The 50 Plus Cafe, Pub, All-Nite Greasy Spoon and Dive Bar

I have added a second video this morning. This is another pup learning to retrieve from water. He is very splashy on the way out which is symptomatic of a pup who lacks confidence and is trying to keep his head out of the water. They soon get over it as confidence develops.

He has also had the confidence to deliver the dummy past an older dog which is excellent!

BEN..... you are a star........ I think what strikes me is how their desire to follow and please their leader...you... outweighs need for treats and stuff to comply.... these dogs are just happy to work and get the job done....

Now that being said, they need to keep up their strength

BEN..... you are a star........ I think what strikes me is how their desire to follow and please their leader...you... outweighs need for treats and stuff to comply.... these dogs are just happy to work and get the job done....

Now that being said, they need to keep up their strength
I do use treats to teach at the outset, together with lots of praise. Then they are reduced and used sparingly to reward a behaviour, particularly retrieving. When people ask me about dog training from scratch I recommend they read a book by Pippa Mattinson called “Total Recall”. It is a game changer and can be used in principle to teach anything.

As this is Sam’s first season on the hill as part of the picking up team I keep a pocket full of treats and use them to encourage him to return despite all the distractions.

Sorry I am probably going on a little but, in short, they get food treats throughout a working day too.

I do use treats to teach at the outset, together with lots of praise. Then they are reduced and used sparingly to reward a behaviour, particularly retrieving. When people ask me about dog training from scratch I recommend they read a book by Pippa Mattinson called “Total Recall”. It is a game changer and can be used in principle to teach anything.

As this is Sam’s first season on the hill as part of the picking up team I keep a pocket full of treats and use them to encourage him to return despite all the distractions.

Sorry I am probably going on a little but, in short, they get food treats throughout a working day too.
I would expect it takes a long time and lots of methods until it becomes second nature to the pups..... I find the training of the dogs fascinating. They are all hunting bird dogs right? Have you ever trained for anything else....?

I would expect it takes a long time and lots of methods until it becomes second nature to the pups..... I find the training of the dogs fascinating. They are all hunting bird dogs right? Have you ever trained for anything else....?
They are all hunting bird dogs in your terms but not trained to flush only to retrieve what has already been shot. Flushing dogs over here are usually spaniels. Using my retrieving dogs to flush would ruin them.

I trained my sons rottweiler before it was sold buy otherwise No. I have been training gundogs for about 45 years.

i shoulda put it together
one of my mom's fave films
i've seen pieces here & there but never start2finish
*puts that on my list*
It’s a fun movie! A clash of cultures. Physical comedy.

And Marisa Tomei as Mona Lisa Vito.

“My biological clock is tickin like this!”

Oh… and Fred Gwynne, (Herman Munster) as the judge “just achin to trow me inna clink.”
Well worth it.

Morning all. Didn’t shake my cold (stuffy nose, can’t valsalva, and woke up clammy this am), so had to burn a sick day (probably two) 🤢. I hate, hate, hate burning sick days on being sick!

The big storm blew over late yesterday. It left more clean-up than the actual Hurricane Deby/TS D! Oh the joys of living in hurricane alley. Our two retention pond pumps couldn’t keep up with the amount of rain (solid for 72 hrs or more and heavy the last 10-12) so they overflowed and our road looked like a fast running creek! We are high and dry though but the cleanup will not be fun.

Now, your Morning Z:

IMG_0011.jpeg

Morning all. Didn’t shake my cold (stuffy nose, can’t valsalva, and woke up clammy this am), so had to burn a sick day (probably two) 🤢. I hate, hate, hate burning sick days on being sick!

The big storm blew over late yesterday. It left more clean-up than the actual Hurricane Deby/TS D! Oh the joys of living in hurricane alley. Our two retention pond pumps couldn’t keep up with the amount of rain (solid for 72 hrs or more and heavy the last 10-12) so they overflowed and our road looked like a fast running creek! We are high and dry though but the cleanup will not be fun.

Now, your Morning Z:

View attachment 2393274
I’m sorry to read you are not feeling well especially in the middle of the heavy rain.

Back