Where are the New England Peeps?

Wait…hang on: Split Enz became Crowded House?!?
Yes. Well, at least in part. Neil Finn formed Crowded House. The older brother, Tim, went solo. Then Tim joined Crowded House for a bit, but left. The story goes on.

The bad news is that the show has been postponed. No chicken wings for me.

Yes. Well, at least in part. Neil Finn formed Crowded House. The older brother, Tim, went solo. Then Tim joined Crowded House for a bit, but left. The story goes on.

The bad news is that the show has been postponed. No chicken wings for me.
Oh No!!! I’m so sorry!

Do you know what sucks? Have you noticed that for shows that are "postponed," they will not give you your money back. They hold it until the show is re-scheduled. That does not seem right.

M. That rea
Do you know what sucks? Have you noticed that for shows that are "postponed," they will not give you your money back. They hold it until the show is re-scheduled. That does not seem right.
That really sucks. The customer gets screwed yet again.

This thread needs a lift.

What's the farthest you've traveled from New England by and by plane? I've driven ME to Myrtle Beach a handful of times. Flying domestic as adult ME to Tampa FL. Internationally as a youngster, Japan.

I flew back and forth to Hong Kong 6 times in the period of a year before COVID

By car, the longest is to my family’s place in Cape Breton

This thread needs a lift.

What's the farthest you've traveled from New England by and by plane? I've driven ME to Myrtle Beach a handful of times. Flying domestic as adult ME to Tampa FL. Internationally as a youngster, Japan.
San Francisco is the farthest by plane. Ft. Myers, Florida by car.

Southern California by car, which is as far as you can go pretty much. Internationally? The UK.

In 1979 I hitchhiker to San Diego. Took 9 weeks, went through 33 states. Loved it but could never do it in these times.
Holy shit! That must have been some experience. Did you come away with some good stories & memories? Nope, no chance of that today, it’s a totally different world now.

I did that in 1970. Only 28 states, plus Ontario and Tijuana. (So, I guess, I did go a little beyond San Diego). Did it in 6 weeks.
And I was thinking that I would have been afraid to do that in 1979.
I hitchhiked twice. Once from high school to the gas station and I was with a dude but the guy that picked us up was ironically jamming out to R Kelly. I’m his defense it was 1999 so no one knew he was a perv. The second time was on block island and this sweet 80 year old woman picked us up ❤️. I think i would be more scared to pick up a hitchhiker

I hitchhiked twice. Once from high school to the gas station and I was with a dude but the guy that picked us up was ironically jamming out to R Kelly. I’m his defense it was 1999 so no one knew he was a perv. The second time was on block island and this sweet 80 year old woman picked us up ❤️. I think i would be more scared to pick up a hitchhiker
The issues are very different for women, especially women with sexy red lips and open mouths. I used to pick up hitchhikers whenever I saw them, but it is actually pretty rare these days.

You mention that, when you hitched on Block Islan, you were not alone, that she picked "us" up. First, an enclosed community like Block Island seems like it would be less risky. And traveling as a pair is safer. But there have always been risks for women. I relate one from our trip. I was with another guy for most of the trip. In Kansas, this van stopped and a group of guys offered us a ride. (and lots of beer during the ride). One of the guys showed us his pistol. He said that, if they saw a guy and a woman (he didn't use the word "woman") traveling together, they would let her in first, then point the gun at the guy's forehead and tell him he was not invited in. I have no idea if they were serious or not. But the gun was real.

The issues are very different for women, especially women with sexy red lips and open mouths. I used to pick up hitchhikers whenever I saw them, but it is actually pretty rare these days.

You mention that, when you hitched on Block Islan, you were not alone, that she picked "us" up. First, an enclosed community like Block Island seems like it would be less risky. And traveling as a pair is safer. But there have always been risks for women. I relate one from our trip. I was with another guy for most of the trip. In Kansas, this van stopped and a group of guys offered us a ride. (and lots of beer during the ride). One of the guys showed us his pistol. He said that, if they saw a guy and a woman (he didn't use the word "woman") traveling together, they would let her in first, then point the gun at the guy's forehead and tell him he was not invited in. I have no idea if they were serious or not. But the gun was real.
On block island I was with 2 other girls, and yeah, the place was at least safe at the time.
It’s definitely way more dangerous for a girl to hitch or pick up hitchhikers. That is a fucken wild story. I kinda don’t think they were kidding. Bunch a dudes drinking beers in a rape van lol. Yikes. Wouldn’t even try it today. Even if I had my own gun. Well unless it was fucking winter.

On block island I was with 2 other girls, and yeah, the place was at least safe at the time.
It’s definitely way more dangerous for a girl to hitch or pick up hitchhikers. That is a fucken wild story. I kinda don’t think they were kidding. Bunch a dudes drinking beers in a rape van lol. Yikes. Wouldn’t even try it today. Even if I had my own gun. Well unless it was fucking winter.
IF they meant it as a joke, it was not funny.
I did a lot of hitchhiking in the day, and there were lots of stories. Mostly good.
No 80 year old grandmothers that I can recall. I suspect she picked you up because she wanted to take care of you.
But a lot of hospitality. Invited to stay with people a couple of times.
From Massachusetts to Chicago, probably more than 1/2 of the people who picked us up offered us pot.
From Chicago to Seattle, lots of beer.
West Coast, pot again.
San Diego to Atlanta, back to the beer.
Atalnta to Virginia, no intoxicants.
Then the pot for the last leg of the trip.

IF they meant it as a joke, it was not funny.
I did a lot of hitchhiking in the day, and there were lots of stories. Mostly good.
No 80 year old grandmothers that I can recall. I suspect she picked you up because she wanted to take care of you.
But a lot of hospitality. Invited to stay with people a couple of times.
From Massachusetts to Chicago, probably more than 1/2 of the people who picked us up offered us pot.
From Chicago to Seattle, lots of beer.
West Coast, pot again.
San Diego to Atlanta, back to the beer.
Atalnta to Virginia, no intoxicants.
Then the pot for the last leg of the trip.
She did. We were talking about our friend Jamie who used to work out there and she was like “do you want me to take you to see Jaimie?” She was so freaking sweet.

I feel like none of your rides were with sober people except that leg from Atlanta to VA 😬

She did. We were talking about our friend Jamie who used to work out there and she was like “do you want me to take you to see Jaimie?” She was so freaking sweet.

I feel like none of your rides were with sober people except that leg from Atlanta to VA 😬

It wasn't everybody. And some people shared what they had without drinking or smoking themselves.
But it was definitely a time when getting high was common. No MADD at the time.

Back