What are your thoughts on this Jahi McMath situation...

Well, not anymore. Not now that I'M here to offer my EXPERT GENIUS OPINIONS on the INTERNET! We're saved!!

I want you to go full bond villain on this one.
i'm packing to live on your ark when you gas the muppets.

jesus-dinosaur_275w.jpg

Repent your sins; the Raptor is coming.

raptorjesus_thumb.png

I want you to go full bond villain on this one.
i'm packing to live on your ark when you gas the muppets.

YES! I've always wanted to be a Bond villain. But now that it's Daniel Craig, things might get a bit awkward, because I have quite a crush on him.

"I don't expect you to die, Mr. Bond. I expect you to spoon with me and maybe play with my hair a little bit, but only if you want to, but FYI you should want to want to because a relationship takes two, okay?? When are you meeting my parents."

Octopushy.

And yay! I will make a cool pillow fort for us in the crow's nest.

I think it's bizarre beyond the pale.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/health/jahi-mcmath-girl-brain-dead/index.html

(CNN) -- The family of Terri Schiavo has joined the battle over Jahi McMath, a 13-year-old girl on life support who has been declared dead by doctors.

*snippy*

Last month, Jahi had surgery to remove her tonsils, adenoids and extra sinus tissue. Doctors had recommended the surgery to treat pediatric obstructive sleep apnea, a condition that made her stop breathing in her sleep and caused other medical problems.

Before the surgery, Jahi said she was worried that she would never wake up, according to her uncle. She seemed fine after the surgery and asked for a Popsicle because her throat hurt.

It wasn't long before something went terribly wrong. In the intensive care unit, the girl began bleeding profusely -- an image that her mother told CNN would be forever seared in her mind.

According to family members, Jahi went into cardiac arrest. Days later, she was declared brain dead.

True, this is just what nobody ever wants to face, but her death is a reality even though they seem to think some miracle will occur. It is all too sad and at such a young age. I just wonder how would all this be now, if Jahi had died in her sleep at any time before the decision was made for that surgery. What would the actions and re-actions be then? Who would be blamed and where would the fingers be pointed.
Also, because her mother is grieving, she should think about it is time to put her daughter to rest and celebrate the short life she had, and stop the spectacle, because it's just becoming like a circus side-show.

as a mother, i'd want them to keep blood pumping through me until my baby was developed enough to be saved. if I was already dead it wouldn't hurt or harm me.

but I can see how it could seem obscene to others... but if the daughter had known she'd be pregnant when the subject arose, would she have made the same choice? it's a tough call but I think i'd go with the state having made the right call.

depressing stuff.

I don't think it is obscene at all. It's a tough situation when it is unknown if the
baby is brain damaged or not. Eric has lost his wife and Mum to his little boy and he might be facing raising a newborn who may be brain damaged.

I can understand how a grieving Mum would be inconsolable and want to believe the drs are wrong about Jahi.

Sadly brain dead means exactly that.

Our family all want to be organ donors when we pass. (If anything is
re usable. ;) )

Our family all want to be organ donors when we pass. (If anything is
re usable. ;) )
to me, that's what the pregnant mother is. she's dead and nothing can hurt her anymore, but her womb might give her baby a chance to live.

to me, that's what the pregnant mother is. she's dead and nothing can hurt her anymore, but her womb might give her baby a chance to live.

I get that. It's a hard situation for the family as they wait and see what happens when and if the baby is delivered.

"A 13-year-old US girl who was declared brain dead after surgery to remove her tonsils went horribly wrong has been handed into the custody of her mother and is being moved to a care facility"

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/01/06/17/05/brain-dead-teen-handed-over-to-family

It is interesting to read the responses in this thread, because I guess I still don't really understand why it is a "situation." I don't see any ambiguity here, and I cannot fathom how courts have even entertained it. From everything I've read, she is brain dead. That is not a turn of phrase, and it does not mean that she is in a coma or a vegetative state. It means that she is dead. When the hospital workers refer to her as a "cadaver," they are not being inhumane (though I will admit that it does sound a little insensitive), they are being medically and legally accurate.

It is tragic. She was way too young, and it was a routine operation. It is particularly heartbreaking that she vocalized her fears of not waking up ahead of time, but lots of people are scared before surgery, and I don't really see how that is a relevant point to the story.

I don't see any conflicted decisions. I don't see any patient's rights being violated, because she is not a patient anymore. She is dead. I wouldn't grant patient's rights to a body in a a bed just because the family is not ready to bury it. Am I missing something? Am I being insensitive? I think it's even sadder that it's been turned into a news story and that people who don't really understand what happened are vilifying the hospital staff. I am sure that it is not easy for them, either, but death is a reality of their jobs.

I recommend reading HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME by Victor Hugo.

Back