panel. We shall see.

Ours came out today: Fairy Tails

Have anyone seen the “only one line” thread? I can’t find it and I have a line I wanted to post in it, this one:

“They were almost as wise as their asses were asswise.”

Such elegance! I’m proud of myself.

Ours came out today: Fairy Tails

Have anyone seen the “only one line” thread? I can’t find it and I have a line I wanted to post in it, this one:

“They were almost as wise as their asses were asswise.”

Such elegance! I’m proud of myself.
It's called, 'Just one Line.' I just posted a few lines again, so it should be near the top of the page.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

So I’ve published 7 - this where I am:

1. SciFi & Fantasy ✅
  2. Non-erotic ✅
  3. Romance ✅
  4. BDSM ✅
  5. Humor & Satire ✅
  6. Gay Male ✅
  7. Lesbian Sex ✅
  8. Toys & Masturbation ⬅️ tomorrow
  9. Toys & Masturbation (couldn’t be two more dissimilar stories)
  10. Interracial Love
  11. Mind Control
  12. Mature
  13. Celebrities & Fan Fiction
Added one more. Again in a category I’ve never written before.

Emily

Well, all be danged. My story was rejected for being too short -- 743 words. I re-checked the Word version I submitted, and once again it said 750 words. Then I copied the text of the story as I submitted it from the text box back into a Word document, and it confirmed it was 743 words. Then I compared the two documents, and the words were line for line the same.

They were formatted differently, however. With my initial submission, the draft contained automatic paragraph spacing, which I copied and pasted into the text box. Since all the automatic spacing was deleted, I had to reinsert paragraph spacing manually, and somehow, although it did not appear to affect the words themselves, the re-spacing changed the word count.

I added one sentence of seven letters. We'll see how it goes.

Lesson: Make sure the document you paste into the text box has no automatic spacing. Get rid of all of the automatic spacing and manually insert spaces into the paragraphs. When you do that, the document as it appears in the text box will have the correct spacing, and the word counts for your documents will match (although I don't understand why this matters for the word count).

Well, all be danged. My story was rejected for being too short -- 743 words. I re-checked the Word version I submitted, and once again it said 750 words. Then I copied the text of the story as I submitted it from the text box back into a Word document, and it confirmed it was 743 words. Then I compared the two documents, and the words were line for line the same.

They were formatted differently, however. With my initial submission, the draft contained automatic paragraph spacing, which I copied and pasted into the text box. Since all the automatic spacing was deleted, I had to reinsert paragraph spacing manually, and somehow, although it did not appear to affect the words themselves, the re-spacing changed the word count.

I added one sentence of seven letters. We'll see how it goes.

Lesson: Make sure the document you paste into the text box has no automatic spacing. Get rid of all of the automatic spacing and manually insert spaces into the paragraphs. When you do that, the document as it appears in the text box will have the correct spacing, and the word counts for your documents will match (although I don't understand why this matters for the word count).
I always write the body text by itself first (no “this is a contribution to the…”) and check the word count in both Word and the Lit text box. And yes there have been discrepancies.

Emily

I always write the body text by itself first (no “this is a contribution to the…”) and check the word count in both Word and the Lit text box. And yes there have been discrepancies.

Emily

That's smart. I didn't add any extra, explanatory text, although in retrospect I wish I had because it would flag it for the reader and the score might be higher. My 750-word stories consistently get penalized for being too short.

The problem stems from the fact I'm working with a default Word Template that has the automatic formatting. Previously, I had created a template that was just right for Lit stories, with none of the formatting, but I went back unwittingly to using the old one.

Back