The 2024 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

I have seven ready to go... what would happen if I submit them all now? Would they be distributed over the first few days?

You should wait until the publication's open date to put them up. Since it is a Challenge and not a contest, they'll put them up as soon as they clear review and then be added in only when the competition goes live. I don't know about you, but I want the voting to be during the Challenge and not leading up to it.
I have seven ready to go... what would happen if I submit them all now? Would they be distributed over the first few days?

I try to keep a copy in two places. Though I sometimes get confused and have lost edits that way. Not so much now, but when I was starting out.

Em
I use Word on my phone and it saves automatically to OneDrive, so I need to double save, anyway because Lit can't access the folder. I started putting my saves in their own story folder in my Lit folder, or novel folder, what have you. After losing that whole fanfic, I've been on gamer mode with the saves.

I just finished another one.
Outstanding!
I have found that it helps the reader, and future readers, understand what you did if you toss in an introduction stating that this is part of an event and that the challenge is to write the best story possible in 750 words, followed with, "Below this line is exactly 750 words" The reception I've received from doing that is fantastic.

Outstanding!
I have found that it helps the reader, and future readers, understand what you did if you toss in an introduction stating that this is part of an event and that the challenge is to write the best story possible in 750 words, followed with, "Below this line is exactly 750 words" The reception I've received from doing that is fantastic.
I just hope they pay attention to the word count before they click, or the tags. I don't like putting anything in the story, not the story. I've always been a no disclaimer, no trigger warning person.

Tread lightly, for ye know not where you step.

Not feeling the ending, on the second one, but it's a bit hard making something of substance so short sometimes.

Submitted my story tonight. I have a feeling I will be inundated with requests for a more detailed version. :sneaky:
I'm confused. According to the announcement stories need to be submitted between Februrary 1st and February 28th and my calendar says we're still in January. Can they be submitted now with the appropriate notes and verbiage?
750-word challenge announcement

I'm confused. According to the announcement stories need to be submitted between Februrary 1st and February 28th and my calendar says we're still in January. Can they be submitted now with the appropriate notes and verbiage?
750-word challenge announcement
Yes. With appropriate verbiage as described, it will be set with a release date of 2/1/2024

See previous comment from @EmilyMiller

Are their specific tags I should include referencing the challenge/project?

Look at the first post, it has all the instructions.
Not an answer to my question. I followed the first post. But before I submit it, I wanted to see if there were tags to help people find this challenge like 750word2024 or 750word or just 750 as a tag. Just curious if there were official tags. I looked at some previous stories and there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Here is an example
Screenshot 2024-01-09 144429.png

Readers are going to vote how they vote, no matter what kind of disclaimers you put on.

Go in with the expectation of lower scores and you won't be surprised. Three of my lowest scores are 750 stories, but still higher than if they were LW stories.
My story from last year has been sitting at 4.49 for over six months. So close ... so close. 😪
Readers. We hate them and we love them. It's probably very unhealthy.

Very true. But I look at it this way. Every time I post any story, the views on the rest of my work double, at a minimum.
So I look at it as a win. I enjoyed writing it, AND my views get a big boost. I'm happy with that.

I received a PM from a reader several days ago (not the normal anonymous), having read my essays and read my comments on several stories, lamenting the fact that me and guys like me, were seducing and preying on married women, with all the single women in the world (he totally misread and misunderstood what I have written).

He wrote almost 300 words. It just gave me an idea for a 750 word essay where I start with his comments, and pen my response to him. I haven't seen a story like that on Lit. Think it would work?

I wrote a trilogy of these (750 is so g-d short, I didn't even get sex into one of them) but now harbour concerns that this is against the spirit of the event. Your thoughts?

I received a PM from a reader several days ago (not the normal anonymous), having read my essays and read my comments on several stories, lamenting the fact that me and guys like me, were seducing and preying on married women, with all the single women in the world (he totally misread and misunderstood what I have written).

He wrote almost 300 words. It just gave me an idea for a 750 word essay where I start with his comments, and pen my response to him. I haven't seen a story like that on Lit. Think it would work?
I think that would be unique and interesting. Give it a shot.

I wrote a trilogy of these (750 is so g-d short, I didn't even get sex into one of them) but now harbour concerns that this is against the spirit of the event. Your thoughts?
I commend your self awareness.

Employing the series-like loophole isn’t expressly forbidden, although most choose to avoid it. Perhaps future years should expressly forbid it

Your self awareness i bet is focusing on it not truly being 750 words if it’s a trilogy. There is also an often discussed scoring advantage to series, so having a series, a trilogy, hints or implications within the title that the story is part of a series or like a series, all impact scoring. So boasting about scores while creating a belief that it’s a series is outside the lines too, even if not expressly forbidden. (Again, I know you, the OP, weren’t talking about scoring.)

Good discussion though. Perhaps it is a worthwhile evolution to the rules for future years.

I commend your self awareness.

Employing the series-like loophole isn’t expressly forbidden, although most choose to avoid it. Perhaps future years should expressly forbid it

Your self awareness i bet is focusing on it not truly being 750 words if it’s a trilogy. There is also an often discussed scoring advantage to series, so having a series, a trilogy, hints or implications within the title that the story is part of a series or like a series, all impact scoring. So boasting about scores while creating a belief that it’s a series is outside the lines too, even if not expressly forbidden. (Again, I know you, the OP, weren’t talking about scoring.)

Good discussion though. Perhaps it is a worthwhile evolution to the rules for future years.

Since it's an author challenge and not a competition, I suppose it is up to each individual to decide the parameters that they which to operate within; but overall, I agree with your assessment. The 'hard mode' version of this challenge is certainly to take a completely brand-new 750 word story that isn't related to anything else you've written, and that will never have a continuation or second part, and still making it work - featuring both a beginning and an end, and still being titillating or emotionally touching. I've tried it twice with some mediocre success, and I intend to go down that route again. Still haven't started writing anything, but thinking I might go for a vampire story or something a little bit on the poetic side. ☺️

Back